2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

Originally Posted by GN1270
I think the concept looks great, but I do not think it is cute enough for female V6 drivers, and that is who GM really NEEDS to buy this car.
That's a really good point.
I too think the concept looks great (except for those goofy mirrors!), but it needs to appeal to the base that is going to support the car for years to come.
It doesn't have to be women. There are tons of male V6 buyers too. IMO, if they put a healthy V6 in the base model, it'll be very appealing to those that can't afford V8 insurance or V8 models.
S.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 AM

Re: All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

Originally Posted by Snorman
That's a really good point.
I too think the concept looks great (except for those goofy mirrors!), but it needs to appeal to the base that is going to support the car for years to come.
It doesn't have to be women. There are tons of male V6 buyers too. IMO, if they put a healthy V6 in the base model, it'll be very appealing to those that can't afford V8 insurance or V8 models.
S.
Just remember guys, Scott has reiterated this over and over again, THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CONCEPT,

The one we see next month could be a lot “cuter” as you put it… …I hope its not too cute….

I think however if (and it will) it has the daily livability the 4th gen did not really have it will be a success to this demographic

Last edited by stars1010; 12-12-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
is there any possibility of this car getting the green light in the first half of 2006 if the concept is well recieved by the normal (ie:not entusiasts) public? wouldn't that put us in CY2007?
Traditionally I have the feeling that no, it couldnt. But in order to keep turning things around I think itd be a cool move on GM's behalf to take a well recieved concept to showroom floors quickly while they've got the nations attention.

It was said a long time ago that the 5th gen might not be a multiple functioning concept car(s) like some are with numerous spy videos and what not. That it might just be something to show up without much preliminary warning. Wonder if thats still true or possible?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 PM

It seems to me that a major contributor to Chrysler's success has been its ability to get "concept" cars on showroom floors very quickly. Just look at the 300, Charger, Magnum, PT Cruiser, etc. It seems like I was seeing those on the streets as soon as I was hearing about the concepts. I didn't even know what a 300 was the first time I saw it. Even Ford is able to get a product out there with what seems like a great deal of efficiency.

GM on the other hand is very lethargic. Just look at the SSR. Discounting the fact that this was a misappropriation of GMs manpower to begin with, by the time it finally reached dealerships, any excitement there was about it had quickly been replaced by the next best thing. Even the Solstice took forever. If I'm not mistaken, It has been over three years since the unveiling of that concept. Do you think anybody holds their breath or runs down to place an order when that much time will pass before it is available. It's hard to be a leader when other manufacturers can see your concept and respond to it before you can even get your car on the road. I'm as much of an F-body fan as all of you, but I'm not allowing myself to get too excited about this whole thing. By the time they get it out there, the other car companies will be on their way to the next best thing. It's gotta be embarrasing (and bankrupting) always playing catch up.

All that being said, please build it, and build it fast. If this thing could be released in 2007 as a 2008 model, I would be on the waiting list.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Traditionally I have the feeling that no, it couldnt. But in order to keep turning things around I think itd be a cool move on GM's behalf to take a well recieved concept to showroom floors quickly while they've got the nations attention.

It was said a long time ago that the 5th gen might not be a multiple functioning concept car(s) like some are with numerous spy videos and what not. That it might just be something to show up without much preliminary warning. Wonder if thats still true or possible?

those are the thoughts that have been running through my head lately. the optimist in me keeps thinking that this car is way farther along than we all think it is. and that GM will just get it to the showrooms before we know what hit us.

i know this is unlikely, but i still think the best thing they can do right now is get this car to market within 18 months of the show, if not sooner.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM

As much as I'd like to see the "camaro" come back, it is not the car that saves GM like some think.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
DCR

Originally Posted by NikiVee
As much as I'd like to see the "camaro" come back, it is not the car that saves GM like some think.

Are you still clinging to the idea that the "camaro" will not be returning like you were six months ago? I don't think anyone who understands the automotive industry is pinning GM's survival on the success or failure of one car, but the overall reaction to this concept in addition to Cadillacs successful turnaround and the rumored improvements to Buick etc, do bode well for the future.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Honestly with it coming out this long after the new Stang, and being somewhat of a "me-too" kinda thing (not slamming the clay concept at all, I love it), I don't really see it being a huge huge success for GM either. I hope I'm wrong. Honestly I'm just hoping the thing sells well enough they don't kill it again within a couple years...