2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:54 PM

All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

I've seen many concepts come and go and never go into production. With GM's woes I can see it happen on an even greater scale now. Has the Camaro gotten the green light? What do you all give %-wise on the car going into production? I think the concept looks great, but I do not think it is cute enough for female V6 drivers, and that is who GM really NEEDS to buy this car.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Re: All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?

I think the chances of it going into production are like 99%...The only way I could see it not happening was if GM completely collapsed before it could get to market. GM really needs the Camaro right now...They don't really have many highly desirable cars, (besides Corvette, Solstice, Cadillacs, and a couple others). They need a car that people will go crazy over. The Camaro if it's done correctly will be/is that car...They can't afford to not bring it back
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM

Whats a Camaro? I thought this was about the 5th gen Chevette?

The Camaro is not going to be produced on its own chassis. It will be built along side RWD sedans of the Sigma-Lite chassis.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 PM

I supposed it's almost definite it's going to be produced. But I think how fast it gets here depends on how well it's received at NAIAS..

So, we should be prepared to make some noise.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:33 PM

Hell yeah. If its coming to your town, bring the fireworks, noise makers, and wear your Camaro tshirts.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Well to say its a green light and for sure going to be built unfortunetly can't be said. We know GM's position and there have been lots of near production cars that when it came time to build them couldn't do it. Now the concept Camaro I think will happen. I think the only question now is the details from the autoshow circut and how well its accepted.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM

I think I'm *almost* confident enough to hold my breath on this one.

.....but just to be on the safe side, I won't risk it!

I honestly DON'T see the Camaro NOT happening . There has been WAY too much hype about it, and too many people (inside GM) working on it IMO. Hell, look at the SSR. Did it get this much hype or attention? Yet it still made it to the streets. Camaro will happen, I'm sure.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Hell yeah. If its coming to your town, bring the fireworks, noise makers, and wear your Camaro tshirts.

does that mean you're gonna be in NY with your bells and whistles on too?????
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM

You betcha!! Unless they all get stolen when I go to Detroit.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
You betcha!! Unless they all get stolen when I go to Detroit.

like i told you in another thread......think Camden at night
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 PM

I'm hopin' to go to the NY Auto Show this year...I gotta' find a really cool Camaro shirt to wear when I go. I wish they had as many sweet Camaro shirts as they do for the 'Vette...Anyway, it could maybe be cool if we could get an NJ group to go to the NY show.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by slayerxxx213
...Anyway, it could maybe be cool if we could get an NJ group to go to the NY show.

i'm gonna get a thread goin on in the end of February/early March about getting a group together for NYIAS. maybe Al can get some of the guys from the NJ F-body group to go.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270
I've seen many concepts come and go and never go into production. With GM's woes I can see it happen on an even greater scale now. Has the Camaro gotten the green light? What do you all give %-wise on the car going into production? I think the concept looks great, but I do not think it is cute enough for female V6 drivers, and that is who GM really NEEDS to buy this car.
How many concepts came with a completely detailed CAD drawing of the chassis?

I can see this car happening even if GM files for bankruptcy (Chevy & Cadillac's line up will survive even if nothing else does).

With most all of the work already done, the car ("hypothetically") slated for 2008 as a 2009, and that GM can do a car in 18 months from that point, I'd say they can give the final go ahead as late as June 2007.

Word right now is that factory coordination is a far greater factor than anything else.

Last edited by guionM; 12-11-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:13 PM

Once development progresses to a certain point, it has to go forward for finanical reasons. Until a new vehicle goes into production, the development costs are capitalized per GAAP rules. Once that capital number builds up, if the company cancels the project, it has to write off the capitalized amount against current earnings - again, per GAAP rules. From a purely financial viewpoint, GM will reach a "point of no return." The real question is, "Have they reached that point yet?"
Old 12-11-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
With most all of the work already done, the car ("hypothetically") slated for 2008 as a 2009, and that GM can do a car in 18 months from that point, I'd say they can give the final go ahead as late as June 2007.

Word right now is that factory coordination is a far greater factor than anything else.

is there any possibility of this car getting the green light in the first half of 2006 if the concept is well recieved by the normal (ie:not entusiasts) public? wouldn't that put us in CY2007?

Quick Reply: All of this talk, has the Camaro gotten a green light?