2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gen focus group

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

5th gen focus group

In case anyone missed this, here's a quote I snagged from another thread here....

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
In the next few weeks, a group of enthusiasts will be making their way to Detroit to talk to us about the Camaro.......believe me -- we want to continue to get feedback.....Yes, we get feedback off the website -- but we need to do a 'deeper dive' -- and thus, we're spending some bux to do this.
Yesterday was our annual NY auto show "family" gathering with Scott and he was quite excited about this news.

At this point, there wasn't too much in terms of specifics that Scott could discuss. He used the words "confidentiality agreement" several times. LOL

This will be a different type of focus group. Not one comprised of "average" car buyers that have little knowledge of the automotive industry or the history behind the automobile. Instead, GM will assemble a small group of FCar enthusiasts to delve into some very specific Camaro issues.

They'll be more about this in the upcoming weeks. Stay tuned.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:06 PM

very exciting! hope to hear more about it soon, but likely wont know who went until 2009 after the car comes out.

All I can say is do us all proud whoever gets to attend
Old 04-07-2007, 09:44 PM

Oh, what I'd give to be on that project!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

All -- nothing I'd like better than to be able to hold many many focus groups on the new car. That, however, is just not practical. (there are only so many days until product launch.....)

Already I've received over three dozen 'volunteers' -- now...that certainly tells me of the passion you all share for the Camaro. Unfortunately, we've already selected a group of people from a very large pool.

We did not go out on the internet for an obvious reason - and that reason is the avalanche of emails that we'd receive. (again -- there are only so many days until product launch......)

so.......while I'm quite certain that there are many of you out there disappointed....I hope you'll also understand that we're quite busy-- but we felt that it was CRUCIAL to talk to long-time Fcar enthusiasts-- as well as a few 'younger' ones......

When you finally see who we talked to, I hope you'll see the balance that we tried to keep.

Meanwhile -- the future, indeed, looks bright!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Those are some lucky guys!!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:03 PM

Scott anyway we can get some details on what happened at these clinics after they occur?

I’m really interested to hear what direction “the enthusiast” go with this car.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Reading this comment
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
When you finally see who we talked to, I hope you'll see the balance that we tried to keep.
and based on my conversation with Scott last week, yes, there will be some things the participants will get to discuss publicly.

However, since there will be a requirement to sign a confidentiality agreement, I'm sure there will be LOTS the participants won't be able to discuss.

The overall message GM wants to deliver is they are utilizing all resources available to dial the 5th gen in.

Last edited by ChrisL; 04-09-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:04 PM

Great approach! Balance is key. As much as I like to think that all car folks are the same, I know that there are a number of generational issues to consider. Ultimately a vehicle that appeals to the mean of all groups is a likely to be the most profitable.

Now I have to express my feelings about not going.....

OK, now I'm better.

Dang it's Hell to grow old!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Reading this comment

and based on my conversation with Scott last week, yes, there will be some things the participants will get to discuss publicly.

However, since there will be a requirement to sign a confidentiality agreement, I'm sure there will be LOTS the participants won't be able to discuss.

The overall message GM wants to deliver is they are utilizing all resources available to dial the 5th gen in.
I would LOVE to see GM take this approach with ALL of their lineup. I think Cars like the new G8 and 08 Malibu will be hits. If GM would put (if not so already) this kind of effort into ALL of their line-up, you couldn't stop the general

I sure would have loved to be part of the "group." Guess I'll just have to wait two more years.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 PM

i hope that after the meeting... this group will at least be able to say if they are happy or not with the direction that the car is going, without going into specifics..
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Good stuff!

Would love to have been part of it.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Bert02SS

Been there, done that. GM held a consumer clinic in San Diego to get comments regarding the upcoming changes for the 98+ Camaro. The participants were all current F-body owners (I still had my 96 Z-28). The entire proceeding was video- and audio- taped, and there was some woman taking notes.

They rolled in a prototype Z-28 with the enlarged fake grill, and the covered headlights, etc. It was not well-received, and I remarked that the enlarged fake black "grill" reminded me of the intake of an F-100. The dweebs thought I was referring to the old Ford truck designation, and I had to explain to them that I was referring to a jet fighter designed in the late fifties.

Then, they rolled in an exquisitely detailed red mustang coupe. The silver Camaro was actually dirty, and underprepared for showing. We were asked to state our preferences and why. Needless to say, I told them I would prefer to compare cars that are equally prepared, and they apologized for the difference. It was a weird experience, we were sworn to secrecy, and signed something, I think. Oh, and I got a wad of cash for my time.

Of course, I bought a 2002 SS, so I guess the new styling grew on me.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM

Well the good news is we wont be dealing with any GM "dweebs" this time around.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

It's crucial that we get input on many product decisions from our enthusiast group. We normally get it from many sources -- including competitor owners......but I believe that it's absolutely necessary to get stuff in front of our enthusiasts....cuz what good is it if we build a car that doesn't deliver what you're looking for? (and please -- go back and read this last paragraph......we've talked to competitive owners -- and intenders -- )

Soooooo......

We went out to a "private" site that has about 1,000 members-- and posted an invitation for the members to submit an essay as to why they'd be ideal for a Camaro Summit. (before someone starts with 'why didn't you post it on all sites??' -- keep in mind that everyone is quite busy right now -- and frankly while it might be interesting to read thru a thousand or more essays, we simply don't have the time to do so.......further, we think we have a great cross-section of enthusiasts)

We received less essays that I'd thought we'd get......but the ones we got were GREAT.........

We tried to balance the group based on male/female -- HH Income -- Geographic Location -- Camaro/Firebird/Corvette ownership -- those active in clubs and the internet -- and -- most importantly-- AGE..........

And so I'm pleased to announce the group:

· Mr. Dan Porcaro -- High Bridge, NJ
· Ms. Cara Ferguson -- San Antonio, TX
· Ms. Selena Muhoberac -- Kenner, LA
· Mr. Jeremy Donovan -- Wallops Island, VA
· Mr. Jason Debler -- Clinton Twp, MI
· Ms. Sherrie Slocum -- Akron, OH
· Ms. Maggie Finn -- Colton, OR
· Ms. Cetera Heino -- Hillsboro, OR
· Mr. Chris Livote -- Chester, NY
· Mr. Kevin Kolvenbach -- Pine Bush, NY
· Mr. Elie Garfinkel -- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
· Ms. Janet Curran -- Yucaipa, CA

Three alternates were also selected for the summit in the event any of the original twelve selected participants can not attend. The three alternates are:

· Mr. Tim DeYoung -- South Holland, IL
· Mr. Art Schroeder -- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
· Ms. Millicent Odell -- Dallas, TX

We'll host them at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, MI in May of this year.......

Now is a good time to let your thoughts be known -- as you can see, there are a couple of members from this site that were selected.

(and no, I cannot take credit for those chosen -- the rest of the team picked the summit members.....)
Old 04-10-2007, 04:24 PM

No one from Washington state lol Oh well maybe next time lol

lol this time I signed in NOT Zhawk the bratt

Quick Reply: 5th gen focus group