2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

5th Gen/ 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Who cares let them bash the 4th gen all they want. Its probably what Chevy wants them to do. Think about it the 4th gen supposedly was viewed as this POS by public so if all the mags say how different teh 5th gen is then hopefully that old stigma will be washed away.

This is the most bizzare logic I have heard in a long time. I cannot see how GM would want to have a past model drug through the mud for the sake of the new model. The 5th Gen will be measured against modern competitors not against a car that was designed in the early 90's. I would remind you also that in 1993 the Z28 received fantastic reviews in most car mags. It wasn't till 5 years later when the car was essentially still a 93 that it was criticized.

The people making the choice as to what car to buy won't look at some whacky post on the net about cars made in the 90's. They will examine the cars in the market today. I don't care what a car says on the side of it, if it is not a good car and does not represent good value I will not buy it. I suspect that most others also look at the car before the name.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
The 5th Gen will be measured against modern competitors not against a car that was designed in the early 90's.
You did read the topic and the first post right? So I can assume that you read the part where the OP said that he was reading how the 5th gen was being praised and the 4th gen being ragged on? with no mention of modern competitors?

Also its not bizarre logic, the general car buying public are morons. They will hear Camaro and go omg those are so uncomfortable and the interiors were always crap. You sir are out of touch.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Thanks for missing my point. I was talking about fuel economy.

For a long time, even V6 Mustangs didn't match the fuel economy of an LS1 Camaro. Even today, a 2008 Mustang V6 M5 gets exactly the same EPA ratings as a 2002 Camaro V8 M6 (17/26).

Find me any V8 car, regardless of performance, that meets or beats an LS1 M6 on fuel economy. As I said before, the only one you'll find is Corvette.
Im not just talking about fuel economy.
Im talking about overall quality and build, ergonomics, etc etc...

I don't have any issues with my '02 that I would consider "ergonomic". All of the controls fall readily to hand. What are you referring to?
Heavy rake of windshield, very low seating position, poor rear visability, and overall subpar standard GM interiors.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Big Als Z
Im not just talking about fuel economy.
Im talking about overall quality and build, ergonomics, etc etc...
I'm not "just" talking about it either. I'm pointing out one of the 4th gen's strong points that always seems to get ignored. Apparently, you're going out of your way to continue to ignore it, even when I point it out.

Heavy rake of windshield, very low seating position, poor rear visability, and overall subpar standard GM interiors.
Low seating position is debatably an ergonomic issue. The rest would fall under some other category.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 PM

For me.. Im glad the camaro is breaking away from the 4th gen...

You would be surprised by the number of poeple who find out that I'm getting a camaro and look at me saying "why", and then list off the reasons everyone else on here has.. poor build quality, poor ride, terrible looks, bad rep and all. Yes they admit they where fast and great on gas, but the drawbacks just leave them as a track car.

Then I show them pics of the 5th gen, and their perception changes. They are still skeptical, but they want to ride in it when I get mine.

So in the end... I'm glad the "rags" are dissing the 4th gen. Cause I'm with them. Never would own one, and personally I want the 5th to be a success.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:09 AM

I am personally not a fan of the 4th gen. Had they not been blessed with such an amazing powertrain selection, it would have been a different story.

5th gen is going to take the Camaro to a new level.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 AM

I am personally not a fan of the 4th gen. Had they not been blessed with such an amazing powertrain selection, it would have been a different story.

5th gen is going to take the Camaro to a new level.
I am sick of hearing the term "poor man's vette" I hope the 5th gen gets rid of that.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM

The hatchback for me is a must have. I use my car as a daily driver, and have to load large and cumbersome objects into it almost daily for work. I actually have removed the passenger seat which opens up more space for junk that I carry. Otherwise, I couldn't drive this car exclusively.

Doubtless, the 5th gens will be great and groundbreaking, but just not my style.

Yeah, I know, I should buy a truck.