2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Gen/ 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Angry 5th Gen/ 4th Gen

Ok, our car is only a couple of months away and we can't wait to jump in our new and improved Camaro. GM has obviously spent alot of money time and effort to try to correct the shortcomings of the 4th gen cars. I have one question though...

WHY DOES EVERY MAGAZINE THAT REVIEWS THE NEW CAMARO BASH THE 4TH GEN SOO BAD?

Everyone complains about the materials, build quality, ect, but the 4th gen cars were on par with most cars in the mid 90's - early 2000's! Not to mention it looked totally bad ***, had a great amount of power for the time, and would trounce almost anything it came upon on the street. All the magazines loved the Mustangs of that era, even though they wre using a 15-20 year old platform, made lousy power, and were shaped like bricks. What do people have against the 4th gens. In my mind these will always be awesome cars.

Last edited by CTK1; 09-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 AM

I think it's the whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing. Yes, at the time they were great. But looking at what will be available in a few month, it's really hard to compare the two. Truly is an evolution of an icon.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Admin Emeritus

When the 4th gen came out, yes it was on par. However, by the late 90's, it was not. Performance was always awesome, but not everyone buys a performance car for that, just like many people buy an expensive diving watch but never go in the ocean.

I loved my 4th gens, but I am glad to see the car evolve so much to the point where the only thing that is shared is the name.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 AM

There is nothing wrong with the 4th gens and they were certainly on par for their class in many aspects in for several years after they were introduced in '93. The problem was they didn't evolve. So what were good reviews in '93 were no longer good or good enough in 2000 and defiantly not by '02 when the car was dropped. We know and are fans of those cars and like them for what they are. To the rags they were a big engine in a large dimension wise car with a cramped back seat, poor visibility and a hump in the passenger floor and between the rear seats.
So their memory is only as good as the last time they wrote about the Camaro and that probably wasn't a good review.
I agree it’s unfair to the 4th Gen cars but to the public the review may show to them that this Camaro is truly updated and modern and is a departure from the last generation. Let’s face it the 4th Gens didn’t sell very well in the end and were dropped so distancing this Camaro from those is probably a good thing.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

because its true. GM cut corners the entire life cycle of hte 4th gen, including its first year when they chose to keep the 3rd gen's floorpan. frankly, it was doomed from the get go.

if it werent for SLP breathing some life into FCar with the SS/WS6 in '96 the car would have been gone in 1999. GM was stlll selling enough to keep Ste Therese open.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
because its true. GM cut corners the entire life cycle of hte 4th gen, including its first year when they chose to keep the 3rd gen's floorpan. frankly, it was doomed from the get go.

if it werent for SLP breathing some life into FCar with the SS/WS6 in '96 the car would have been gone in 1999. GM was stlll selling enough to keep Ste Therese open.

while you are correct, i wonder why though, the Mustang lived and was as successful as it was, with the 20+ year old platform known as FOX body to begin with, which debuted in 79, and lived to 2004, with only minor changes, and alot of reskinning.

what exactly made the mustang "liveable" when the same age roughly chassis, didnt for the Camaro.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Purple 92 SS
What exactly made the mustang "liveable" when the same age roughly chassis, didnt for the Camaro.
For me it was a comfortable seating position and useable space. Thats why my wife has a '00 Mustang GT rather than a 4th gen.(even with a 5sp it's still a slug though...)
Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I can't argue with the build quality issues... but in addition to leading the class in performance, V8 4th gens also led in fuel economy and safety.

I have read several positive reviews of 4th gens. When the supercharged Cobalt came out (2005?), Car and Driver ran an article about how it was pretty quick, but boy did they sure miss the Z28.

Plus, I'd like to see someone fit an entire prehung 36" exterior door, in the packaging, in any recent Mustang. Or 14 cubic feet of bagged mulch. Or six 18-gallon Rubbermaid-style totes. These are all things I can do in my Camaro. With the rear seat folded, it's perfect for me, my wife, and our dog to drive across the state to my in-laws' place.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-26-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Settlemire transported a full-size grandfather clock in a 4th gen Camaro, with the hatch closed. He had to do it very carefully, but he did it.

The 5th gen...I don't think so because it isn't a hatchback, but I have seen it with the seats down, and it isn't terrible.

Hell...do they even make hatchbacks any more? Was the 4th gen f-car the last to be a hatchback and to have t-tops?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 PM

i think the mile long doors coupled with the low seating position (more difficult to get in and out of) along with the plastic/rattley interior with no back seat is what the mags focus(ed) on.

the 4th gen was as close to poor man's vette as possible, so much so that it wasnt a very good daily driver for many people. (the mustang on the other hand is much more in line with your average 4 door in terms of daily driveability and ergonomics.)

its still my favorite though and i'll never get rid of mine.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Celebrate the 4th gen

So the 4th gen cars should be celebrated for what they were in their time and their contribution to the Camaro heritage. Dont bust on it because the 5th gen is a better car. Like somebody said, the 5th gen is an evolution. Its not fair to compare it to the 4th gens. That would be like comparing the 5th gen to a 1st gen and calling the 1st gen a piece of crap, which it most certainly is not. The 5th gen has definitely improved on the 4th gen, but the 4th gen is still a great car! Better than any Mustang that I've ever rode it. Ouch, can't believe I admitted to that.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD

Hell...do they even make hatchbacks any more? Was the 4th gen f-car the last to be a hatchback and to have t-tops?

The Volt is a hatchback, isn't it?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

There are lots of hatchbacks. They're called 3-doors and 5-doors these days. VW Golf/Rabbit is a hatchback. There's a hatchback version of the Focus. Mazda3 comes in a hatchback version.

Also, Corvette is still a hatchback, even in ZR1 form.

There are lots more.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-26-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:07 PM

I think the long doors and low ride height is what contributed to its awesome looks. The 4th gens looked like nothing else on the road, except maybe the corvette. Ill admit its not the most practical car, but it looks awesome and is a blast to drive. I dont mind practically sitting on the ground it it gives me a car as great as the 4th gen. If you want a comfortable grocery getter buy an Impala, if you want to turn people's heads when the hear you coming, and turn them again when they see you tear on by, get a Camaro!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:44 PM

Its all relative.
4th gens were good at performance, but everything else suffered.
5th gens get the performance, on top of everything else it lacked for 9 years.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen/ 4th Gen