2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It was 4 years ago today........

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

It was 4 years ago today........

It was four years ago today...........

.......at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit --

-- That Chevrolet unveiled the Camaro Concept to the world.

Many of our fellow Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts were invited to Detroit to be a part of the unveiling -- and as they can tell you, the Camaro Concept stole the show.

I'll never forget watching the faces of so many as the Silver Concept made its way out onto the stage - and then down the aisle -- surrounded by thousands of cheering men and women......

I'll never forget watching a few Chrysler Executives walking over to the Camaro -- and one saying -- (very simply) "Ouch...."

It was a great day to be a Camaro guy or gal.......and my email inbox filled very quickly with comments.

And nearly every message was the same: "BUILD IT!"

followed by "...and it had BETTER look like the concept!!! Don't you DARE screw it up!!!!"

I know January 9th, 2006 was a day I will never forget --

Eight months later, in August of 2006, we announced (in front of Camaro/Firebird Enthusiasts at the General Motors Technical Center) that we had just 'green-lighted' the Camaro - and that it would go into production in the 2010 model year.

We started work in earnest in September of that year --

Fast forward to today, January 9, 2010 -- and our dreams have been realized.

I'm sitting in the Chevy Exhibit as workers frantically rush around getting ready for NAIAS 2010 -- and I'm looking at some Camaros on the floor -- and I still have "Perma-Grin"................

For the seventh month in a row, the new Camaro has outsold Mustang and Challenger combined........

.........and while I want to recognize the date, January 9, 2006 -------

..........I guess I REALLY want to say 'Thank You' --once again (and I can never do it enough) -- for "Keepin' the Faith" --

It would have been very easy for many of you to simply "abandon ship" --

But you didn't.........

Yes, Camaro went on 'Hiatus'...........

-- and when it did, a peculiar thing happened:

Camaro Enthusiast Events continued to be held -- (and many of you put thousands of hours into bringing us memorable times together....) -- and attendance increased!

-- and Websites continued to support us -- (...and I must thank Jason Debler and Chris Frezza for 15 years of hard work in bringing us CamaroZ28.com) -- (...and Jason Ory and his group for a decade of hard work at Z28.com) -- and then there are the hundreds of other Camaro and Camaro/Firebird sites...........

And of course, your letters and emails continued to flood into GM Headquarters -- making it clear that we MUST build a 5th gen.........

Does every Camaro enthusiast love the new Camaro? .....no, I'm afraid not -- but those that don't are in the minority. Frankly, no matter what design we would have chosen, we know that not everyone's gonna love what they see.

But what DOES let me know that the new Camaro hit it's mark is simply this: When you drive the new Camaro, the public treats it like a Rock Star - nearly a YEAR after they hit the road -- and 4 years since the Concept was unveiled.

-- and then there are the emails and notes we continue to receive from those who have just taken delivery of a new Camaro........telling us how much they love their new Camaro........and how many of them have become so emotionally attached to their new Camaro..............

In fact, the new Camaro has spurred a whole host of "New" Camaro sites - "moderncamaro.com" "5thgen.org" and "camaro5.com" to name just to name a few......bringing us a whole 'new' set of Camaro enthusiasts............

So...........on behalf of "Team Camaro" --

..........Thank You -- Thank You -- Thank You --

.................for all you've done for this Legendary Brand...........

........and know that "We aren't done yet!" -- there is much more to come.....................

Now - -go hug your Camaro!

Last edited by Fbodfather; 01-09-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
wbt

Outstanding post sir!

Regardless of what brand/model affiliation one chooses, there is nothing that beats the comradery between the members of the community.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Now - -go hug your Camaro!
I just hugged both of mine. I loved my 99 z28 so much I couldn't bear to let it go. 150,000 trouble free miles and counting!

Last edited by Z28Taxman; 01-09-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM

What a great time that was. Seems like yesterday...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 PM

The concept made it downunder, too.

It was a magnificent looking vehicle with those huge 21/22" wheels and massive rotors and that fuel filler cap sitting almost horizontally on the rear flanks (unfortunately that never translated onto the production version).

<Rant>

When the concept was revealed, we were led to believe that the Camaro would be destined to replace Monaro. Holden's then CEO Denny Mooney even hinted that the Camaro would be priced in the AUD$50K mark (under Monaro's RRP). Now, all I keep hearing is that there is "no way" that Camaro would arrive, and if it did, it would be priced at +$80K to keep it away from HSV prices!!! Now, we no longer have a desirable V8 coupe down here.

GM has typically had issues bringing vehicles to market outside of Europe and NA. I don't want to sound like a sour puss when we should be commemorating a special occasion, but I just wish the RHD version wasn't an issue that, we, the potential customer, needs to put up with as an excuse for the car not being exported to RHD markets. I understand money is tight at present and RHD production will cost GM money, but if other manufacturers are able to cater for our market requirements, so can GM!

Long story short... Please GM, turn our dreams into reality and give us the GM cars we lust after!

</Rant>
Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Scott, make sure to save some memory space for the release of the Z28......

Old 01-11-2010, 07:34 AM

i cant believe it was that long ago. i can remember it like it was yesterday. lucky for me i could get rid of my trans am so i could buy this amazing car.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Admin Emeritus

We discussed this in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast #227!