2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2012 Camaro ZL1 Lap Time Around the Ring is in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM

Re: 2012 Camaro ZL1 Lap Time Around the Ring is in...

Originally Posted by Chevycobb
I think the reason that was said was to not create competition within chevrolet. Pricing aside, because we don't know it, people may cross shop a base corvette and a ZL1.
That was my understanding as well. I am sure people will cross shop them (indirectly mostly, directly if you dont care about the differences) but I dont think that is a bad thing.

Why would I buy a new vette, our a slightly used Z06, when I could get a new ZL1 with more power, and better suspension/handling for (allegedly) a similar price?
I am not even going to try to pretend to know better than you do why you personally would choose one vehicle over another. Something I may think to be an advantage you may think the opposite and vise versa. I think there is enough differentiation between the two.

Vette

- Roughly1000 lbs lighter (Bob went with the Vette for this reason
- Smaller sports car my cousin has both a C6 Z06 and a 2011 SS. He likes the SS but says its a much bigger car.
- The Vette still sits lower

Camaro

- Handling and refinement. The fact were even comparing here speaks volumes for this ZL1
- 4 seats. Some people dont care about this. I do. Boss Leguna Seca removed them
- Styling, although both are beautiful cars.

Bob choose Vette over Camaro and Mustang, and hes a Ford guy.

Competition is good, but bad within the same company.
Like I said I see them as indirect competition which fills holes in the vehicle lineup. People will absolutely cross shop them. For me it would come down to several things.

How much money do I have?

Size - and do I want 4 seats or can I trade them for weight savings for a more pure lower center of gravity sports car?

Weight - The Grand Sport Vette is one bad machine. Ive never driven anything with a small block that had the small sports car feel of my 82 RX7 and that is saying A LOT!

I was just a little annoyed the Camaro at least to me seemed like it could be a better product for the same price but wasnt. Also if I like the Vette but need 4 seats I might go elsewhere. My brother for example has 2 kids and got a 4 door 335i

Ford doesn't really have that problem, so they aren't scared to step on its own toes.
Like I said before though, it does make me excited for the next gen corvette as we make a step forward with a new power plant (smaller displacement with direct injection I'm betting), and it may find itself in the camaro later on. Unfortunately, we won't know more on that until the ZL1 had been selling so they don't steal sales from it.
I agree on being excited about the next Vette. I am nervous about the styling. I like the styling of this one so much I am hoping the next one wont be just change for change sake. The C6 is a much prettier car than the Transformers Stingray concept for example.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 10-10-2011 at 07:22 PM.