2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro V6 HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Mark my words Mustang GT high 13's, v6 Camaro low 14's. Much closer race than you think. Seriously the fact we are even debating this speaks volumes about how disappointing the GT is.
Well have to see, if the '10 Mustang is .2 seconds quicker than the previous car, then it should (if my car is any indication) eclipse the mid 13 second zone in the right conditions. Still not too shabby.

as for speaking volumes about how dissappointing the GT is, I'd say only through the lens of what more or less can be considered a mustang-haters (to generically combine a long list of people), for the average guy, the GT is plenty fast and they will admit it.

Last edited by bossco; 01-15-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
man this guy is in love with mustangs. your spending more time defending the mustangs than you are surprised that the camaro(v6) will take the mustang. kinda pathetic
I'm a big fan of the new Camaro V6. I think as a base car, it's downright awesome.

At the same time, I have enough common sense to know that the new Mustang GT (despite only 16 horsepower more) will do alot more than just embarass the poor jerk dumb enough to actually confuse a 5.9 0-60 Camaro V6 to the roughly 5.1 or below time of the Mustang GT.

That's not pathetic... that simply haveing shreds of common sense and an ability to understand the concept of numbers.

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
GM Estimated 27 MPG
That and 304 horsepower too.... in a base car.... that costs $22K!

That's why I feel the new Camaro is far more impressive than the V8 powered SS. Horsepower takes little effort to pack into a car. Making a car this impressive in standard form takes alot of effort.

not really because all of those parts are stock components
Please explain further.

i guess the standards im using in comparing this mustang gt to the v6 camaro is from the past years. if you were to put a gt up against a v6 camaro 4th gen, back in 01-02, it wouldnt even be a close call. but given the technology and the hp number, new suspensions, and every other aspect of a totally redesigned car, its looking very competative to the new gt. also because the v6 isnt even worried about the v6 mustang, the gt is the next thing to compare it to. the ss is shooting at the gt500 and the v6 is shooting at the gt. yeah both may lose the race, but it is still very interesting that the under dog of the crowd is that close to the next level of competition.
My friend, you are letting your Camaro enthusiasm get in the way of good old fashioned common sense. Defending yourself at this point is going to send you down into a hole you won't get out of.

Forget all the mumbo-jumbo about so-called "advanced" suspensions, or that abstract idea of "technology". You need nothing more than horsepower numbers, torque numbers, gearing, and vehicle weight. The bottom line is that anyone with a room tempreature IQ isn't going to think that their Camaro V6 will even come close to a Mustang GT. New or current.

Let me put it in the starkest numbers I can:

1. The 2010 (and current Mustang GT) V8 Mustang weighs right around 3525 pounds. The V6 Camaro weighs 3751.

2. The Mustang GT lays down 325 lbs/ft of torque (same as an LT1 and only 10 off of an LS1!!...current Mustang GT is still 320 lbs/ft).... The V6 Camaro?.... only 273.

3. The axle ratio of the 2010 Mustang GT has a downright aggressive 3.73 rear axle ratio.....the Camaro V6 has a modest 3.27 (current GT has a 3.31).

Far more torque, way more aggressive axle ratio, and over 200 pounds lighter.

Again, I'm a big fan of the new Camaro V6. I'm into handling far more than I'm in to having the unquestionably quickest car in the city, but I still like a car fast enough to make me smile........ but I ain't moronic enough to take a 2010 Camaro V6 against a Mustang GT thinking my V6 Camaro will keep up in a race, or dumb enough to think it would even be close.

If YOU want to buy a new Camaro V6 go up against a new (or even current) Mustang GT on "PINKS" on the Speedchannel, I'll be glad to watch it...... and I'll certainly join everyone else in TV land laughing my bottom off at the expression on your face as you hand over the keys of the car you're still paying on.

I feel the new Camaro V6 has the potential to be a great car... gut geez!!

Last edited by guionM; 01-16-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chevymuscle311
Mark my words Mustang GT high 13's, v6 Camaro low 14's. Much closer race than you think. Seriously the fact we are even debating this speaks volumes about how disappointing the GT is.
My friend.....

I'm aware your screen name means that you are a devoted and rabid Chevrolet fan, but take the time and stop long enough to let the mind catch up with the smack talking fingers doing the typing here, and actually think about things for a moment.

The CURRENT Mustang GT runs an average of 13.6 quarters.

The Cadillac CTS V6 with the 304 horse engine the 2010 Camaro has weighs a mere 100 pounds more than a V6 Camaro (3861 vs 3751), yet does the quarter in 14.8.

The NEW Mustang GT has a far more aggressive axle than the the current one (3.73 vs 3.31). That item alone will certainly drop the 2010 Mustang GT below 13.5..... perhaps even dramatically so, given how the modest weight Mustangs respond to simple axle changes.

GM is taking about half a second off of the CTS' 0-60 run (roughly 6.4 seconds) and the same off the quarter mile (which bring it down from 14.8 to about 14.3).

You are talking a bigger gap between the 2010 V6 Camaro and the current Mustang GT than exists between the current Mustang GT and the best stock LS1 Camaro times.

AND....The 2010 Mustang will be notably quicker than the current one.

Again, enthusiasm is nice, but enthusiasm doesn't win races when the numbers don't support you.

But also, again.... it would make quite a funny episode of "Pinks".

The Camaro V6 is a quick, world class road carver. I may even buy one.

But let's be serious!

It certainly won't beat a Mustang GT in acceleration.

Last edited by guionM; 01-16-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:18 AM

The V6 Camaro will probably be almost a full second slower than the next GT.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 AM

We should also bear in mind that the 2011 Mustang GT will be sporting a 5.0L engine with ~400 horsepower. Now I'm not trying to instigate anything here, but there might be some Camaro SS owners who aren't talking quite as loud when the five-oh hits the streets again (yes, I know it's a completely different engine). The Ford camp even has the Ecoboost V6 on the way, if that's still on. GM better bring it's A-game with the 5th gen.

And all of this is from a guy who would probably buy a Camaro RS (it's what i can afford)...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM

My thoughts -- if you want to run at the track, get a V8. I have a 2000 SS doing 428 rwhp. I'm going to get a 2LT/RS as a daily driver. If I want to go fast, I get in a V8.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm a big fan of the new Camaro V6. I think as a base car, it's downright awesome.

At the same time, I have enough common sense to know that the new Mustang GT (despite only 16 horsepower more) will do alot more than just embarass the poor jerk dumb enough to actually confuse a 5.9 0-60 Camaro V6 to the roughly 5.1 or below time of the Mustang GT.

That's not pathetic... that simply haveing shreds of common sense and an ability to understand the concept of numbers.

That and 304 horsepower too.... in a base car.... that costs $22K!

That's why I feel the new Camaro is far more impressive than the V8 powered SS. Horsepower takes little effort to pack into a car. Making a car this impressive in standard form takes alot of effort.

Please explain further.

My friend, you are letting your Camaro enthusiasm get in the way of good old fashioned common sense. Defending yourself at this point is going to send you down into a hole you won't get out of.

Forget all the mumbo-jumbo about so-called "advanced" suspensions, or that abstract idea of "technology". You need nothing more than horsepower numbers, torque numbers, gearing, and vehicle weight. The bottom line is that anyone with a room tempreature IQ isn't going to think that their Camaro V6 will even come close to a Mustang GT. New or current.

Let me put it in the starkest numbers I can:

1. The 2010 (and current Mustang GT) V8 Mustang weighs right around 3525 pounds. The V6 Camaro weighs 3751.

2. The Mustang GT lays down 325 lbs/ft of torque (same as an LT1 and only 10 off of an LS1!!...current Mustang GT is still 320 lbs/ft).... The V6 Camaro?.... only 273.

3. The axle ratio of the 2010 Mustang GT has a downright aggressive 3.73 rear axle ratio.....the Camaro V6 has a modest 3.27 (current GT has a 3.31).

Far more torque, way more aggressive axle ratio, and over 200 pounds lighter.

Again, I'm a big fan of the new Camaro V6. I'm into handling far more than I'm in to having the unquestionably quickest car in the city, but I still like a car fast enough to make me smile........ but I ain't moronic enough to take a 2010 Camaro V6 against a Mustang GT thinking my V6 Camaro will keep up in a race, or dumb enough to think it would even be close.

If YOU want to buy a new Camaro V6 go up against a new (or even current) Mustang GT on "PINKS" on the Speedchannel, I'll be glad to watch it...... and I'll certainly join everyone else in TV land laughing my bottom off at the expression on your face as you hand over the keys of the car you're still paying on.

I feel the new Camaro V6 has the potential to be a great car... gut geez!!
the whole point of this debate is that its goign to be a fairly close race between the 2. whether it be a second or more. the point is that ist not that far behind it. as far as the v6, im not buying one. i ordered a ss. i dont really care how well the v6 does against the gt i just think its goign to hold its own against them. sure the mustang has advantages ofer the v6 camaro but its still a v6 contending with a v8. much respect to the gt but the v6 camaro isnt far behind. i dont think i ever said that the camaro would beat it, at all in these post. and if i did i didnt meen to. modded v6, sure. it can take it. but i was just saying that the v6 is a competator to the gt. shoot me for making an assumption but i wasnt the only guy to ever say this. im just the guy saying it now.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM

as far as explainging to you further about the "stock" accesories that gmpp is offering. you know what im talking about. the headers, intake, exhaust...etc. all the components that are dealer installed through gmpp. technically they are concidered stock components because they do not void the warranty and are dealer installed. im sure you have some wonderful responce for this though. because somehow , im always wrong.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

technically they are concidered stock components because they do not void the warranty.
I disagree with this. Regardless of where you bought the parts, who installed them, or the status of your warranty -- if the car has been modified at all since it left the factory, it's not stock.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Well have to see, if the '10 Mustang is .2 seconds quicker than the previous car, then it should (if my car is any indication) eclipse the mid 13 second zone in the right conditions. Still not too shabby.

as for speaking volumes about how dissappointing the GT is, I'd say only through the lens of what more or less can be considered a mustang-haters (to generically combine a long list of people), for the average guy, the GT is plenty fast and they will admit it.
Bossco, do you have 3.55 gears in your Mustang? Is it automatic or manual?

Like I said previously, the 05-09' GT is capable of mid 13's (fastest verified is 13.4 or 13.5) bone stock. However, most drivers are in the high 13's in those cars and there are plenty even in the low 14's.

The 2010 GT comes standard with the 3.55 gears I believe and has 3.73 gears as an option. The 13.7 that one of the major mags ran in the 2010 GT was in a standard GT with the 3.55 gears.

However, one of the major mags also did a comparison test of the Challenger SRT-8 and the Mustang Bullitt on the same day at the same track. The Challenger went 13.2 and the Bullitt only ran 13.7 and did so five consecutive times with only 0.09 seconds separating all those runs. They praised it for how consistent it was and said people could use it as a bracket racer.

Remember that the 2008 Bullitt is essentially the 2010 GT with the optional 3.73 gears (Bullitt comes standard with 3.73 gears).

There has also been test of the Bullitt where it has run as quick as 13.2 with a very good driver behind the wheel and likely good track conditions.

I would take from this that the 2010 GT with the optional 3.73 gears should be a very consistent 13.5 to 13.8 second car (but capable of low 13's). That will likely put it a half second or more faster than a 2010 Camaro V6. That is NOT a close race.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM

as far as explainging to you further about the "stock" accesories that gmpp is offering. you know what im talking about. the headers, intake, exhaust...etc. all the components that are dealer installed through gmpp. technically they are concidered stock components because they do not void the warranty and are dealer installed. im sure you have some wonderful responce for this though. because somehow , im always wrong.
Well, the wrongness is right in your post. GMPP. Not factory. GMPP. So yes, you are wrong.

There are lots of things I can do to a car without voiding the warranty, regardless of where I got the parts. That does not mean that the vehicle is stock.

Obviously, the car ships stock, and then the GMPP parts are installed at the dealer, which means that they replace the stock parts. I'm not quite sure how you could think that a vehicle who's stock components have been replaced is "stock."
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by guionM

Now Guy! I agree with pretty much everything you said, but the LS1 F-bodies put close to 325lbs/ft to the GROUND stock. The 4.6 in the Mustang GT is not making the same torque as the LS1.

Also, do not forget that the 3.73 gears are OPTIONAL! Only the enthusiasts will opt for those and I would venture to guess that most of your GT's will have the standard rear gears.

As for standard gears, I believe the 05-09' GT had the 3.31's standard and 3.55's optional. The 10' GT will have 3.55's standard and 3.73's optional. Is that correct?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Bossco, do you have 3.55 gears in your Mustang? Is it automatic or manual?
an 07 with M5 & 3.55 gears.

Originally Posted by ZZtop
I would take from this that the 2010 GT with the optional 3.73 gears should be a very consistent 13.5 to 13.8 second car (but capable of low 13's). That will likely put it a half second or more faster than a 2010 Camaro V6. That is NOT a close race.
I can agree with that, on paper its nothing, but when that 1/2 second faster guy is in the other lane it sure does look different.

Last edited by bossco; 01-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I disagree with this. Regardless of where you bought the parts, who installed them, or the status of your warranty -- if the car has been modified at all since it left the factory, it's not stock.
ok. so if i have these items on my invoice from when i purchased the car, they still arent conciderded stock?even though their backed by the warranty? well, that sure sounds like a stock component but whatever. call it what you want.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 01-16-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by boxerperson
Well, the wrongness is right in your post. GMPP. Not factory. GMPP. So yes, you are wrong.

There are lots of things I can do to a car without voiding the warranty, regardless of where I got the parts. That does not mean that the vehicle is stock.

Obviously, the car ships stock, and then the GMPP parts are installed at the dealer, which means that they replace the stock parts. I'm not quite sure how you could think that a vehicle who's stock components have been replaced is "stock."
nevermind

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 01-16-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro V6 HP