2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Income vs Purchase
Household makes less than 50k a year cant purhcase a new Camaro.
7.69%
Household makes less than 50k a year CAN Purchase new Camaro.
11.54%
Household makes less than 75k a year Cant Purchase a new Camaro
10.26%
Household makes less than 75k a year CAN Purchase a new Camaro
19.87%
Household makes less than 100k a year Cant Purchase a new Camaro
10.26%
Household makes less than 100k a year CAN Purchase a new Camaro
10.90%
Household makes less than 125k a year Cant Purchase a new Camaro
1.92%
Household makes less than 125k a year CAN Purchase a new Camaro
8.97%
Household makes less than 150k a year Cant Purchase a new Camaro
1.28%
Household makes less than 150k a year CAN Purchase a new Camaro
17.31%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Camaro Price vs Household Income Poll

Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM

Between my wife and I we make just a hair under 100k, but since we bought our house, I'm going to have to eliminate some credit cards plus my truck (not trading the truck, trucks way too useful) from the bill list before I can buy. That puts me late next year or early 2010...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM

I'm almost 27, not married, no kids, own my own house. No credit card debt. I currently pay 470.91/month for my vehicle which will be paid off in December this year. I will in turn have a great daily driver for when I take delivery of the SS2 I just ordered.

I do have a live in girlfriend who helps with some bills, and completely supports the purchase.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM

me and my girlfriend make less than 125,000 a year and i am buying a new camaro. i dont have any credit card debt and we are in a very good situation with bills and loans. mines on order!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
dz

We make ~120k a year and can afford it. Like what most people have said though, should we? I believe that's the true question.

I've wanted the car just as bad as any of you. I drove from Philly in my 97 Camaro to Detroit for the unveiling. I took a ton of posters and mailed them out to the members on this board to further spread the fire. I've had the poster hanging up at work and in my garage ever since.

There's no doubt that I want the car. Responsibly though, I can't justify spending $35k on the one that I want and I don't want to spend $25k knowing that I'm not getting exactly what I want. I'll be extremely jealous when they start showing up on the roads, but this isn't my call. Until the country is a little more stable, I need to keep my money.

Hopefully whoever gets to be next in office can put us in the right direction. The second I see things taking a turn for the better, you can rest assured I'll be on my way to the dealership. Until then, I'll just have to drool all over yours.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Interesting how you have $150K at the top end....like that's a high income.

Going into debt to buy anything is wrong. period. Except maybe a house...everybody needs a roof.

Most Americans can't responsibly afford a new car. period. Making payments for years on something that depreciates is absolute $%&*@ .

The current financial meltdown is the direct result of most American's reckless, irresponsible spending and a choice to live beyond their means.

I'm baffled by people's ability to tolerate debt!

off podium

Last edited by ronssito; 10-14-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ronssito
yes, i know its not much, but in my experience, very few make more than that a year that i know personally, thus i was trying to show how many who cant really afford the "every mans corvette" anymore per sae.

Going into debt to buy anything is wrong. period. Except maybe a house...everybody needs a roof.
True, but look at gas these days, until recently you practically had to take a loan out to fill up.

Most Americans can't responsibly afford a new car. period. Making payments for years on something that depreciates is absolute $%&*@ .

The current financial meltdown is the direct result of most American's reckless, irresponsible spending and a choice to live beyond their means.

I'm baffled by people's ability to tolerate debt!

off podium

I wouldnt go so far as to say most cant responsibly afford one, thats going a bit far. Everything depreciates. Even houses at this time. No matter what you buy, its part of the greater fool theory, finding a greater fool than you to pay more for it than you did. Also known as capitalism lol.

The current financial meltdown, in my opinion is from greedy rich bankers and what not who ok'ed loans to folks who shouldnt have even been considered for it in the first place. Yes, I agree everyone should have a roof, but not everyone can afford a 200k house. some folks need to rent, some folks need to own that 100k house. or that 70 k house. or that 50k house. The key is living within your means.. which americans havent done for a long time. We all want more, who can blame us, but at the same time, knowing when we can have more is the key. So yes, we agree on that aspect.

150k is the highest part of my poll, as its a crap load of money down here where i live per year. Hell doctors i work for and with dont even bring home that much a year working for the state.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 PM

I make just over 50k and have no kids or wife just a gf. I think most people can afford it but the question is it worth it? Like me I can afford 2SS but I will love to have more money to save just to have some free money. Base price is excellent on both models but when you starting adding options, insurance, tax, and interest You will be paying $700 + a month total. I think GM is marketing and targeting this more for white collar type income than blue collar type income, a little different then how they did on the 4th gen. Hopefully in March we will have a better take on how this economy is going. That’s why I will not committing by placing an order until I know what is the most bang for your buck, and how my finances are.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM

150K should be consider a high income since only roughly 5% of the population makes more.

The current financial meltdown happened because of greedy bankers, politicians who think everyone should have home even though they can't afford them, and the people who can't afford them and have no clue how to manage money.

Remember you can't take your money with you, so as long as you can responsibly afford one without going into major debt, I say buy it. I have known to many people that have passed away before they reached retirement. You still need to save for it, but I wouldn't put every last penny away. Have fun while you can.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:08 PM

I can easily afford a new Camaro if I wanted to.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM

im a bit surprised that folks do not think it odd that the majority of folks who can purchase this car are making 75k ish per household??

I thought this was supposed to be an every man's car.. but yet, most of the people i know, dont have that type of buying power, and before you say it, its not like they are uneducated folks either.

I've also read a good bit about comparing the car to the 4th gen is good or absurd or whatever, and I'd just like to remind people that in 02, the end of the 4th gen sales, the cars were OVERPRICED. and thus one reason why they didnt sell as well as they could / should have. Yes there were other factors as well, but the price did come in to a big part of play for many people.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
It's not mentioned in that article, but in the full letter to dealers GMAC also specified that they will no longer finance more than invoice:

In the short term, we will limit auto contracts to those consumers who have a minimum 700 credit bureau score, with an advance rate equal to or less than dealer invoice. This means that consumers will be required to make a down payment.

That means no 0 down and no negative equity trades.
Or negotiate an invoice price with the dealer. I'm betting (by waiting to order) that this will be possible by the end of next year.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Here in the bay area its pretty expensive with rent at 1400 for a 1br apt, the only way me an my newly married wife are able to afford this is by planning,

we make about 100k combined but have about 10k saved so far. We have planned since i met her and since we got engaged 2 years ago that this car was a must so its all about the piggy bank that is going to allow to get this car. and it helps that we are credit union member and can get a 5.5-6.5 apr from 5-7 years, but definately not if I didnt know it was coming 2 years ago.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM

fwiw, my wife and I combined make over $200k year and even I am struggling to figure out how I can afford it.

But then I also live in the bay area and own my own home.

Fortunately my wife is willing to give up a trip to Hawaii in February I promised her for our wedding anniversary so it will make buying a Camaro SS easier for us financially. Is she a keeper or what!?!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
fwiw, my wife and I combined make over $200k year and even I am struggling to figure out how I can afford it.

But then I also live in the bay area and own my own home.

Fortunately my wife is willing to give up a trip to Hawaii in February I promised her for our wedding anniversary so it will make buying a Camaro SS easier for us financially. Is she a keeper or what!?!
My wife would kick my ***. After a certain point, it isn't how much you make, it's how you allot your money.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Primus
My wife would kick my ***. After a certain point, it isn't how much you make, it's how you allot your money.
Of course there are conditions. I have to agree to sell two of my current Camaros; relandscape the front yard; and replace the kitchen floor. (Then again we did just go on a Hawaiian cruise last February. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro Price vs Household Income Poll