2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro: my thoughts

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
And as an FYI...I never did get used to the blind spots in the my 99 T/A. Perhaps I just suck at driving?
Well, I have no blind spots in my 99 Z28. Different rear spoiler design v. your T/A, but, maybe you've hit the nail on the head j/k, if anything you probably just suck at adjusting your mirrors.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
That's not the issue, guys. The issue is, the thickness of the wheel - the actual part that you grip your hands around - is not "round". Think of gripping any normal steering wheel, or a set of handle bars - they're round. Now, picture gripping your hands around something that is shaped like an egg (oval). Then put it on an angle, like a ~45° - it's hard to explain, but when you sit in one and grab the wheel, you'll understand. It's almost as if it's too thick to get a good grip on (..... I know, I can hear the off-color jokes pouring in already .....) but it's also the SHAPE that is really odd. Maybe just me, but Andrew commented on it as well. Again, I personally prefer the feel of the steering wheel in a 4th-gen.
Well that's cool cuz the steering well in my 1LE isn't round either ... it measures 1" wide and 1 1/2" deep ... and I absolutely love it.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
thats not terrible advice.
It's terrible advice for the person you were speaking to, because he has not already ordered a new Camaro. Your suggestion for him was to go buy the car, and then decide if he likes it once he's spent some time behind the wheel.

I agree that if someone has already ordered, they should wait until they get their car before freaking out about other people's complaints... but at this point, if you don't have one yet, there's little to no justification to order before you've taken one for a test drive.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
...- if anything you probably just suck at adjusting your mirrors.
Ya.....lack of experience!

Oh BTW....I'm one of those folks who likes to look over my shoulder in addition to using the mal-adjusted mirrors....
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Well that's cool cuz the steering well in my 1LE isn't round either ... it measures 1" wide and 1 1/2" deep ... and I absolutely love it.
You must be one of those lucky guys with big hands then, eh? I've just got short, stubby hands .

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Oh BTW....I'm one of those folks who likes to look over my shoulder in addition to using the mal-adjusted mirrors....
SUCH a waste of energy, clearly! Sounds like you and I have some things to learn behind the wheel of a car .
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by blkz2832
How does the headroom compare to a 4th gen? I am 6'5" and I had no problems in a 99 I test drove a while back.
I sat in one with a sun roof at the Chicago Auto Show. My hair was touching the roof. I'm 6'-2", it was annoying. I put it out on this board for debate. Everyone thought I should try one without a sunroof. I couldn't get a dealer around here to answer any questions. I went back to the auto show looking to get into one without a sunroof. They were no help. I just bought a 2002 with plenty of headroom and love it. I'll take my chances and wait until the 2011 convertible comes out. Until then I'm very happy with the 4th gen.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM

What car doesn't have a blind spot?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Well, I would hope no one would not buy this car or any car just because they don't like the blind spot. I doubt anyone would do this. That is something that is easily overcome
in my opinion. It just takes a little getting used to doing something different. Getting advice or info on a major purchase before hand just seems like a no brainer to me. Take the info and do your own analysis. Oh and if you preorder, you do not have to buy the car, you probably will lose your deposit if you put one down, but you do not have to buy it.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chgojohn
I sat in one with a sun roof at the Chicago Auto Show. My hair was touching the roof. I'm 6'-2", it was annoying. I put it out on this board for debate. Everyone thought I should try one without a sunroof. I couldn't get a dealer around here to answer any questions. I went back to the auto show looking to get into one without a sunroof. They were no help. I just bought a 2002 with plenty of headroom and love it. I'll take my chances and wait until the 2011 convertible comes out. Until then I'm very happy with the 4th gen.
That's discouraging. I continually compare the concept to the production version... didn't the production version receive the higher roof turret? If so, I can't imagine how much worse the concept version would be.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by blkz2832:
"How does the headroom compare to a 4th gen? I am 6'5" and I had no problems in a 99 I test drove a while back."

Originally Posted by Chgojohn
From a post over at Camaro5:

"6' 8" tall - Sat in an SS, 6spd, w/o sunroof at the Minneapolis Auto Show and had about a half inch of clearance while sitting straight up. Leg room was not an issue and right knee did not get in the way of shifting (telescoping steering wheel provides a good range of adjustment). Thought some of the taller folks would find this helpful.

With the seat all the way back, there is absolutely no rear seat to speak of: I know us long-time fans will appreciate this since it is how it the was and still should be.

Also sat in a CTS-V. No issues. Drooled over, but did not sit in, a ZR1.

Took some pics. Will post if reqested."

I've seen posts from several 6 ft. plus people that had no issues and the seat is supposed to be extremely adjustable.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 03-23-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add text
Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

There's quite a few posts here on this site about people being tall and finding comfort in the car. Even the co-owner of this site Chris Frezza has mentioned it a few times and he is over 6' tall. We talked about it in our Podcasts a lot.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:24 PM

At only 5'10", I don't feel like I'm anywhere NEAR the roof . To be honest, the first time I sat in the car, the seat wasn't at its lowest setting. I lowered it to the bottom, and at first had the feeling that I wanted a phone book to sit on! (although again, like with my '02, I prefer the lowest seating position possible, and quickly adjusted ). The seat has LOTS of height capability for short people though. I raised it up and could push my head through the roof!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
What they're saying is, if you're hearing of issues of concern (blind spots or whatever..), and you're planning on forking over $20K for a car. It would be WISE to test drive it before pre-ordering it.
I doubt the aftermarket can remedy that...
Even if I had the cash to pre-order one right now, I would still test drive one first, b/c it's an all NEW model, and that's a LOT of money.
well , there 16,000 people who have not test drove this car and placed an order. so what im saying is if you ordered the car, you gotta get used to it because its your once its in. if you havent placed an order , then yeah , drivie it and see if you can get used to it. i plannedo n buying this car no matter what it looked like, when i first heard of there being a concept. not even knowing there was going to be a production model.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It's terrible advice for the person you were speaking to, because he has not already ordered a new Camaro. Your suggestion for him was to go buy the car, and then decide if he likes it once he's spent some time behind the wheel.

I agree that if someone has already ordered, they should wait until they get their car before freaking out about other people's complaints... but at this point, if you don't have one yet, there's little to no justification to order before you've taken one for a test drive.
ok. sorry. i didnt know he had not ordered. he was speaking like he had one on order. i guess my words are assuming everyone in the 5th gen section of this site, has pre ordered a car(or majority)
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
ok. sorry. i didnt know he had not ordered. he was speaking like he had one on order. i guess my words are assuming everyone in the 5th gen section of this site, has pre ordered a car(or majority)
I would guess that there are roughly 100 people on this board who have ordered a 5th gen. Not all of them are frequent posters.

You should assume that the vast majority of people can't afford a new car, no matter how much they talk about wanting one in an enthusiast forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro: my thoughts