2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro: my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 PM

blah blah blah - how hard does it look like a header install will be??? come on.... I know that's what everyone really wants to know!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
the only other thing beside the atrocity that is the dash is the steering wheel. its not round
Steering wheel is not round? GM is very strict when it comes to the circumfrence of there circles on any part piston, rims, and wheels. I'm absolutly positve that wheel is a near perfect circle.

Either your not used to the size of the wheel, or your hands don't have a feel for the wheel. But I'm absolutly postive that that steering wheel is round.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM

thing is tho when i went to drive my old 97 it fit perfect first time and after all the years i had it i was still in love with it. i don't get the same feeling with this car.
Ok, I have not driven the new Camaro, but oh my god the quality on this car has got to be better than the 4th gen. Seriously, they had so many problems, rattles, you name it. I lost count the number of window motors I went through between my 97Z and my wifes 02 Trans AM WS6. Don't get me wrong I love the 4th gens, but the quality left A LOT to be desired.
I hope to god they got that right.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
Steering wheel is not round? GM is very strict when it comes to the circumfrence of there circles on any part piston, rims, and wheels. I'm absolutly positve that wheel is a near perfect circle.

Either your not used to the size of the wheel, or your hands don't have a feel for the wheel. But I'm absolutly postive that that steering wheel is round.
Perhaps it appears that it isn't round because where the steering wheel connects to the steering column is not perfectly centered in relationship to the steering wheel itself? Does that make sense? In other words, the actual ring is a perfect circle, but because of how the ring is mounted on the steering wheel column, it doesn't turn in a perfect circle. Therefore it appears that it's not a "round" steering wheel?

I'm just speculating here. I don't know that for certain. I know that's confusing, I just couldn't come up with a way to explain it properly.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 PM

Oh man, when do I get mine!!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Sounds like the backseat of a G35
Actually, I was in one last summer, and yes, about the same amount (lack) of head room .
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by GMRL
Question, what happen to the oil cap?

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Also does the car not get shipped with the engine cover? Personally I like it better w/o the engine cover although the LS3 does have more plumbing running over it than the LS1's did.
Originally Posted by cmg06s
blah blah blah - how hard does it look like a header install will be??? come on.... I know that's what everyone really wants to know!
Of course they are shipped with the cover! The oil cap has to come off to remove it, and it literally pops off in ~2 seconds. We had it removed just to have a peek, and left it off for the picture.

As far as a header swap? WAY f'n easier than on a 4th-gen! Heck, I wanted to do a plug swap just to say I did it and brag about how quick & easy it was! Seriously, the access is SO much better than on the 4th-gens .

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Since you both have driven the car can you tell me how far up and more importantly down the steering wheel tilts? The 4th Gen wheel would tilt down to sit right in my lap for a nice perpendicular position. Will this one?
Yes, I would say so. I didn't have it all the way down, but I know what you mean about the tilt on the 4th-gens, and I've driven the same way. IMO, you'll be able to achieve the same thing. The only issue is that the column is physically more bulky, so you may have a problem with your knees hitting the bottom with it being down too low .
Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS

Originally Posted by monstertodd
Perhaps it appears that it isn't round because where the steering wheel connects to the steering column is not perfectly centered in relationship to the steering wheel itself?
I'm just speculating here. I don't know that for certain. I know that's confusing, I just couldn't come up with a way to explain it properly.
That's not the issue, guys. The issue is, the thickness of the wheel - the actual part that you grip your hands around - is not "round". Think of gripping any normal steering wheel, or a set of handle bars - they're round. Now, picture gripping your hands around something that is shaped like an egg (oval). Then put it on an angle, like a ~45° - it's hard to explain, but when you sit in one and grab the wheel, you'll understand. It's almost as if it's too thick to get a good grip on (..... I know, I can hear the off-color jokes pouring in already .....) but it's also the SHAPE that is really odd. Maybe just me, but Andrew commented on it as well. Again, I personally prefer the feel of the steering wheel in a 4th-gen.

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Ok, I have not driven the new Camaro, but oh my god the quality on this car has got to be better than the 4th gen. Seriously, they had so many problems, rattles, you name it. I lost count the number of window motors I went through between my 97Z and my wifes 02 Trans AM WS6. Don't get me wrong I love the 4th gens, but the quality left A LOT to be desired.
I hope to god they got that right.
I believe they did. The car is nice and quiet driving down the road. It feels tight. The windows have that nice "indexing" feature that lowers them 1/4" when you open the doors, and puts them back up once they're closed. I just learned today that they have express down AND express up! But like you said, hopefully they've improved the quality of the motors?

However, from what I can see / hear / feel ... the car is a well built, good quality car . THAT I can say for certain . We can bicker all day long about the trivial crap, but most of that comes down to personal preference. It's still a really good all-around car.

Last edited by Capn Pete; 03-21-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 AM

thing is tho when i went to drive my old 97 it fit perfect first time and after all the years i had it i was still in love with it. i don't get the same feeling with this car.
You mean this one? Should have kept it.
Name:  NewImage.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  135.4 KB

To stay on topic...I just can't get into the interior, and I don't like the look of the radio. Petty, I know, but that's just me. The outside of that car is just hot. (So was the driver.) And I think I see what you mean about the steering wheel. But I'm still waiting to see it for myself.

Last edited by Cat Girl; 03-22-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Girl
You mean this one? Should have kept it.

To stay on topic...I just can't get into the interior, and I don't like the look of the radio. Petty, I know, but that's just me. The outside of that car is just hot. (So was the driver.) And I think I see what you mean about the steering wheel. But I'm still waiting to see it for myself.
ill get you that ride in the 2010 i promised you last time we talked!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM

well this was a "sold" car and was forbidden to run it hard but i did do a nice roll in and it it very quick. and smooth and very comfortable in its ride. it seemed to change directions quickly as well but again i couldn't push it.
This is not right !! How is it that you can drive someone elses car?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
I want to know the same thing. If I had waited 6 + years for my dream car and then have it arrive at the dealer with scuffed sill plates wore tires and 50 miles on the odometer I would be PISSED.

I have purchased 5 new cars and truck that I ordered and not one of them had over 4 miles on them when I took delivery and that would have included the dealer running it to the gas station.

Sorry but I want to brake my cars engine,trans,rearend and brakes the correct way, or at least my way.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM

well this was a "sold" car
Originally Posted by CamaroRick
Originally Posted by 81Z28355
I want to know the same thing. If I had waited 6 + years for my dream car and then have it arrive at the dealer with scuffed sill plates wore tires and 50 miles on the odometer I would be PISSED.
Ok, just to clear this up guys, I think there was a misunderstanding. It was not a customer's car . It was one of the MANY "captive fleet" cars that are still sitting around and available. The point that was made to us was TREAT IT like it was a "sold car", as it is NOT ours, and the person letting us drive it still wants to keep his job come Monday morning .

Now, just to answer the other part of your question, but I asked him about this ... he DOES drive "sold" customer cars on a daily basis (I'm not even talking about Camaros specifically, but the Impalas and Silverados as well). As part of his job, he has to. It's all part of the quality assurance, to make sure that a car every so often is driven, tested, inspected, to make sure that the line is building them right, and to catch any errors. He said that there is a very low mileage limit though ... basically, it's enough for him to get to his house and back the next day.

But again, the Camaro that we drove was NOT somebody's car! For all the reasons mentioned, and I agree, there's no way we would have even been allowed. You're right, that wouldn't seem right. I'd be pissed too .

Last edited by Capn Pete; 03-22-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
That's not the issue, guys. The issue is, the thickness of the wheel - the actual part that you grip your hands around - is not "round". Think of gripping any normal steering wheel, or a set of handle bars - they're round. Now, picture gripping your hands around something that is shaped like an egg (oval). Then put it on an angle, like a ~45° - it's hard to explain, but when you sit in one and grab the wheel, you'll understand. It's almost as if it's too thick to get a good grip on (..... I know, I can hear the off-color jokes pouring in already .....) but it's also the SHAPE that is really odd. Maybe just me, but Andrew commented on it as well. Again, I personally prefer the feel of the steering wheel in a 4th-gen.
The G8 GXP is the same way. I like the G8 GT wheel MUCH better.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 AM

the engine cover is ugly and the engine looks much better when you are able to see it! The addition of fuel rail covers and it would look that much better.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro: my thoughts