2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro: my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:23 PM

2010 Camaro: my thoughts

well today i had the pleasure of taking a 5th gen for a short drive today. i drove a 2SS/RS in silver. i did like it overall but like many of the reviews it is highly compromised for its styling. the view outside is pretty bad. i had a passenger on my drive (capn pete) and the view outside the passenger window was half blocked with his head. this car will take awhile to get used to. the driving position is almost perfect for me but i'm sure everybody else can fid a perfect position. the ride was extremely good and it is fairly quiet and the LS3 makes a great noise under acceleration. the shifter while the shape is awful it has a nice quick throw and is in a perfect position. the only other thing beside the atrocity that is the dash is the steering wheel. its not round! now you may think i'm nit picking and maybe i am bit the shape of it just feel odd and is not comfortable. to me thats a big thing as i'll be holding ever second i drive it. some have mentioned the sun visor is small and it is but with the slit that is the windshield i find its acceptable. the headroom isn't the greatest either but i didn't find it annoying. the car i drove had the boston acoustic stereo and imo is worth every penny to get. it is simply awesome. i put it on the metallica station on xm and played with it to my liking and to me i would never feel the need to upgrade it. its very clear and loud. the trunk "opening" is way too small. overall i give it a 7/10 as there are too many compromises that imo should not have happened.

i know i'm probably missing things so feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer them.

i have a youtube video as well and i'll post it as soon as its uploaded.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:29 PM

Great so far the car is underpowered, doesn't handle, you can't see out of it, the dash is bad, and the steering wheel isn't round. Does anyone like the car?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Great so far the car is underpowered, doesn't handle, you can't see out of it, the dash is bad, and the steering wheel isn't round. Does anyone like the car?
well this was a "sold" car and was forbidden to run it hard but i did do a nice roll in and it it very quick. and smooth and very comfortable in its ride. it seemed to change directions quickly as well but again i couldn't push it.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Underpowered, doesn't handle. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Yes, I think you are nit picking. Much of what your not happy with is just a matter of getting used to it. My GTO and 97Z were not exactly easy to see out of according to some. For me I never had a problem. I have not seen the dash in person, but it looks
sharp to me and the 4 gauge pod is simply SWEET!! I am one that can adapt very well to things and when a car looks this HOT, even if there were some minor problems, well,
I could care less. This car is HOT!! It's as simple as that. What's the saying, feeling good is all about looking good. I would say the Camaro is feeling awesome!!!

Edit: Oh, I will be ripping that god awful looking intake system out.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Underpowered, doesn't handle. This is ridiculous.
Correction:

It's not under-powered, it's over-weight .

And as far as the handling, I DO think that it CAN handle . Unfortunately, neither of us got to play with that. There are no curvy roads nearby to really try it. Mind you, Mosport International Raceway is only ~20 minutes away, but A) it's not yet open for the season, and B) we'd be shot dead if we took that car up there!!

I would LOVE to take one of these on the track. I'm very eager to see how it will perform. It may not be quite as "nimble" as my already heavy '02, but I do think the car has potential. The steering feel may be a little light, but it has a good feel IMO, and like I mentioned in my review a couple weeks ago, the brakes feel good and powerful.

I also think that the power issue could be partially related to low mileage / still not broken in yet. Heck, even my 12-second car only ran a 14.1 on its first outing to the track with only ~600 miles on the clock ... that changed after a couple thousand miles. I think the same could hold true for the new Camaro. Give it time, and I'm sure we'll see some mid-12's out of it, and really see those ~426 ponies come to life .

My remaining "criticisms" of the car (after having spent a little more time "examining" it) are:

- good trunk for groceries, bad trunk for "stuff" (and for those of you asking for "proof"? ..... please spare me ..... I'm not blind, I know what I see). I also folded the rear seat down, and the opening between the rear seat and the trunk is not as large as it could have been ... the sheet metal impedes some of the opening ... again, you won't fit very big "stuff" in there .

- tighter back seat than a 4th-gen. I'm only 5'10", and my head is firmly touching the roof while sitting "comfortably" in the back. I'd have to slouch not to touch. I've sat in the back of my 4th-gen more than once, and have at least ~an inch or two above my head.

- the shape of the steering wheel is awkward. Getting a firm grip around it just feels ... weird .

- that darned blind-spot on the driver's side. It's not going away 'til the convertible comes out!

OVERALL:

It rides BEAUTIFULLY for a sports car, while still maintaining a controlled/firm ride. I ran across a couple rough sections of road, and it took the bumps like a Cadillac compared to my Sam Strano suspensioned '02!

I see the 5th-gen being a better, more comfortable daily commuter than a 4th-gen. I also see it being better as a "grocery-getter" (literally) since you won't have to stack grocery bag upon grocery bag like you would with a 4th-gen. The stereo is amazing. It honestly blows away my aftermarket deck and sub/amp in my '02! And obviously the styling of the car (perhaps subjective) is great. The halo's are a nice addition too.

So would I buy one? Yes . I just don't have the money for one yet.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:51 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
i know i'm probably missing things so feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer them.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=674969

Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 PM

sorry but i didn't try that.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Yes, I think you are nit picking. Much of what your not happy with is just a matter of getting used to it. My GTO and 97Z were not exactly easy to see out of according to some. For me I never had a problem. I have not seen the dash in person, but it looks
sharp to me and the 4 gauge pod is simply SWEET!! I am one that can adapt very well to things and when a car looks this HOT, even if there were some minor problems, well,
I could care less. This car is HOT!! It's as simple as that. What's the saying, feeling good is all about looking good. I would say the Camaro is feeling awesome!!!

Edit: Oh, I will be ripping that god awful looking intake system out.
thing is tho when i went to drive my old 97 it fit perfect first time and after all the years i had it i was still in love with it. i don't get the same feeling with this car.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:41 PM

video of my drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2EpyqGUPMk
Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete

- tighter back seat than a 4th-gen. I'm only 5'10", and my head is firmly touching the roof while sitting "comfortably" in the back. I'd have to slouch not to touch. I've sat in the back of my 4th-gen more than once, and have at least ~an inch or two above my head.

Sounds like the backseat of a G35
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Question, what happen to the oil cap?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Since you both have driven the car can you tell me how far up and more importantly down the steering wheel tilts? The 4th Gen wheel would tilt down to sit right in my lap for a nice perpendicular position. Will this one?

Also does the car not get shipped with the engine cover? Personally I like it better w/o the engine cover although the LS3 does have more plumbing running over it than the LS1's did.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM

Jesus ****in christ it's a Camaro, not a BMW 5 series.

Jeez.

Last edited by monstertodd; 03-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Yes, plenty. Look at some other reviews.

http://www.chevrolet.com/allnewcamaro/#camaro=reviews

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro: my thoughts