2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

1 camaro sale postponed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 PM

1 camaro sale postponed

Well i think I'm going to get a Sport Cobalt in 2008 and the camaro will be postponed. They are a few reasons its going to be postponed because i need something for gas and a little sporty and frankly I'm tired of waiting on the camaro.

Few reasons is when it finally comes out it could look completely opposite of the concept, The prices may be to high.

If i like the camaro i might save up and buy one in 3 or 4 years. By that time the aftermarket should be good and the price gouging will be down and the bugs will be worked out. If its like the 3rd and 4th gens. then i will not worry about 15 years down the road i can buy one that looks almost identical as the 2009.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Only time will tell, I dout the real version varies much from the concept, but will see! As for waiting, you are correct.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SSRich
frankly I'm tired of waiting on the camaro.
Tired of waiting, eh? All I can say is you're setting the bar *WAY* too high in terms of product development - of any product, not just a car.

Few reasons is when it finally comes out it could look completely opposite of the concept, The prices may be to high.
It's been said repeatedly that the production Camaro is virtually indistinguishable from the concept. Bob Lutz (or maybe Ed Peper) said the way he tells them apart is by looking at the door handles. As for prices......there's been nothing said about prices, so how do you know how high they'll be?

By that time the aftermarket should be good and the price gouging will be down and the bugs will be worked out.
You're right about the gouging and the aftermarket. I would doubt the "bugs" issue though - GM is taking time with this car for a reason, no one wants "bugs" at launch (or ever for that matter).

If its like the 3rd and 4th gens. then i will not worry about 15 years down the road i can buy one that looks almost identical as the 2009.
Yeah - that's a valid comparison...... No car can survive in the market today with that long a life without a refresh. Any car that tried it has been canceled and even the 4th gens proved that going SO long on one style doesn't sell. With how well the concept went over, I don't think we're in danger of a 15 year product cycle - this car is too visible for that.

Ultimately it's your choice what you drive and buy and I REALLY hope you enjoy the Cobalt - I hear they're great cars. I myself am considering a Vibe awd for winter driving and if my work commute gets longer - but it's hard to step away from driving my Trans Am every day.

But what bothers me in your post is that at this early stage I don't really think you're being fair to the Camaro and to the effort it takes to build a car these days - especially since we don't even know what the finished car will be. If Camaro is a 5-star crash rated (all around), 30mpg highway, 505 hp, awesome handling car - it will be VERY worth the wait. And while the Camaro will improve over its life, driving a car for utility for years while waiting is a kind of hell for an enthusiast. At least you're looking at a Cobalt Sport - I'm sure that won't sting quite as bad!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

I wish I could buy one right when they came out, but fortunately/unfortunately, I'll probably be buying a house at that time so I won't be able to float a car and a house payment. You can bet when I get financially set to do so, there will be a 5th gen in my driveway.

The wait until production doesn't bother me. The thought of first year bugs doesn't bother me. The thought of it looking different from the concept to the point of it not even being resemblant is laughable at the very least. Like I said, the only thing that will have me not buying one first year is the fact that I'll be into a house at that time. I just see the house as a better way to spend the money. Sorry GM, I really really really wish I could buy one though.

Last edited by shock6906; 06-11-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:55 AM

Im thinking about re-enlisting in the Army just so I can buy the new Camaro. Tell me THATS not dedication!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Tired of waiting, eh? All I can say is you're setting the bar *WAY* too high in terms of product development - of any product, not just a car.
Depends on the context. If the time period is between concept being unvieled and production car hitting the streets (~3 years), then perhaps you have a point. However, if he is counting his "wait" from 2002 to 2009, well, I think he a pretty good point.

As for new car introductions...I don't care who makes it, a brand-new model is at greater risk for problems than one that has been around a year or two. Hopefully there won't be any significant problems, but I can understand some folks not wanting to part with their $25k-$35k without a bit more assurance. Others will, of course, as that is an individual decision.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 AM

I know how long it takes to put a car in production i can understand that. But they should have waited and annouced it this year a 3 year period is along time to wait. Frankly im tired of everybody saying isnt the new mustang pretty or powerfull and im tired of saying wait until the camaro or look at the camaro.

Some people is like Camaro they dont even exist anymore.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM

You gotta do what you gotta do man. Good luck with the Cobalt. If I was in the market for a winter econocar, it'd probably be the one.

On a side note, would things be that much different if they waited until NAIAS 2008 to unveil the Camaro concept? We'd be sitting here right now complaining that Chevy hasn't even given us anything with regards to Camaro, and who knows, a lot more people may have already bought Mustangs instead of waiting. So it works both ways.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Heres some advice from someone who has already did THE EXACT SAME THING. I to got tired of waiting after about a year, and so i bought an 06 Cobalt SS Supercharged.

I love the car and the economy, especially for how much i paid, but i will admit that i probably should have just gotten a used GTO and heres why.

1) Problems. With the stage 2 kit plus other GMPP bolt ons, the car is beginning to have a lot of trouble. Trying to make V8 power with a little 2.0 liter is obviously taking its toll. I have every mod in the GMPP catalog and i just recently got beat by a stock cobalt ss/sc. So something is obviously wrong.

2) Sound. While i will admit that blower whine is addictive, it doesn't quite have the "goosebump affect" that my old 3rd gen with a 305 did. Cobalts are among the best sounding 4 cylinders on the market, but thats like trying to be the worlds tallest midget.........

3) Timing. The new camaro SHOULD be available in 4th quarter 08 IMO. So if you buy an 08 balt, your looking at only 12 months before the camaro is obtainable. Is 12 months really that long of a wait??

Don't get me wrong, the cobalts are beastly performers for there price, but even my deep affection for my cobalt cant overide the MONTHS of having my car in the shop.

I say just wait for the Cobalt SS Turbocharged. How about 260hp in a 2900 lb car? Even Scott said these things are going to be awesome.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Im not really wanting a cobalt for high performance im wanting it to save on gas and a little performance (Im not going to get the Supercharged). Im wanting a hopefully a RS/SS camaro with a possible LS3 and i would hate to wait and the MSRP start out at like 36k or something because im not going to pay that much for it unless it is fully loaded and maybe not even that high.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:40 PM

how about this for getting tired of waiting...I bought a mustang

of coarse it's just a $4000 beater that will be sold as soon as I can order a camaro...but still it's a mustang

I just got tired of looking at my empty garage.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM

I understand you cant wait. Just traded in my 95 Camaro myself. Graduated from college in May and needed to get a new car for the long commute I have. Had over 180,000 miles on it and just wasn't reliable anymore. Was definitely a good car, got me through high school and college like I wanted. I was considering a Cobalt as well, but you should also look at the Honda Civic Si, just a better car all around. Bought it a month ago and glad I those it over the Cobalt. By the way, I will be buying a 5th gen by 2012 the latest.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM

I guess I'm just a freak......I'm driving a '99 TA WS6 - have used it as a year-round daily driver since the day I bought it new - it's got 160k+ miles and it's 7-1/2 years old - and I'm waiting to replace it with a new Camaro. Yeah, I've thought about econoboxes - with a 35 mile commute to work every day it's hard not to. I've even driven 51 miles to work every day - and although seeing the miles add up on my car was hard, they were FUN miles!

In a sense I suppose I've been waiting for the new Camaro (well, Trans Am) since '99. And even today, I'm still dreading the day I get rid of my car. But waiting until 2008 seems fine to me for a few reasons: I know the car will rock, I know GM wants to get it right, and if it's 1/2 the car mine is it will be legendary. Those things are worth it to me - and there's not one other new car on the market that can fill that void. If I needed a daily driver now, sure I'd get something cheap (probably a Vibe) - but it'd be entirely based on need, not simply because I'm sick of waiting. Some things are worth waiting for after all.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM

I can understand your frustration in the wait. The Cobalt is a nice car, it won't have the performance that the Camaro will, but nonetheless, its still a good car.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ShawsDQ
I understand you cant wait. Just traded in my 95 Camaro myself. Graduated from college in May and needed to get a new car for the long commute I have. Had over 180,000 miles on it and just wasn't reliable anymore. Was definitely a good car, got me through high school and college like I wanted. I was considering a Cobalt as well, but you should also look at the Honda Civic Si, just a better car all around. Bought it a month ago and glad I those it over the Cobalt. By the way, I will be buying a 5th gen by 2012 the latest.
If your refering to the Civic Si being comparable to a Cobalt SS/SC in regards to performance, then that is simply not true. It would be more of a fair match for just the Cobalt SS/NA.

But if you are refering to quality interior and dare-i-say-it even reliability, then your probably right.

Its not that the LSJ is bad powertrain, its the fact that most mechanics just have no idea how to work on a supercharged/intercooled engine. Most of my problems have been mechanic related.

Quick Reply: 1 camaro sale postponed