2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

'09 Camaro..Will the value of my '99 go down?

Old 07-04-2007, 04:58 PM

Question '09 Camaro..Will the value of my '99 go down?

I was wondering what the '09 will do to the value of my '99 Z28? The value of mine right now is around $10,000, does anyone have any info on what the new Camaro will do to the rest of our Camaro's.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM

I think they will drop, there are a lot of people (like me) that are holding onto their 4th gen until they can upgrade.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Of course they will drop. The one's which are used on a regular basis will just have more miles on them and be more beat on. The mint one's will also drop because guys would rather get into a 5th gen. No different than what happened to the 81 Z/28 when the IROC came out. It will not happen until the tire fryer models come out. Having said that, it will be a terrific buying opportunity for anyone looking at getting into the 4th gen market. I don't care how good the 5th gen will be, I will never be selling my 2 4th gens (97 & 01).
Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 AM

Used cars always go down in value
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

THUD

"What was that?"

4th gen resale values.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Wait 20 yrs and they'll come back up in value.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by ChrisL
THUD

"What was that?"

4th gen resale values.

Funny but true. If all you care about is resale, unload now.

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
Wait 20 yrs and they'll come back up in value.

They always do. History will be extremely kind to these 4th gens because most people have no idea how good of a performance car they are.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by GuerawithaZ28
I was wondering what the '09 will do to the value of my '99 Z28? The value of mine right now is around $10,000, does anyone have any info on what the new Camaro will do to the rest of our Camaro's.
Thanks in advance!
You do realize you are asking what will happen to the value of your Camaro between now and 2009 (2 years from now), right??

Also, $10,000 for a '99 Camaro Z28 is a little on the high side (most '99s out here in California fall into the $7-9K range in the Autotrader.... a far more accurate barometer of a car's actual value than so-called "bluebook prices"). Not slamming your ride, but a car is always worth more to it's owner than it tends to be worth on the real market. But that's not the bad news.

The value of your car certainly isn't going to go up over the next 2 years....

..... and in 1999, the direction in value of a 10 year old car isn't likely to be any different than the direction of value of a 10 year old car is today.

Look at the value of a 1997 4th gen Camaro today, adjust for inflation, and you'll have a good idea of the value for a similar condition 1999 4th gen Camaro in 2009.

Also, consider the number of Camaros that are going to end up on used car lots and the Autotrader as owners move into the new Camaros.

In short (and it probally isn't what you want to hear), if you're expecting your 1999 Camaro to appriciate simply because Camaro's coming back in 2009....... it ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
You do realize you are asking what will happen to the value of your Camaro between now and 2009 (2 years from now), right??

Also, $10,000 for a '99 Camaro Z28 is a little on the high side (most '99s out here in California fall into the $7-9K range in the Autotrader.... a far more accurate barometer of a car's actual value than so-called "bluebook prices"). Not slamming your ride, but a car is always worth more to it's owner than it tends to be worth on the real market. But that's not the bad news.

The value of your car certainly isn't going to go up over the next 2 years....

..... and in 1999, the direction in value of a 10 year old car isn't likely to be any different than the direction of value of a 10 year old car is today.

Look at the value of a 1997 4th gen Camaro today, adjust for inflation, and you'll have a good idea of the value for a similar condition 1999 4th gen Camaro in 2009.

Also, consider the number of Camaros that are going to end up on used car lots and the Autotrader as owners move into the new Camaros.

In short (and it probally isn't what you want to hear), if you're expecting your 1999 Camaro to appriciate simply because Camaro's coming back in 2009....... it ain't gonna happen.
True. The kbb private party value on my low miles '95 Z/28 is just under $6400. I probably wouldn't sell it for twice that, however that's what its worth. As a trade-in its worth even less (~ $5000). By the time I'm ready to buy my next Camaro (2010?) it'll probably be almost worthless.

However, I guarantee you that my '67 Camaro will be worth more in 2009 than it is today.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM

I have been thorgh this with the Fiero crowd.

Just about all car drop for at least 20 years. If your lucky they will start to go up then. But you are stuck with supply and demand.

The problem you face is not so much the return of the Camaro as if it did not come back something else would have to fill the performance roll. Your problem is there are so many 4th gens that people have taken care of and in good condition that it has well out numbers the demand now and will do the same for a good time now.

I own a Fiero and tell many people buy one if you like the car and not to retire on. So many people parked Fiero's that new low or zero mile cars can still be had and only for $8000-16000 dollars depending on the options and year.

All original 4th gens in the future fully loaded or some rare option will be your best bet to retain value or gain some. The best performers will be SLP or GMMG cars that are well documented.

If you want to make money see Chuck Schwaub if you like cars more than money find one you really like and don't worry about the money.

I keep my Fiero today as I bought it new, it is fun to drive and it is cheap to maintain and repair. I will never sell it for enough to send my kid to collage but that is life. That is why my other money is with Chuck and make more as we speak.

The bottom line is if you like and love your 4th gen keep it if you worried about resale dump it now or keep it for 20 pluse years!

Having the right car to make money on is like hitting the lottery only a few win and many others lose.

Right now I think a good buy to make money may be a all original Turbo TA pace car, GN or Aero Monte SS. they are cheap now and only will go up. So many were hacked up few good 100% orginal remain. And I mean 100% original right down to the tires. Same on any early SLP F body.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just needed some honest opinions. BTW, had a great race against a GT Mustang yesterday....what a great rush my
Z28 gives me!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by GuerawithaZ28
Thanks everyone for your replies. Just needed some honest opinions. BTW, had a great race against a GT Mustang yesterday....what a great rush my
Z28 gives me!

Now that is what is important!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:50 PM

well then will the lt1 f-bodys go down in value as much as the third gens have.

Search this Thread