2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

0-60=4.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb

It's a commonly used term, but it's inaccurate. I object to inaccurate use of language, as it dulls our ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with others. The average American's control of the English language these days is pitiful, and I think it's part of what is dragging this country down.

Hence my requests for you to please get these things right.
Word. Yo?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:04 AM

It's a commonly used term, but it's inaccurate. I object to inaccurate use of language, as it dulls our ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with others. The average American's control of the English language these days is pitiful, and I think it's part of what is dragging this country down.

Hence my requests for you to please get these things right.
how does using the word RIM dull our ability to communicate?????EVERY ONE KNOWS WHAT I AM SAYING!!!this is out of control. so because i use the word RIM its wrong and makes everyone stupid for me using it? you can use the word RIMS to anyone and they know exactly what you are talking about. hey to each his own but thats what i use. you may not like it but thats what it is.

the brits call the HOOD a BONNET. is that wrong? get off my case.

down south they call it SODA i call it POP. which of those terms makes us more stupid for using it???

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 02-19-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 AM

Higher load on an internal combustion engine typically translates to more efficiency, not less. That's why cars with small, low-power engines running at higher RPM tend to get better fuel efficiency.
Hence the "minimal" in my statement. However, I'd also suggest that engines have certain operating ranges in which they are more efficient. Agreed? The question then becomes this: Is the LS1 more efficient accelerating (albiet slowly) from 45 mph in 6th gear or 5th? Or 4th?

I'll stick by my original statement on this one.

I would argue that it might be old habits, or even old wive's tales.
And I have to admit that this is quite possible. I have no data to say otherwise. I suspect you have no data to support the above, either.

If I'm not mistaken, you and ZZ are among our older members, and lugging was a bigger issue in the past, especially in the pre-EFI days.
Ouch! 44's not old!

Oh...all your bases are belong to us!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 AM

My Camaro is tucked safely away in the garage until the snow/ice/salt have been cleared from the roads for the season, but I assure you, I have done this hundreds of times, and it is not lugging the engine.
That wasn't directed to you, but mine is tucked away as well! I am definitely going to go try this and see what I think when it gets warmer.

FYI I drove my 02 daily for just under 3 years so to me, I felt like I was lugging the car at 60mph in 6th gear. In fact, when the car fell to 60mph in 6th and I now needed to accelerate to keep up with traffic, I distinctly remember hitting the gas and thinking, "this doesn't sound/feel good" and shifting to 5th. I would then shift back to 6th when I got over 65mph.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Ouch! 44's not old!
Haha. 25 and 3 months here! But I feel older than Bob probably does!
Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
how does using the word RIM dull our ability to communicate?????EVERY ONE KNOWS WHAT I AM SAYING!!!
True, everyone does. 100 years from now when nobody remembers the difference between a wheel and a rim because so many people helped blur the line, what happens if someone actually wants to refer specifically to the edge of the wheel? They have no word for it, because "rim" means "wheel".

That is admittedly a minor example of the degradation of our language, but it's the one you used, so it's the one I pointed out.

this is out of control. so because i use the word RIM its wrong and makes everyone stupid for me using it?
You're not the only one doing it, and calling wheels "rims" isn't the only example. Take your self importance down a notch, would you?

the brits call the HOOD a BONNET. is that wrong? get off my case.

down south they call it SODA i call it POP. which of those terms makes us more stupid for using it???
Those are examples of dialect and colloquialism, which is different than misuse of a word.

Your defensive reaction indicates that you know I'm right but that you don't want to admit it. It's okay.

I'd also suggest that engines have certain operating ranges in which they are more efficient. Agreed?
Agreed.

The question then becomes this: Is the LS1 more efficient accelerating (albiet slowly) from 45 mph in 6th gear or 5th? Or 4th?
I would guess that 5th and 6th are more efficient than 4th, but that the difference between RPM and efficiency in 5th and 6th make it pretty much moot.

However, I'd be surprised if cruising at 45mph in 5th was as efficient as in 6th.

And I have to admit that this is quite possible. I have no data to say otherwise. I suspect you have no data to support the above, either.
True, I don't have data -- just circumstantial evidence: I've experienced lugging in a number of different cars, and that in general, the newer the car, the lower you can go without lugging.

Ouch! 44's not old!

Yeah, and 28's not old either, but on this forum, even I'm quite a bit older than the average. The onset of male pattern baldness has me feeling older than I am...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 AM

actually the outter part of the rim is called the "lip". and no my anger isnt because you think your right its because your so damn ignorant.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 AM

I'm a firm believer in only being as old as you feel. Any of you young whipper-snappers wanna go do a bit of running with me, come along! My best half was Oct 07...1:31:30.

Rims vs wheels...ya, wheels is more better ( ), but I understood what he meant by "rims". No big deal.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

there was no need whatsoever to go through my post and correct every thing i said or did wrong. its just uncalled for and very ignorant of him. times change and phrases change. dont get mad that your getting older and things arent the same as when they were when you were young.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

there was no need whatsoever to go through my post and correct every thing i said or did wrong. its just uncalled for and very ignorant of him. times change and phrases change. dont get mad that your getting older and things arent the same as when they were when you were young.
I corrected two things you did wrong, which was far from everything.

Even though I disagree, your "times change" argument has some ground to stand on for the rim vs. wheel debate. However, your representation of the gear ratios was clearly wrong.

You keep saying I'm ignorant, but the context of your statements has me thinking you mean "arrogant." Right?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:04 AM

actually the outter part of the rim is called the "lip". and no my anger isnt because you think your right its because your so damn ignorant.

Lighten up Francis. You do realize that you are pissing on a SUPER MODERATOR don't you? Just sayin'.

And It's all called COKE, not soda or pop. (can you tell I'm from the south?)
Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

actually the outter part of the rim is called the "lip"
Note the 4th definition: http://www.google.com/search?q=define:rim

Note the lack of any such definition: http://www.google.com/search?q=define:lip
Old 02-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by christianjax
Lighten up Francis. You do realize that you are pissing on a SUPER MODERATOR don't you? Just sayin'.
As long as he doesn't go much further with the name calling, he's entirely within his rights as a member of this board to continue the argument we're having. I'm certainly not going to lock this thread, delete/edit his posts, or give him infraction points or something, just because I disagree with him. If I were in the habit of doing stuff like that, I don't think Jason would keep me on as a mod.

I realize in hindsight that we've thoroughly hijacked this thread, though, and respectfully request that we take any further discussion to PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 AM

Doesn't it go: Wheel = entire assembly the tire mounts to.
Rim = the outer edge of the wheel.
Lip = the outer edge of the rim.

J/K.

Back to the original topic. What I find funny is that most of the reported times for the cars on page 1 are the absolute best times for these cars (i.e. Evan Smith driving at Englishtown in 30 degree weather.) I firmly believe that the average time you are going to see in the car rags are right where GM has stated (or wherever those cards came from.)
Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
West South Central Moderator

there was no need whatsoever to go through
my post and correct every thing i said or did wrong. its just uncalled for and very ignorant of him. times change and phrases change. dont get mad that your getting older and things arent the same as when they were when you were young.
You keep saying I'm ignorant, but the context of your statements has me thinking you mean "arrogant." Right?
I know, right? His use of the word "ignorant" makes him appear to be ignorant to the definition of the word. Yet his arrogance won't let him realize his mistakes...

Quick Reply: 0-60=4.7