2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0-60=4.7

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:38 PM

I still think it is rather meaningless (perhaps its the drag racer in me)....but....

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
....They have been using GPS systems like the Racelogic VBOX for at least a decade now. Nobody who's anybody uses 5th wheels anymore.
....I guess you can tell I'm a 70's child!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM

You're lumping three different engine configurations together here.

I can't comment on how much an LT1 likes the above.
Doh! I should have said LS1 4th Gen. I always do that

A '98-00 LS1 will get along just fine at 1500 in 6th, but will struggle if you go much below that.

An '01-02 LS1 (different cam, intake manifold, and tune) will run in 6th at 1000 rpm with no problem, and it will accelerate from that speed, up a reasonable hill, without difficulty (slowly, but no lugging). I do it all the time in mine. You have to get down to 700-800 for it to lug.
We must have very different definitions of lugging and/or hills, haha. I drive an 02' and I would never drive it at 1000rpm, ESPECIALLY accelerating up a hill. I would say its limits are pretty similar at around 1500-1600rpm. I never use 6th gear below 65mph in my car, it would hate me if I did (my calcs say that 1500rpm is 68mph in my car, so it sounds about spot on).

1000rpm would put you at 45mph in 6th gear!!!! There is no way you are doing that! Please tell me you are not doing that to your baby....

CD and frontal area are going to play a factor here as well and I am wondering how the 5th Gen compares to the late 4th Gen or the 05-06' GTO which I personally think is the best comparison in terms power to weight (gearing is very different though).
Old 02-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZZtop
1000rpm would put you at 45mph in 6th gear!!!! There is no way you are doing that! Please tell me you are not doing that to your baby....
Yes, I do this all the time. 6th gear, cruise set at 45, and moving along steadily on somewhat hilly roads.

I'm not talking about 10% grades or anything. Probably 3% at the most. Regardless, there's a point on my daily commute where I'm going uphill and the speed limit changes from 45 to 55. I press the RES/ACC button ten times (or sometimes just hold it down), and the car picks up 10mph like it was nothing.

Seriously, 1000rpm is no problem. Modern engines can handle it.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Anyone else drive their relatively stock, stock geared, LS1 F-body at 45mph in 6th gear?

65mph is when I shift to 6th, although I think I will let it drop to 60mph or so due to traffic on the highway. Otherwise, I shift to 5th because it just doesn't feel/sound good.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM
West South Central Moderator

You forgot 2 engine families... The 3.4L and 3.8L V6s But of course neither was offered with a 6 speed, so that's beside the point
Old 02-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Anyone else drive their relatively stock, stock geared, LS1 F-body at 45mph in 6th gear?
Yes. To be honest, I did it all last summer when gas prices were astronomical. LS1 F-bodies will run perfectly fine at 45 in 6th. At least, '01-'02s will. Now, if you need to accelerate quickly, that might be another story.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM

Man, I just can't believe you guys do that. I am going to have to go do it now to see. Perhaps you guys are in 6th on a 45mph speed limit road and not actually going 45mph? I just can't believe you are driving at 1000rpm and accelerating even! You may be able to do it, but trying to accelerate from 1000rpm in 6th gear is lugging the engine in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

I never did with my 99 T/A. I'm sure the motor would do it, but I just can't handle lugging something down like that. I would also suggest that the gas savings are minimal, if anything at all, because while the rpm is less (injectors don't fire as often), the load is much greater (injectors shoot more gas when they do fire).

Personal preference I guess.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 PM

I love 6th gear with the 3.42s, I like cruising on the interstate at 85 MPH at 1800RPM. Ive driven in 6th between 1000-1500 RPM, it cruises just fine, just downshift if you need to accelerate.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 AM

I drive an auto LS1 (99) and where I live is Flat. I leave it in 3 unless I get up and stay up over about45-50, then I'll put it in D. (for city driving, on the highway I keep it in D)
The two reasons are that I have more engine braking when I have to slow down, and more acceleration available if needed. If I did have a stick (my 2010 will be) I doubt I would ever see 5th let alone 6th on my daily driving.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 AM

Wow, lots of points needing clarification in this thread...

In addition to the gearing differences which have dominated this thread, remember that peak power isn't everything! The L99 has variable valve timing, which should broaden its torque curve, giving it an off-peak advantage over the LS3. I haven't seen actual numbers here, but I suspect that this plays a big part.

Fixed. Please get it right.

Fixed again. Please get this right too.

It's meaningful in that testers try over and over and over again, and report the absolute best result they were able to attain. That eliminates most of the variables. Then they normalize the results for standard weather conditions, which eliminates most of what's left.

The real value in 0-60 times is that it's something the average car owner can try to reproduce, on the street, without getting in trouble.

They have been using GPS systems like the Racelogic VBOX for at least a decade now. Nobody who's anybody uses 5th wheels anymore.

I can't comment on how much an LT1 likes the above.

A '98-00 LS1 will get along just fine at 1500 in 6th, but will struggle if you go much below that.

An '01-02 LS1 (different cam, intake manifold, and tune) will run in 6th at 1000 rpm with no problem, and it will accelerate from that speed, up a reasonable hill, without difficulty (slowly, but no lugging). I do it all the time in mine. You have to get down to 700-800 for it to lug.
so you dont have answers for my questions you just want to play spell check? i got it right the first time....RIMS.whats wrong with calling them RIMS and tires? they are rims.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by GMRL
I love 6th gear with the 3.42s, I like cruising on the interstate at 85 MPH at 1800RPM. Ive driven in 6th between 1000-1500 RPM, it cruises just fine, just downshift if you need to accelerate.
Be careful giving such a large rpm range. 1000rpm versus 1500rpm is a HUGE difference in 6th gear.

Are you telling me that you shift to 6th gear at 45mph? I want you to go do this on your way out to lunch or home from work and tell me you think it is just fine and not lugging the engine.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AdioSS
You forgot 2 engine families... The 3.4L and 3.8L V6s But of course neither was offered with a 6 speed, so that's beside the point
You made my point for me -- I didn't forget them, I excluded them.

You may be able to do it, but trying to accelerate from 1000rpm in 6th gear is lugging the engine in my opinion.
When you lug an engine, there are distinctive vibrations. For example, sometimes my '93 Regal 3800 lugs itself around 55mph in top gear (1000-1100 rpm) before it decides to downshift.

Those vibrations simply don't occur in my '02 LS1 in 6th gear at 45mph.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I would also suggest that the gas savings are minimal, if anything at all, because while the rpm is less (injectors don't fire as often), the load is much greater (injectors shoot more gas when they do fire).
Higher load on an internal combustion engine typically translates to more efficiency, not less. That's why cars with small, low-power engines running at higher RPM tend to get better fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Personal preference I guess.
I would argue that it might be old habits, or even old wive's tales. If I'm not mistaken, you and ZZ are among our older members, and lugging was a bigger issue in the past, especially in the pre-EFI days.

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
so you dont have answers for my questions you just want to play spell check? i got it right the first time....RIMS.whats wrong with calling them RIMS and tires? they are rims.
The rim is just the outside edge of the wheel.

As for answering your questions... yes, numerically higher gear ratios in the rear end will improve acceleration, at the expense of fuel economy. Also, your engine will run at higher RPM when cruising, which may introduce exhaust drone, depending on your setup.

And no, there's not really anything weird about how they change tire sizes along with wheel sizes to maintain the same overall diameter.

Are you telling me that you shift to 6th gear at 45mph? I want you to go do this on your way out to lunch or home from work and tell me you think it is just fine and not lugging the engine.
My Camaro is tucked safely away in the garage until the snow/ice/salt have been cleared from the roads for the season, but I assure you, I have done this hundreds of times, and it is not lugging the engine.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 02-19-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 AM

this isnt the old days any more. there are more than 1 term for WHEELS. and RIM is one of those terms.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

this isnt the old days any more.

there are more than 1 term for WHEELS. and RIM is one of those terms.
It's a commonly used term, but it's inaccurate. I object to inaccurate use of language, as it dulls our ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with others. The average American's control of the English language these days is pitiful, and I think it's part of what is dragging this country down.

Hence my requests for you to please get these things right.

Quick Reply: 0-60=4.7