2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

* Ambient lighting - the FINAL update *

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 AM

Exclamation * Ambient lighting - the FINAL update *

Official word:

There have been many inquiries from customers who saw a very early pre-production photo of the Camaro interior. The photo displayed a blue ambient light traveling across the top of the door panel inserts and on to the dash. This early concept proved to be very popular, and the product team worked on developing a similar feature for the production model.

As a result an ambient lighting feature is now a standard condition with the start of production on all 2LT and 2SS models. This light will have a light blue tint with Black, Neutral and Gray interiors, and reddish-orange tint when the Inferno Orange Interior Package is ordered. This feature is only in the door panels and not across the dash as the concept photo originally illustrated.

This feature is not an orderable option, but will be included on all 2LT and 2SS models at the start of production. No action is required by the customers or dealers to receive this feature.

At the Cleveland Auto Show this weekend, we plan to show an image of how the light is displayed and answer questions.

Our goal was to have the look of the early rendering (and it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature), but there were a couple of issues with execution. In the end, a desire to have the highest quality look, fit and feel for the interior won out (which is the way it should be). I know some will be disappointed, but I still think in the end we have the best in class interior.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

Is a red light a non possibility? Will this just be small LED lights or what is making the light?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 AM

sweet and im going to the cleveland auto show saturday morning for the VIP event. ill try to get some good pictures. wonder why it isnt going to be going across the whole top of the dash anymore.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
sweet and im going to the cleveland auto show saturday morning for the VIP event. ill try to get some good pictures. wonder why it isnt going to be going across the whole top of the dash anymore.
the whole impersonating a cop thing?

might have just answered my original question about the red
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 AM

Hurl.

No offense intended to those that like it.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM

1SS here, no worries
Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Excellent news. I love the feature. Too bad it isn't across the dash too. At least it makes production in some form. I think it's bogus that it's not available on ALL SS's though. I think it should be part of the RS package.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Cool! I wish it was actoss the whole dash too, but I guess it is better to at least have it on the doors than not having it at all. The lastest rumor was that it was too hot for the dash, would like to know if this is true or not, but we may never find out...Hey 2010 5thgen, try and get some pics and videos of the ABL if you can. A nice few second video would be really cool if possible, thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

A couple of things...

I am unhappy that it is not on the dash as a lot of us had hoped.

Having said that...I have been told that some who were testing early versions found the dash lights distracting, even though they can be dimmed. I wish I could make that decision myself, but unfortuantely, it is how it is (because of execution issues as mentioned in the first post).

I am otherwise extremely happy about the interior and this won't make me enjoy my car any less.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
A couple of things...

I am unhappy that it is not on the dash.

Having said that...I have been told that some who were testing early versions found the dash lights distracting, even though they can be dimmed. I wish I could make that decision myself, but unfortuantely, it is how it is.

I am otherwise extremely happy about the interior and this won't make me enjoy my car any less.
Well if that's the reason, then couldn't they put a 2 stage switch on it that turns the whole shebang on or just the doors? Give US the option.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by the kid 05
the whole impersonating a cop thing?

might have just answered my original question about the red
no. fbodfather posted that there was a peview before the show for 150+ people and i signed up and im in. 7:30 on saturday morning.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
A couple of things...

I am unhappy that it is not on the dash as a lot of us had hoped.

Having said that...I have been told that some who were testing early versions found the dash lights distracting, even though they can be dimmed. I wish I could make that decision myself, but unfortuantely, it is how it is.

yeah that should be something WE get to determine. at least it has a dimmer on it. if it didnt have any options for turnin it down i can see them making the call.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by christianjax
Well if that's the reason
No no no, I am not saying that is the reason at all. The first post has the reason in the last paragraph.

Our goal was to have the look of the early rendering (and it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature), but there were a couple of issues with execution
I am just saying that some have noted a small downside to it.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM

i cant wait to see it. i think its still gonna look really good. plus if you dont like it , turn it off.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:48 AM

From what I'm gathering from the original post, they were having problems with fit & finish of the lit dash inserts.
Instead of delaying the car any further, they decided to eliminate the ambient lighting from the dash inserts while leaving it in the door inserts.

With that said, I think the ambient lighting package should be a stand alone option across all the trims lines.
I don't like the look of the shiny, hard plastic inserts, and would probably remove them when I got the car and replace them with the fabric inserts, even if that meant the loss of the ambient lighting.

Quick Reply: * Ambient lighting - the FINAL update *