2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] Drifting bad for your radio????

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Question Drifting bad for your radio????

Ok, so i was do some drifting in my car the other day(before i put her away for the winter). I came around a turn and gave it some gas and the back end was slidding out. suddenly my Ipod freaks out and the radio goes into fuzz mode. just a bunch of buzzing. RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A PERFECT DRIFT! now i have noticed before with my radio that when using my ipod, some times it starts to skip and becomes very delayed when changing songs. anyone know whats going on? i figure id take it in to my dealership but they wouldnt be able to do anything without seeing or hearing what its doing.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sorry buddy...I got nothing for this one!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:30 PM

ive only heard one other case where someone has had the same problem as me. my dealer probably wont even believe me unless is can prove it, for the repair. so whats a guy to do?
Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of iPod do you have?

If it's one of the hard-drive-based models, the vibration of driving (and especially drifting) may be taking a toll on the hard drive in it. In that case, you should probably replace your iPod with one of the solid-state models (shuffle, nano, touch).

As for the buzzing, is it possible that the iPod came partially unplugged from the car?

I doubt that anything at all is wrong with the car itself.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM

i have a ipod touch. no it didnt come undone. its something with the radio. ive noticed it ever since i got the car that using the ipod (occasionally), it would pulse when trying to change songs. to stop it i would have to turn it off or go to the radio. the only way to re use the ipod again was if i turned the car off completely then turned it back on. that was the first problem. then i noticed this loud static the other day when getting loose around some corners. its gotta be a glitch in the connections in the radio or somewhere for the ipod use.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 PM

It's not just you....wife just got an Ipod touch and it started skipping right before it locked the system up.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Ipod itself, as the radio has been acting up intermittently since the first month. It started with the phone blue toothed in and when I would receive a call nothing happened when I answered it and the radio stopped responding afterward. I finally figured out that, for some reason, the car transferred it to the onstar system instead of using my phone. Solved the problem by hitting the phone button twice to transfer to the onstar system and telling it to "end call". System went back to normal after that.

That happened every great once in a while until recently when it started happening more and more. A few days ago it hung on an incoming call and just rang off the hook until I was able to pull over and shut off the car to disconnect it.....the bluetooth never came back until I let it sit overnight. It worked fine after I came out of a restaurant tonight when it happened, so it may have something to do with the battery saving stuff after...ten minutes I think.

Now it looks like it's not responding after about thirty minutes or so. It locks up when using anything bluetooth. After that, if I select Aux. or try to use the usb port, the system hangs...no information display, no menues, power button doesn't work. The only way to unfreeze it is to manually select Radio or CD. Looks like I need that whole unit replaced.

It may be that yours is on the way out.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM

I'm not sure if this helps, but I notice on my trailblazer that when my traction controll engages, it suxs up alot of my power, as my headlights, my radio, and the lights to my gauges all go dimmer. Maybe its a loss of electricty....
Old 01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
I'm not sure if this helps, but I notice on my trailblazer that when my traction controll engages, it suxs up alot of my power, as my headlights, my radio, and the lights to my gauges all go dimmer. Maybe its a loss of electricty....
Yep, that happens on my TB as well. Good theory.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
dont know if thats it, but there was no loss of power in the headlights or anything else when this happened. the traction control was off also, so nothing was engaging.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by MetalDragon
It's not just you....wife just got an Ipod touch and it started skipping right before it locked the system up.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Ipod itself, as the radio has been acting up intermittently since the first month. It started with the phone blue toothed in and when I would receive a call nothing happened when I answered it and the radio stopped responding afterward. I finally figured out that, for some reason, the car transferred it to the onstar system instead of using my phone. Solved the problem by hitting the phone button twice to transfer to the onstar system and telling it to "end call". System went back to normal after that.

That happened every great once in a while until recently when it started happening more and more. A few days ago it hung on an incoming call and just rang off the hook until I was able to pull over and shut off the car to disconnect it.....the bluetooth never came back until I let it sit overnight. It worked fine after I came out of a restaurant tonight when it happened, so it may have something to do with the battery saving stuff after...ten minutes I think.

Now it looks like it's not responding after about thirty minutes or so. It locks up when using anything bluetooth. After that, if I select Aux. or try to use the usb port, the system hangs...no information display, no menues, power button doesn't work. The only way to unfreeze it is to manually select Radio or CD. Looks like I need that whole unit replaced.

It may be that yours is on the way out.
i think thats whats going to have to be done. ill probably just take it in to the shop when i get it out of storage and tell them to get me a new head unit. i never had problems with the blu tooth. its only been with the ipod. static,songs skipping. but the radio works fine.