2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Exterior] Installing the GM high wing spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:22 AM

[Exterior] Installing the GM high wing spoiler

I finally got the GM high wing spoiler and I have to say it looks real good. Some people say it looks "Ricey" but I have to say it is at only one particular angle and I think that is due to the trunk lid angling down.

This is a two person project if you go this route and fortunately I had a fellow bored Camaro enthusiast that came over last night to help me.

If you already have an SS or an RS camaro, go the route I did and get a new trunk lid. I went to car-part.com and looked around and found one at Schram Auto that had no spoiler and was the same color of my car. I spent $300 for it, but since discount price of a new trunk lid was $327 I figured I saved a bit, and didn't have to paint it.

A shout out to Doug Barrett at Schram who had the part delivered to the Mason store for me, and sent me pictures of the actual part, before buying.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM

Re: [Exterior] Installing the GM high wing spoiler

When you get the spoiler, you will also get the instructions, a couple of new shocks for the trunk (extra weight) and a pass through wiring harness that you will hook up for the brake light.

Something I didn't have, but you will need are a 5/8" hole saw and a 3/4" hole saw.

The directions also don't tell you this, they say to use a flat blade screw driver, to tighten the bolts for the spoiler but I needed a T20 Torx bit

Also in the box is a nice template. Lay that across your deck lid, and use a punch to mark the hole locations. I used a hammer and nail.

On the passenger's side you drill 3 holes. The directions tell you to drill a 1/8" pilot hole through both layers of metal, and I drilled all the way through for the wiring hole (middle hole). If I had to do that over I wouldn't drill that all the way through both layers as it is unneccessary.

The drivers side only has two holes, and you only enlarge the tops of the 4 spoiler bolts. You will use the 3/4" hole saw on the bottom metal layer then install washers later.

From this point Matt and I worked on the rest of the steps and then installed it in the car.

Since it is pretty fresh in my memory, we had to fish the spoiler wire into the trunk and pull out near the top so it runs with the factory wire that is for the trunk release.

To get the carpet off of the existing trunk lid, we used a claw hammer to pull out the tabs. I had to unfortunately break the built in zip ties for the main wire for the trunk. Once the carpet is back on you never know the difference though.

When installing the brake light wires the plug is right near the seat belt. You don't need to remove the whole trim but just pull the trim back enough, and route the wires through the lower path otherwise you'll be running the brake light wires to the rear deck/speaker area.

Also be sure that when you bolt down the spoiler that the wires are all the way through. We didn't do that and had a heck of a time getting them back in.

Oh and the nuts to remove the trunk lid are 10mm.

The instructions also don't tell you how to remove the shocks, but you need a small flat blade screw driver to pry up the clips on the top and bottom and they slide off.

Once the sun went down we passed a point of no return so we installed the new decklid with high wing spoiler.

And here it is in the daylight after driving it in to work. You lose some rear visibility. Maybe about 2 inches above the brake light, but you can still see most everything you need as well and look out from below the spoiler.

Last edited by skuttduck; 07-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Here is another camera angle showing you how it looks from slightly above the car.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM

If anyone is interested I could PDF the instructions.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM

hhmmmmm....im torn about this spoiler....i think it would look good on my car....but im affraid to chance it. some pictures ive seen it looks horrible and others i see, i kinda like it. i think it takes a certain car to pull it off. its almost like you need the ground effects to pull it off and make it look right with the car.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
hhmmmmm....im torn about this spoiler....i think it would look good on my car....but im affraid to chance it. some pictures ive seen it looks horrible and others i see, i kinda like it. i think it takes a certain car to pull it off. its almost like you need the ground effects to pull it off and make it look right with the car.
Directly behind the car it looks a little too tall. Every other angle it looks sweet. You do lose a bit of visibility out the rear mirror, but nothing bad.

In fact it helps me when backing into parking spots now.

It would help to see it in person though, that way you can walk around it, etc..
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

isnt this spoiler the one on the new transformer edition?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
isnt this spoiler the one on the new transformer edition?
I believe it is.

I saw the movie car in Oshawa, and that spoiler while similar was not the high wing. Veteran 1 however had the highwing installed, and ultimately that is what made me get it.

I've got some idea for Vinyl, and will be working on getting that done, and I'll post up some pics when I do.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:22 PM

no this spoiler is not the same as the actual movie bumblebee. its just the spoiler on the transformer edition camaro.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Did you buy the spoiler from a local dealer or online, if so where? How much was the spoiler and do you have a part #. It looks great by the way. Good work on the install instructions.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TekScrew
Did you buy the spoiler from a local dealer or online, if so where? How much was the spoiler and do you have a part #. It looks great by the way. Good work on the install instructions.
I bought it from Maureen at Rodgers Chevrolet.

I tried my local dealer, they couldn't find me a RJT spoiler, told me they can have one painted and that will be $700. They were out.

I contacted GMpartshouse, they couldn't find a RJT spoiler, so I could have one painted. So they were out.

The cost I paid for the high wing spoiler, and RS badge was $458 with the tax and shipping.

If anyone wants to get it in RJT, the part number is 20979731
Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM

I realized I never finished uploading my photos!

Here are pictures with the rally stripes, trunk blackout and custom high wing vinyl installed.

While this may look too tall, the highwing matches the lines of the car perfectly. There is a similar wing on the 3rd Gen.

From up top, I think this looks real nice.

Here is the visibility that you lose. I found I appreciate this more as can back into parking spaces easier. My car is one of the earlier ones without backup sensors.

Opened trunk.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Cool Re: [Exterior] Installing the GM high wing spoiler

Originally Posted by skuttduck
If anyone is interested I could PDF the instructions.
just got a high wing for my car used and did not come with the instrctions or a template do u know were i can come up with them ?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by grimace
just got a high wing for my car used and did not come with the instrctions or a template do u know were i can come up with them ?
I still have the instructions, and may still have the template. Did they give you the washers and such for it, and the pass through wiring for your brake light?

There is a part number on the template, but it does give you measurements of where to drill the holes.