2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Tires] Which replacement tires....Nitto or factory

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Which replacement tires....Nitto or factory

I don't know which brand, model of tire to purchase for my 2 SS. I like the looks of the Nitto which model and size. How many miles are people getting with Nitto. I do drive aggressive, and would like to improve handling over the factory tire.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

I am usually happy with Nitto tires, but I haven't had the chance to put the NT-05 through its paces just yet. As soon as it warms up, I am going to find out!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM

why would you want to get rid of one of the best tires out? Pirelli is known for having a very sticky tire. not to put down Nitto in any way, but its almost like downgrading. what Nitto style were you going to go with? I was concidering Nitto for my 22's because they are a very good tire and one of the few companies that makes a performance tire for a larger wheel. but i have decided to go back to Pirelli P Zero Nero. if you want to spend money on good tires, go with Michelin Pilot Ps2 sport. thats an amazing tire.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Needing new rear tires will be happening sooner that I first thought.....when talking the LS3 out of traction control hole shots are better than leaving the control on. I am thinking about changing all four. I am thinking I would do even better with a 305 tire on the rear vs the 275. I like the visual view of the wider new foot print front and rear too. I don't know anything about which tire in the Nitto line to purchase...I am thinking NT-5 or the Invo. I am wanting to hear more info from some members that might give me their first hand experience.

Pirelli is the first to produce a factory suitible Camaro SS OEM tire. They aren't going to be the only High Tech tire in production.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM

their not the only high tech tire in production. but they are one of the best. i put them in the top 3 tires. Michelin,goodyear,pirelli,bfgoodrich,nitto......
Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Texhoss
I am thinking NT-5 or the Invo. I am wanting to hear more info from some members that might give me their first hand experience.
I have the NT-05 but unfortunately, by the time they got installed the weather/pavement was very cold and wet and under 6lbs of boost, traction was next to nothing.

As soon as spring comes around and I take the car out of storage, I will put them through their paces on some hot pavement.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
their not the only high tech tire in production. but they are one of the best. i put them in the top 3 tires. Michelin,goodyear,pirelli,bfgoodrich,nitto......
I wouldint put good for a year tires that high up on the list, ive always found that there great for the first two or three launches, then they spin like theres no tomorrow. thats just my opinion thou.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM

I find it funny how people rate tires. Often these are people who dont do anything but roll on their tires.. Once you start autoxing regularly or even drag racing you start to learn a bucketload about tires,composition, sidewall strength..

If it were me, I would look at some sticky tires. The problem with NT05s is that they will be quiet and not the greatest on the wet. Quiet due to the large shoulder blocks.. so its similar to a slick in that it wont squeal when you put it to the limit. Kumho Ecsta XS are similar in this regard only they are tad more sticky.

I think what you honestly have to do is decide what you want the tire for and get the one that best suits your needs.. For price and performance I go with Yokohamas as they have a great balance.. but they are not competitive tires so when I want to race I get the Kumhos.. if I were to go drag racing I would get a drag radial.. get the right tire or tires and you will be a happier driver.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by heavyc
I wouldint put good for a year tires that high up on the list, ive always found that there great for the first two or three launches, then they spin like theres no tomorrow. thats just my opinion thou.
goodyear is one of the best and its proven. personaly experience doesnt mean its not one of the best still. yeah they wear down very quickly, any sticky tire does. and i highly doubt that you could tell a difference in the "stickyness" from the 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th launch. i could make any tire spin like theres no tomorrow, on a launch.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Well, I got the car out today for the first time since late November. With only a few miles on the tires, and still cold pavement, and a lot of power , traction was difficult. Having 5lbs too much air in them also didn't help at all. I didn't notice until I got home and remember to check. Duh.

I will try again, maybe break the tires in a bit on some warmer pavement and with the proper pressure.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM

mine still sleeps..gonna snow in toronto next week....got 50 pds in my tires for the winter hibernation....what pressure you guys running in these factory pirellis??
Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
mine still sleeps..gonna snow in toronto next week....got 50 pds in my tires for the winter hibernation....what pressure you guys running in these factory pirellis??
Door jam says 36 lbs.