2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

What's the hold up on Direct Injection?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM

What's the hold up on Direct Injection?

I hate to keep harping on this but why is it we still don't have DI available from GM in the V8 engine lineup? How hard would it be to convert the LS3 and LSA to DI? The ecotec turbo has had it for 3 years now. I would like to see a DI LSA and LS3 but I doubt it is gonna happen, we'll probably end up getting the smaller 5.5 with DI. The mileage improvements alone would seem to make it a reasonable undertaking and the extra torque and hp would be nice as well! I bet the LS3 with DI could get possibly sneak past the gas guzzler tax in the auto.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Re: What's the hold up on Direct Injection?

Direct injection requires a LOT of changes to an existing engine that wasn't designed for it in the first place. It won't just be a simple conversion. You'll never see a DI LS3 or LSA from GM (unless GM reuses those engine codes in 40 years or something).

The Gen5 V8s are expected to debut with the C7 Corvette, probably model year 2013. Direct Injection is extremely likely to be included on those engines. I've heard rumors of multiple cams (but still cam-in-block, not OHC), or maybe a phased cam-in-cam setup like the Viper.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:25 PM

im kinda curious myself about this. the DI 3.6 has been out for a few years now and they have seen the great results on that. and they should obviously have had enough time to do research on this to get it going. not only could it be used in the camaro,and vette, but it could also be used in the escalade,denali,2500 series trucks.... i do think the 6th gen will be a DI 5.5, but i would love to see the results of a DI 6.2.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
im kinda curious myself about this. the DI 3.6 has been out for a few years now and they have seen the great results on that. and they should obviously have had enough time to do research on this to get it going. not only could it be used in the camaro,and vette, but it could also be used in the escalade,denali,2500 series trucks.... i do think the 6th gen will be a DI 5.5, but i would love to see the results of a DI 6.2.
Being an entirely new architecture, there's really no reason or basis for any assumptions on displacement. They'll pick the minimum displacement that allows them to accomplish their target power levels, or maybe the maximum displacement that allows them to accomplish their target fuel economy levels.

Just curious -- where did you get the 5.5L figure? Did you make it up yourself, or just parrot it from someone else (who themselves either made it up or parroted it)?
Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

5.5 is the magic number.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM

5.5 is the motors in the c6R race car now. normally those are test motors for GM and they make their way into the vette. plus it was in a vette magazine i read. they said that was the test motor that will eventually make it into the vette.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

5.5 is the motors in the c6R race car now. normally those are test motors for GM and they make their way into the vette. plus it was in a vette magazine i read. they said that was the test motor that will eventually make it into the vette.
C6R is in a class that limits it to 5.5L. Lots of people are basing their assumptions on that, and there's almost certainly some tech from that motor that will trickle down to the production version, but it's silly to assume that displacement will be the same. I'm not saying it's not a possibility, but my money's on it being something different.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM

well, its already been told that the c7 is going to be a smaller car and lighter and its going to be running a smaller displacement v8. and i know the c6r needs it fortheir class, but gm also needs it for CAFE. dont rule it out. theres no sense in making a motor like the 5.5 and putting it in a race car if there is no intention of using it in a production vehicle. especially when the class the c6r is in, is a production based race car class.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM

well, its already been told that the c7 is going to be a smaller car and lighter and its going to be running a smaller displacement v8. and i know the c6r needs it fortheir class, but gm also needs it for CAFE. dont rule it out. theres no sense in making a motor like the 5.5 and putting it in a race car if there is no intention of using it in a production vehicle. especially when the class the c6r is in, is a production based race car class.
5.5L is a production displacement figure that has been thrown around forever. Frankly there is no basis for this. GM hasn't raced the 6.2L displacement and yet that's what we got for Gen IV. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a 6.2 or similar displacement with direct injection in the C7.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

well, its already been told that the c7 is going to be a smaller car and lighter and its going to be running a smaller displacement v8.
Show me where GM has said any of that in an official statement or press release.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 PM

ok. give me some time. my dads got the article and it was from a few months ago.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM

on second thought, why dont you look it up. i dont have time just to prove you something. if you dont believe it then thats fine. im not gonna waste countless hours lookig for an article for you to tell me that its not true.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
5.5L is a production displacement figure that has been thrown around forever. Frankly there is no basis for this. GM hasn't raced the 6.2L displacement and yet that's what we got for Gen IV. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a 6.2 or similar displacement with direct injection in the C7.
your right. they havent raced a 6.2. but they raced a 5.7 and a 7.0. and the 5.7 is basically the same motor. they dont need to race every motor that they put in the car.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM

heres just 1 article i found. http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrole...e-5-5l-v8.html
but there are many more.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM

your right. they havent raced a 6.2. but they raced a 5.7 and a 7.0. and the 5.7 is basically the same motor. they dont need to race every motor that they put in the car.
The bottom line is, because GM is racing a specific displacement engine it is assumed by some people that the exact engine is going into the production car as the Gen 5 V8 (minus the exotic racing bits). There is no basis for this. It could happen, but throwing this around as fact is premature to say the least. This would be like me saying that because Chevrolet is getting back into Indy Car with its development of a turbocharged 2.4L V6 race motor, a turbo 2.4L V6 will also be offered in a future high performance car.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...-for-2012-car/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the hold up on Direct Injection?