2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Tuning yourself out of a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Tuning yourself out of a warranty?

I did the muffler delete and K@N Rampage C.A.I, and now I really want to do a dyno tune but don't want to affect the warranty. Does anyone know if tuning is allowed under the warranty? There is no way I will do one if it affects it. Thanks

2010 2SS/RS 6m
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM

Technically, they can pull your warranty for any modification to the car. The mufflers probably wouldn't draw attention, the cold air likely will, and a dyno tune defiantely will.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Tuning will pretty much void any warranty no matter what breaks.
Most bolt-ons like catback and cai will rarely cause issues with warranty unless they are directly related to a claim.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:12 AM

They are correct. Basically, any little "modification" can void your warranty.

Personally, if you're looking to "fool" the stealerships these days. I would just purchase a second PCM, put it in before the tuning and get that pcm tuned. Then one day before you go to the dealership for your warranty work, just go ahead and switch them back.

One thing I did just think about though. Does anyone know where the actual odometer information stored? And would switching from PCM to PCM alter the actual milege from the displayed mileage? Something to ponder..
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by FBodyBros
One thing I did just think about though. Does anyone know where the actual odometer information stored? And would switching from PCM to PCM alter the actual milege from the displayed mileage? Something to ponder..
The instrument cluster stores the mileage.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act requires that your warranty be upheld, even if you have modifications, unless the modification itself was directly related to the defect/failure that led to the warranty claim.

A tune is "directly related" to an awful lot of stuff on the car, so it would make your warranty invalid for a lot of things, but there are also a lot of things that the warranty would still cover (body, interior, wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, and more).
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Re: Tuning yourself out of a warranty?

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act requires that your warranty be upheld, even if you have modifications, unless the modification itself was directly related to the defect/failure that led to the warranty claim.

A tune is "directly related" to an awful lot of stuff on the car, so it would make your warranty invalid for a lot of things, but there are also a lot of things that the warranty would still cover (body, interior, wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, and more).
I work at a "stealership" and he's correct here. depends on what kind of problem your having. the whole warranty would not be voided. only whatever parts of it the modifications directly applied to. a "tune" is something the O.E.'s are starting to check for more and more with blown engines. while I havent tried it on the 5 gens, the 2 pcms idea would do the trick perfectly. but ofcourse now your spending alot more money to get a tune.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:51 PM

Re: Tuning yourself out of a warranty?

I had a 97 Trans Am with tons of mods and the dealership had no problems with an SLP CAI, and other mods. At first they tried to negate the warranty for the EGR pointing at my JBA Longtube headers, but I pointed out GMPP sold them under warranty. They eventually did the warranty replacement.

I don't know if things have changed in the 6 year or so I've been out of this, but you used to be able to return to stock tunes with any tuner. So, return to stock, get warranty/smog check, and then go back to tune. Supposedly California was even going to start checking CHECKSUMs in the PCM to catch tunes, but I don't know if that ever passed (OBD3?)