2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Slight rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Slight rough idle

maybe I'm being paranoid but my new 2012 SS has A mild miss at idle and earlier today I had a "miss" in second gear. The camaro has 850 miles on it. I've been feeding only 93 octane fuel as well. Could this be part of the break in process? Maybe it's cause it's a LS3 and the car is suppose to shake on idle.....
Old 06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Slight rough idle

Any modifications at all?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM

No mods at all. I was the first person to ever drive it. Considering this is the first ever new car I have ever owned I'm really paranoid about every little thing the car does. I got the oil changed yesterday for the first time @ 1000 miles and the only reason I done that is cause I read everyone else was doing it at 500 miles. I really want what's best for my camaro SS. M6. Hurst shifter..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

I wouldn't say it should shake on idle. Did it only happen once? Can you feel it and see it or just feel it?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Always does it on idle. The only thing I can think of why it would have this rough idle would be from the dealer possible adding regular unleaded when I first bought it. They did buy me a full tank I don't know what octane was put in. At the time. Cause we where doing the paper work when they had bought me a full tank. 1-10 10 being the worst miss the car could have before it would shut itself off. I'd give it a 3. As if it needed a minor tune up

Last edited by ImperialSS; 06-05-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus

Bad gas might make that happen, but regular octane gas shouldn't at idle.

I'd take it in and have them run a code check on it. Might be something basic.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM

GM tech told me today that there was a bulletin for certain engines of cars/trucks that just has an aggressive crankshaft that the rough idle was normal and the diagnostic said no codes came up. So my camaro is squared away......

Is anyone able to post a short video of there rpm gauge on a hot engine idle to compare LS3s???

I guess I should be thankful that the beast within wants to be unleashed!!! It's almost at 1500 miles broken in.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM

My 2012 tahoe with the dod 5.3 does this. Really ruff idle that comes and goes. I have had it to the dealer twice for this and once they replaced the fuel filter, the second time they said it was normal. I bought a new vehicle so i would not have to continually work on my own cars as i work on cars for a living, so this issue is frustrating to say the least.

I have not had any codes thrown, or missfire counters recorded according to my solus pro. I have noticed the volt gauge is either really low or on the top end of the volt gauge "good" zone thats marked when its acting up with rough idle . I have not had a chance to get a DMM volt meter hooked up while its doing this. Also, i have a throttle lag that happens when the rough idle is present. Of course this is on a tahoe, but if you have a DOD equiped camaro, there could be a link since your symptoms seem similar.

There have been postings on other forums of others with the trucks and tahoes having these problems with everyone getting the same answer i got. This is the first camaro i have herd of with the same symptoms.

Figured i would post to say your not alone, and it appears to be a multiple model problem, most likely related to software, or possibly related to the DBW Tb setup.

hope you have better luck getting it fixed then i have had.

thanks
anthony
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ImperialSS
Is anyone able to post a short video of there rpm gauge on a hot engine idle to compare LS3s???
I paid attention at lunch today and my new 2012 SS with only 376 miles on it idles around 500 to 600 rpm while sitting in traffic after a while. It idles smoothly and I haven't felt any problems. Like you I also have a 6 speed manual transmission. The needle stays pretty much in one place while idling in traffic, even after driving it for a while. Good luck!

Last edited by Brandon_Lutz; 06-11-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Thanks for those replies guys. I've read on other forums that the rough idle was normal for these cars. It disturbes me to think I'm one in few with this issue. If there is something wrong with my new camaro and no codes throw then how do you know something is wrong?