2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

More power

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:34 PM

More power

new to this site, just got a LS3, can I get good power with a CAI and predator tuner? is stock exhaust sufficiant?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 AM

sufficient for what? was it sufficient for me? no. i had to replace it. is it sufficient for you? as far as good power, what power is good enough for you? are you looking to get 10,20, 50 rwhp? depends how much your looking for to tell you if its good power.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM

re-powerhog

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had good results with just a CAI with a 93 octane tune, 10-20 rwhp & rwtrq would be cost effective to me if the stock exhaust flow is sufficiant for this combination of Mods. Because if I put on headers and free flowing exhaust then I have to do cam and head work or I could do more damage then good by causeing reversion and even worst bastardization to the intake stroke right? Then I gotta do fuel delivery work and the cost never ends, I don't drive WOT to work every day or race kids in toyota's all I want is a freer breathing engine at a minimum cost. any good advise will be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by powerhog
I guess I'm asking if anyone has had good results with just a CAI with a 93 octane tune, 10-20 rwhp & rwtrq would be cost effective to me if the stock exhaust flow is sufficiant for this combination of Mods. Because if I put on headers and free flowing exhaust then I have to do cam and head work or I could do more damage then good by causeing reversion and even worst bastardization to the intake stroke right? Then I gotta do fuel delivery work and the cost never ends, I don't drive WOT to work every day or race kids in toyota's all I want is a freer breathing engine at a minimum cost. any good advise will be appreciated.
It sounds like you're asking if the LS3 isn't breathing well on the intake and exhaust side from the factory. I think to some degree most engines are held back for a myriad of reasons from the factory; emissions, noise, packaging etc. I don't have all the numbers but I know the LS3 like the LS engines before it shows good power gains from CAI, tune and a catback exhaust system. That's not to say that you need to do all of those or any of them. Just that the LS3 does seem to respond well to those mods.

As for the rest of the mods you listed. They all will increase HP over an LS3 without those mods but I don't think they are worth the cost on a stock engine.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:02 AM

why would you have to do a head and cam package if you put on a full exhaust? and in the car world, one mod LAWAYS leads to another. no matter what. its addicting.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM

why head work

A man can put an open exhaust on an engine and obviously it will change the flow rate and back pressure which will change the scavaging effects of the exhaust causeing reversion at certian rpm's and that in effect causeing bastardization, you sound good but lost hp & trq. to correct it you must change the cam lift, duration and lobe seperation angle along with head porting in order for all this to work togather properly in an open exhaust system. I don't mean to sound argumentive, I have done some engine work in my past but I am not familiar with this LS3. If a CAI, predator program, axle back will not work with a positive effect then I will continue to search out what has worked for others. Semper fi.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:28 PM

i have done headers and catback on a few other ls motors and have never lost power. good luck with your journey my friend but i think the head cam work may not be needed as much as you say,if adding headers and a catback.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 AM

a little more power

Thank you for your replies, I am thinking more strongly about Headers with high flow cats, likely Borla all the way back to the tips, CAI, and predator sport tune, 1st to 4th skip shift eliminator, do you know how much loader this will be in the car as to will I have to crank up the volume on the radio? or can I still enjoy a fairly quite ride when not getting on it? again thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM

A man can put an open exhaust on an engine and obviously it will change the flow rate and back pressure which will change the scavaging effects of the exhaust causeing reversion at certian rpm's and that in effect causeing bastardization, you sound good but lost hp & trq. to correct it you must change the cam lift, duration and lobe seperation angle along with head porting in order for all this to work togather properly in an open exhaust system. I don't mean to sound argumentive, I have done some engine work in my past but I am not familiar with this LS3. If a CAI, predator program, axle back will not work with a positive effect then I will continue to search out what has worked for others. Semper fi.
No. Just no. Headers and catback will net a good power gain in nearly every usable RPM range. I have built cars from a SBCs to LS1s and have never seen an engine need internal work due to headers and have never seen an engine loose power going from exhaust manifolds to headers.