2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

K&N Filter for V-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM

K&N Filter for V-6

Is it worth the $50 to just do a K&N filter in a 2011 V-6?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: K&N Filter for V-6

I wouldn't expect a ton of power out of it (if any), but I like knowing that it is tougher than regular paper, is 100% reuseable and filters better (IMO).
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM

I felt a difference with the throttle response when I added it to my 2010.

There are others on another site who liked to tell me that is all in my head. *SHRUG*
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM

You def will feel some difference.. I mean.. Just think about it .. Your engine can breathe better than through a stock box and paper filter..
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Not necessarily...it depends on what your intake manifold vacuum is.

For example...if the current filter poses some restriction but the manifold vacuum is (theoretical) zero (meaning it is moving as much air as possible), it won't make any difference to change to a less restrictive filter because it cannot swallow any more air regardless of what the filter is made of. At that point, the only way to increase performance is to go with forced induction, which creates the opposite of vacuum...AKA...boost!

Many will not believe me and I am find with that, but in dyno testing and using a vacuum gauge on my L99 2010 Camaro (when it was stock, of course)...

...adding an aftermarket intake didn't provide hardly any horsepower gains and in some cases...lost horsepower. The manifold vacuum readings didn't change much....hardly at all. That is why I stayed with the stock airbox. According to the owner of the dyno, the LS3 is another story and they do make some power gains with an aftermarket intake. I don't remember the specifics but I saw it with my own eyes. This was when the 2010s were new and he wanted to do some experimentation with it.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
100% reuseable and filters better (IMO).
Thats pretty much the only advantage they would have over a stock paper filter. It will eventually pay for itself, but remember, you cant just wash it out with the garden hose and stick it back in. It will have to be cleaned properly, and re-oiled.

And in actuality, if anything, it probably filters worse. The fact of the matter is that the better you want it to filter, the less it is going to flow. Plain and simple (unless you increase the surface area of the filter, which they cant do in a stock airbox). Thats not to say that your going to ruin your engine though. Chevrolet puts a paper filter in thats going to filter as much dirt as possible while still keeping an acceptible level of performance. They are going to play on the safe side, and put one in that filters at least a little better than it would need to to maintain long life of the powertrain. K&N can reduce this at least a little bit to achieve a greater amount of flow to get better performance while still keeping an acceptible level of filtration. They go through lots of testing to ensure you wont do any harm to you vehicle, but as you increase flow you decrease filtration. There have been some motorcycle guys install a K&N, and found it has actually let too much dirt in, causing some scary damage which is why I keep the stock filter in my bike. Ive never seen it in the car world though, so I wouldnt be afraid to install one in my camaro at all.

Originally Posted by skuttduck
I felt a difference with the throttle response when I added it to my 2010.

There are others on another site who liked to tell me that is all in my head. *SHRUG*
it is all in your head, i promise. It happens to all of us. I swear my car runs better when I change my oil, but I know theres no way that could make a noticable difference. Unless your paper filter is clogged up pretty bad, a K&N replacement filter is going to make MAYBE 1hp, and i mean 1hp at the motor. Thats a negligible difference at the rear wheels. If you add a whole intake system, that could definitely make a begger difference that could possible be felt.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:52 PM

yeah, i've always figured the K&N would let more dirt in than a paper filter. The K&N's are somewhat a pain to clean, you have to buy the cleaning kits and they need cleaned & re-oiled like every 15,000 miles because the oil leaks out and the filter wont work as well, the paper filters last for 45,000 miles and they are $30 so I'm sticking to paper since you'll only buy 3 - 4 for the life of the car.

I think cars do run smoother with new oil though.

Last edited by Evolution223; 08-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.