2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Check Engine Light Engine Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 AM

Check Engine Light Engine Misfire

Hey. I am new to the message board. I have a 2010 Camaro with 16,000 miles on it and my check engine light came on in November. I took it into the shop right away, and after spending a couple of days there they concluded that the engine had misfired at some point, but they did not know why. They thought it may need a new coil, so the dealer ordered a coil/part just in case the check engine light came on again in the future. I left the dealer a little weary because they did not seem to have a direct answer to why the check engine light was on.

The following month, in later December/early January, the check engine light came back on. I took the car to the dealer and they ended up putting a new coil and spark plug in. I thought everything would be fine with the car now. But....

Today, a month later the check engine light came on again. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I am confused to why this keeps happening. Has anyone had any problems like this before?

I do live in Michigan and it has been cold out, but I always fill my tank up with gas once it gets to about a quarter of a tank. I do not think it's air getting in through the gas cap, since it's been about a week since I last filled the car up. I usually let the car warm up before driving too. The oil is always changed regularly, and I use synthetic. The only thing I can really think that might play a factor into it is that every time it has happened has been right after a snowfall of 4 or more inches and when the temperature was pretty low. The only change I have made to the car has been getting my regular tires switched to winter tires and back at the change of seasons.

Any thoughts???
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Check Engine Light Engine Misfire

Any mods at all or 100% stock?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 PM

Re: Check Engine Light Engine Misfire

The only thing that changes on the car are the tires from winter to summer. And then I had to have an entire new driver side door put in because a soccer mom in her suburban backed into my car when it was parked on the street. But this problem started happening before the door was damaged.

The dealer told me today that this is a problem that is happening in certain 3.6 engines by Chevy, and that the company is investigating it.

I don't know all of the technical speak, but he basically said that the computer keeps reading a misfire when no misfire occurred. I hope they fix this soon because it seems to be happening every month. It is kinda annoying since I take it to the dealer every month when the check engine light is on just to make sure nothing is really wrong with the car.