2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zero to 60 in......

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Those of you that were at Indy last weekend had the opportunity to look closely at several 2010 Camaros. If you looked closely at the suspension you would have been able to observe the similarities and the differences of the ZETA G8 and ZETA Camaro. Both were on display. There were no barriers to comparison. If you looked through the wheel spokes, at the brakes or just took a close look by the wheel wells....

You could see the front struts have a different lower spring perch.
You could see the front wheel camber adjustment bolt is the same.
You could see that the forward rear sub-frame bush appeared to have the same NVH pattern.
You could see the rear sway bar endlinks appeared to be the same.

These are just a few of the items you could see at Indy. Does this make it the same or different? The new Camaro will be a Camaro. It will not be a G8. If nothing were changed except the wheelbase, spring height, spring rate and damping rate, the Camaro would not feel like a G8, it would be very different. Add in sway bar tuning, variations in bush design and other engineering modifications and a Camaro running on ZETA would be a very different vehicle. These are the types of changes routinely made by GM. Drive an Enclave, Acadia and Traverse. They are the same, but drive different. The Camaro will drive differently, much more so than these crossovers if for no other reason the change in wheelbase. Would it be the same, mostly the same or different than a ZETA G8 -- does it matter if it is a great Camaro?

I have not driven a new Camaro. I have driven more than one G8 and own one with 480 RWHP. My G8 has an upgraded suspension and absolutely does not wheel hop. Judge for yourself, do you see any wheel hop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0V8X7R3Fpw

Jason and Chris run a great website. I look forward to being a sponsor and spending more time here.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 AM

Hey Pete! Glad to see you made it here!
Thanks again for the ride in the G8! I can confirm that Pete's G8 sure sticks to the road...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Al,

We had a great time at Indy and with you and Blair. Blair is very cool or has been well trained by riding with you. She didn't bat an eyelash on our drive!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Justice Pete
. If nothing were changed except the wheelbase, spring height, spring rate and damping rate, the Camaro would not feel like a G8, it would be very different. Add in sway bar tuning, variations in bush design and other engineering modifications and a Camaro running on ZETA would be a very different vehicle.
Of course there will be tuning and other minor changes.

But the assertion is that Camaro will run a completely different suspension system than the G8. An assertion which is completely false.

BTW, I saw your car all weekend and was behind you on the track as you rode high up against the wall. I wish I would have come by to talk to you and checked out your car, it looks very cool!

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-25-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM

What were the rules for the track lap? Was it a parade lap with a speed limit of about 40 mph or what?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Guys, you can have the same parts, but slightly different geometry... and it will act and feel completely different.

Case in point: 4th gen rear suspension with relocation brackets. When I have my rear control arms 'level' at ride height (center hole, for me), the car handles pretty well even out on the ragged edge. But on hard acceleration I get a fair amount of wheel hop, which is detrimental to the life and longevity to my 10 bolt rear. When I move the arms to the lower hole (A difference of about an inch) the handling gets slightly less predictable on the ragged edge in cornering, but I completely eliminate my wheel hop issue. Same parts, just configured a bit differently. World of difference.