2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Zero to 60 in......

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Its funny how all you Ricky Racer types that gotta have a manual now think its no big deal that the auto is significantly faster.
Heh, Ricky Racer Blowing through two DOA's and finding out it was 1800+ a piece to fix them convinced me to be a Ricky Racer.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by GMPG7783
--- Assuming good health --- when you are 19 years old your physiological
reaction time is about 200-400milliseconds (0.400 seconds). This time increases throughout your life so at about age 60 your time ends up around 800mS.

The engine computer talks to the power train computer (and other on board computers), continuously sharing information. Calculations and decisions are made in nanoseconds.

For discussion, let's assume a 25Mhz processor clock speed. This translates into a calculation occurring once every 40 nanoseconds (0.000000040 seconds). The processor can make 10,000,000 calculations during the 400mS reaction time for a 19 year old! You can't think and react faster than sand! (a.k.a. silicon)

While the processor(s) are constantly optimizing performance, your 0-60 times are highly influenced by fuel combustion, transmission clutch slippage and road traction.

I would suggest that a truly level playing field is man against man both driving manual transmission setups, removing a bit of the technology and evaluating skill.
That is an awesome explination. Thanks. I did think in the past that automatics were consistant, but manuals were slightly quicker... Not sure I have that right. I perfer manual sports cars because I think they are more fun fun, but was really caught off gaurd. Also that as it is a less powerful car by 22hp to boot. Thank you for taking the time.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
L99 (auto) 13.3 @ 106 (I think that was the number)
LS3 (manual) 13.4 @ 108

Al said those numbers could change before the car was released and was sure that the 0-60 for the LS3 would be lower.
Were these the numbers released at the summit? Again, disappointing, and on par with a 10 year old LS1. I really told myself I would not get upset about the weight and that I would be assured when some actual numbers came out, but now that they're out...
Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Texas Moderator (1998-2009)

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
Oh and the BASE V6...14.7 in the 1/4
at 104mph though??? We at our table think that may have been an out loud typo.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:10 PM

If the six speed V8 is really trapping at 108, give it to me, and Ill get a 13.1x out of it, easy. And I'm not even that good.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by TrickStang37
the auto has very good gearing and quicker shifts, the manual has horrible gearing and is probably harder to launch. For almost any car with 300 hp+, 60mph is a relatively low speed. it's barely midway through second for most cars. this isnt the 80's anymore with 100-150 hp engines.

60 mph is too old of a bench mark. With all these modern cars being as powerfull and close 0-60, they should be looking at a new number, say, 0-75/80/100.
After Al announced 0-60 in 4.6 at the Summit the other night, I walked over and asked him specifically if that time was for the stick or the auto, since I was also under the impression that the auto was supposed to be faster.
Al replied replied that the 4.6 time was indeed, for the stick and that he was the one who actually wrung that time out of the car.
To confirm, I then said, "So the manual is quicker?" and his response was, "Yeah, by a couple of ticks."

... and the manual is actually now very easy to launch with the new Launch Control feature that's available on the SS. Al explained during the info session yesterday that in the right setting, just get the revs up and dump the clutch... and the car takes off with optimal grip. "It will make for very consistent times", was how Al described it.

He also added that they had just found there was actually a little bit of brake drag from the Brembos, and that he would be looking forward to a little better time once that gets ironed out.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Last edited by sselie; 09-21-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sselie
After Al announced 0-60 in 4.6 at the Summit the other night, I walked over and asked him specifically if that time was for the stick or the auto, since I was also under the impression that the auto was supposed to be faster.
Al replied replied that the 4.6 time was indeed, for the stick and that he was the one who actually wrung that time out of the car.
To confirm, I then said, "So the manual is quicker?" and his response was, "Yeah, by a couple of ticks."

... and the manual is actually now very easy to launch with the new Launch Control feature that's available on the SS. Al explained during the info session yesterday that in the right setting, just get the revs up and dump the clutch... and the car takes off with optimal grip. "It will make for very consistent times", was how Al described it.

He also added that they had just found there was actually a little bit of brake drag from the Brembos, and that he would be looking forward to a little better time once that gets ironed out.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Now this is good news, thank you for the correction.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sselie

Best regardSS,

Elie
Very interesting info. I thought the 6m would be quicker with the advertised extra power and less weight all other things being equal.
Launch control sounds very nice.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:24 PM

If they're getting mid-high 4s for the 0-60 shouldn't that be good enough to crack 12s in the quarter? I mean that is something like around a half second faster to 60 than the LS1 fourthgens, yet no quicker in the quarter? I'm thinking their quarter times are conservative...
Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

the g8 has wheel hop above stock level HP. We'll see if they improve from it since it's essentially the same.

He's said all that stuff before too, but the car is what it is whether we forget about that stuff or have all the faith in the world. it's not going to change anything.

You're right!

I've said that stuff before........

......................and ..........uhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

.......lemme go look.....................

Yup! I was right!!!

...and the Camaro is not 'essentially the same' as the G8 -- (unless we're talking generalities such as 'rear wheel drive' and "independent rear suspension"......

Last edited by Fbodfather; 09-21-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ray86IROC
If they're getting mid-high 4s for the 0-60 shouldn't that be good enough to crack 12s in the quarter? I mean that is something like around a half second faster to 60 than the LS1 fourthgens, yet no quicker in the quarter? I'm thinking their quarter times are conservative...
0 to 60 is all torque and torque multiplication (grearing). Cars like the mustang can hit 60 in 4.9 but do not run low 13's. It all depends............
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
You're right!

I've said that stuff before........

......................and ..........uhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

.......lemme go look.....................

Yup! I was right!!!

...and the Camaro is not 'essentially the same' as the G8 -- (unless we're talking generalities such as 'rear wheel drive' and "independent rear suspension"......
i really don't know what that post is supposed to mean

i was obviously talking about the IRS architecture since the subject was wheel hop.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
0 to 60 is all torque and torque multiplication (grearing). Cars like the mustang can hit 60 in 4.9 but do not run low 13's. It all depends............
kinda. that's just what acceleration is. it can be 0-100, 0-10000, it's always going to be torque multiplication.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 AM

i really don't know what that post is supposed to mean
I thought it was pretty clear that he was saying that you were right about what he'd said before, and he's sticking by it.

i was obviously talking about the IRS architecture since the subject was wheel hop.
You were replying to a post that was about more than wheel hop. Anyway, I think he answered that too.

There have been advancements since the Commodore was introduced. I expect the Camaro to benefit from the same sort of updates that are in the new CTS-V. 556hp, no wheel hop.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM

What was that buisness about an automatic clutch in the manual? I would like to think we can boil our $250 rubber thru second and chirp third.

Quick Reply: Zero to 60 in......