2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why no Camaro in Nascar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Why no Camaro in Nascar?

This may have been talked about already but I was just reading on Nascar.com about the new cars that are going to be used in Nascar's Nationwide series:

Ford Mustang
Dodge Challenger
Toyota Camry
Chevy Impala SS

I think chevy is missing an opportunity here.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 AM

I agree. Eventhough the series will be using their version of the COT,where the cars all look the same except for some pillar cosmetics and front end graphics,it would be nice to see the Camaro name plate running in front of the Mustangs,Challengers and Camrays.What could a few Camaro decals cost?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM

First off, the Mustang and Challenger were just confirmed.

If things go well I'd assume the Camaro will follow shortly behind.

Talk about a odd mix of cars though. Camry, Impala, Challenger, Mustang.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Have you seen the proposed abominations for the Nationwide Mustang and Challenger? If you had, you'd see this as a blessing that the Camaro is not being used.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Have you seen the proposed abominations for the Nationwide Mustang and Challenger? If you had, you'd see this as a blessing that the Camaro is not being used.
I agree, and hope they don't use the Camaro. Let the Mustang be this generation's mullet car.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
details?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Buckyinva
Why no Camaro in Nascar?
Because NASCAR sucks.

[/thread]
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/28/f...tionwide-seri/
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
details?
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=693633 (Challenger on p. 2)
Basically the current COT with a different nose grafted on. Ugly!

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=701972 (link to Mustang)
Doesn't look much like a Mustang. I guess that's why "MUSTANG" is plastered across the front bumper.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 AM

I agree that its a good thing that the Camaro is staying away from NASCAR for now. Its not like its the actual car anyway
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM

NASCAR is a freaking joke... and i hope the camaro stays away from it...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM

This may have been talked about already but I was just reading on Nascar.com about the new cars that are going to be used in Nascar's Nationwide series:

Ford Mustang
Dodge Challenger
Toyota Camry
Chevy Impala SS

I think chevy is missing an opportunity here.
In my opinion (and this is an opinion that's backed up with supporting facts) putting a Camaro... or any car... in NASCAR has no payback, and provides no benefits whatsoever towards selling a car, developing new powertrain technology or improving that car's image.

I have my own bias against NASCAR. They call themselves "Stock Cars" when there isn't a single thing stock about them. The cars don't even resemble production cars any more. The rules force every vehicle to be identical, down to the millimeter. Everyone uses the same few engine builders and chassis makers. The focus of the race is on the personalites and zero on the manufacturer. The largest sponsor of a team is what the car's called. And in the rare exceptions (ie: Infineon Raceway here in NorCal) these identical non-competitive, nil manufacturer involvement cars simply go around a circle repetitively in a pack determined by available space till someone crashes or passes the finish line.

Australian Supercar (their NASCAR)

vs. NASCAR

[img]

They stuck with the idea of "STOCK CAR RACING", while NASCAR is simply the old IROC, but with different stickers to pretend each car is from a different manufacturer.

Chevy's not missing an opportunity by skipping NASCAR, if the chose to do it.

They'd be better off promoting the Camaro the way they promoted Solstice (in races that involve the real car), or even drifting (which also involves real cars, and a large young audience.

Last edited by guionM; 07-29-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM

I understand what you are saying but can tell you this. The only reason that I always buy Chevy Vehicles is because of NASCAR. Now I may only be one person but hey. It is also the reason the only beer I drank was Bud for years and the only energy drink I drink now is AMP. My only reason for asking the question was that if Camaro is always lumped together with the mustang and the Challenger why is it not involved. The Camaro needs to go a long way to even come close to the mustang popularity right now. Now I know the month sales may look good for the Camaro but it would need to beat the mustang for several years to match it's popularity. This just may be a way to aid in that. It certainly would not chase people away.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Now I know the month sales may look good for the Camaro but it would need to beat the mustang for several years to match it's popularity. This just may be a way to aid in that. It certainly would not chase people away.
I'd say that the Camaro currently is just as popular as the Mustang right now. Think of all of the posts where people have talked about being swarmed by people when they take their cars out. At the car shows I've gone to the attention the 2010 Mustang is getting isn't even comparable to what the Camaro is receiving.

And it isn't too likely, but I could see some people being put off by having Camaro in NASCAR. The car is already attributed with being a "mullet-mobile," fairly or unfairly, but I think the F5 has a chance to shake that stereotype. I also think that the cost to do so, however small, would be better directed towards other means of promoting the car. The NASCAR sector is already very loyal to domestic vehicles, so why not try and target another area and further increase growth.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM

^yepyep. and isnt chevy trying to get people who look at infinity G coupes ?

Quick Reply: Why no Camaro in Nascar?