2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why can't dealers get their information straight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 02:59 AM

Why can't dealers get their information straight?

In almost every thread there are people complaining about their dealers having bad or no information on the Camaro. How is this possible? Three pictures of the orange Camaro get leaked, and within hours, thousands of Camaro fans have seen them. At the same time, some dealers apparently don't even know what colors are being offered. Exactly how hard is it for Chevy/GM to pass information to their dealers? A simple forum like this one that all dealerships were required to register for and log onto every morning sounds pretty simple.

Furthermore, why aren't the dealerships paying attention to GM's press releases? Almost all the information that we get is from a press release or is confirmed by a press release shortly after we hear it. Wouldn't a properly run business want to know as much about it's products and future products as possible to help sales? The dealerships that everyone is complaining about have to be trying to avoid the information.

I know that Chevy/GM have their IDL or whatever, but I've heard of two broadcasts on it about the Camaro so far, and one is upcoming. Since some dealers still don't know the information from the first one, it is obviously an inefficient system. There has to be an easier way of getting a video to the dealers. Like the internet maybe? If they're worried about information security, well, the dealers leak **** anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just tired of all the complaining and think that Chevy/GM needs to step up with some leadership.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

It has always been that way. We are enthusiasts, we live and breathe the car. They sell whatever they can sell. From Hummers to Aveos.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:38 AM

They don't even have their info straight on cars that have been on sale for years, no surprise they know nothing about a car they can't amek money on yet. There is a place where all the info on the Camaro is posted and the dealers have a code to get into (that is where the dealer brochure got leaked from) but GM can't force the salesmen to read it.

Use it to your advantage, you can bring a cocky salesman down pretty quick if you correct his BS a couple times. (I did that the other day when the a salesman tried to explain to me that the Camaro was a limited edition and there would be a hefty mark up.)
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM

I test drove a G8 GT a few weeks back the sales mgr. didn't even know about the upcoming GXP model.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM

An upcoming GXP model can't be sold today, an on-the-lot GT can. Any time you place an order, or put a deposit for an upcoming car, there is an opportunity to back out of the sale. Dealers are only guaranteed their money once you sign the papers and drive away. And thats their one and only concern.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
It has always been that way. We are enthusiasts, we live and breathe the car. They sell whatever they can sell. From Hummers to Aveos.
Exactly, we are a very small part of the buying public. It's just another car
for most of them that work there.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 AM

Wecome to the Lunatic Fringe Club. We will always know more than the dealer
Old 09-26-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by msgZ28
In almost every thread there are people complaining about their dealers having bad or no information on the Camaro. How is this possible? Three pictures of the orange Camaro get leaked, and within hours, thousands of Camaro fans have seen them. At the same time, some dealers apparently don't even know what colors are being offered. Exactly how hard is it for Chevy/GM to pass information to their dealers? A simple forum like this one that all dealerships were required to register for and log onto every morning sounds pretty simple.

Furthermore, why aren't the dealerships paying attention to GM's press releases? Almost all the information that we get is from a press release or is confirmed by a press release shortly after we hear it. Wouldn't a properly run business want to know as much about it's products and future products as possible to help sales? The dealerships that everyone is complaining about have to be trying to avoid the information.

I know that Chevy/GM have their IDL or whatever, but I've heard of two broadcasts on it about the Camaro so far, and one is upcoming. Since some dealers still don't know the information from the first one, it is obviously an inefficient system. There has to be an easier way of getting a video to the dealers. Like the internet maybe? If they're worried about information security, well, the dealers leak **** anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just tired of all the complaining and think that Chevy/GM needs to step up with some leadership.
I have been trying to get answers from about 7 or 8 local Chevy dealers in the Charlotte, NC area the past few days and like you have been getting extremely frustrated. Nobody knows anything and they are not even putting an effort to earn my business. After the 5th or 6th dealer, I finally found one that actually knows almost as much as we do here on this forum, and actually wants to work with me. They are selling them for MSRP. I inquired about what they thought their allocation will be and they stated probably around 20 or so, but obviously not 100% sure at least until the 13th. They stated that they should be able to obtain one by March, but either way not having the very first one is always the best thing. Price and service are definitely important. We will see what happens, but at least there are some dealers that actually care about earning their customers, as opposed to the other way around when they think that they are doing you a favor.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Its layerd,but remember that these people really dont care outside of how much its going to make them.
Id say the majority of them dont care too much about cars.
They arent going to want to talk about a future car cause it doesnt put money in thier pocket now.
They arent going to go out of thier way to find out about any future car either unless they can order you one.
So in the end...and this goes for ever car purchase...do your homework first, then go into the dealer and demand what you want.
The more control you have over the sale, the better deal you will get.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
I have been trying to get answers from about 7 or 8 local Chevy dealers in the Charlotte, NC area the past few days and like you have been getting extremely frustrated. Nobody knows anything and they are not even putting an effort to earn my business. After the 5th or 6th dealer, I finally found one that actually knows almost as much as we do here on this forum, and actually wants to work with me. They are selling them for MSRP. I inquired about what they thought their allocation will be and they stated probably around 20 or so, but obviously not 100% sure at least until the 13th. They stated that they should be able to obtain one by March, but either way not having the very first one is always the best thing. Price and service are definitely important. We will see what happens, but at least there are some dealers that actually care about earning their customers, as opposed to the other way around when they think that they are doing you a favor.

SSPORT10, what dealers have you spoken to? I live in Denver, NC.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 AM

I'm not a salesman but i have sat through an early IDL and all the info that was put in there was negated a week later in press releases and info leaked on fan sites. Dealers can't always help it when they are given bad info, and very few care enough to come on to fan sites like this.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 PM

In my experience the worst place to go for any factual information is the dealership. Occasionally you run accross an actual enthusist that knows as much or more than you do. The problem is the dealership does not employ car guys they are salesman and they don't care about the product that will be here in a month or a week they only care about selling the car that is on their lot at the time.

I always know far more about the car I am going to buy then the person trying to sell it to me. When I bought my GTO the salesman tried telling some BS about the car and I just asked him to save his energy for the actual negotation. He laughed because we both knew he was full of BS. All I need the dealer for is to negotiate a price and give me the keys.

Luckily the car guys are in the back at the service department where it counts.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Okay, everyone's saying, "well, they're salesmen, not car people." So what? If I was selling something, I would want to know at least the basics about the product so that I could then, you know, sell it (like with Pruettfan's GTO). I understand that not every salesman is going to know every upcoming product, but surely a manager or someone does know about future products. How else do they plan future operations and commercials and stuff. It's not like there's 50 new products a week for a Chevy dealer. Is it so much to ask that one person keeps tabs on new stuff and then all calls/visits about the Camaro or what have you can get referred to him? I've never run a business, let alone a car dealership, so maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like common sense.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 PM

i work at a chevy/caddy/pontiac/buick dealer, we have not even received any information on the new camaro yet to put out. Im the only "car" guy there, most dont even know what a ls1/ls2 etc even are, so yea your correct in saying that most dealers just don't know, the only reason i know abnout the new camaro is because iv been following it.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

When the '05 Mustang came out, the local Ford dealer had a GT on the lot in yellow with black stripes. My father-in-law, who has a 1970 Buick GSX in the same color scheme, drove said car to said dealership just so that he could see how they looked together.

As he pulled up, a saleswoman came up and asked if he wanted to trade it in on a new Mustang. He, along with several salesmen who were standing back and watching, laughed right at her.

I understand why it is the way it is, but I still think it's sad that the people who sell cars usually aren't enthusiastic about them.

Quick Reply: Why can't dealers get their information straight?