2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the camaro so damn heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
We have a guy who autox's his G8 in Fstock and he is an easy 3 seconds a lap behind the fourth gens, and the Shelby GT's are even further ahead.
Don't forget that the driver is a HUGE variable in any race. You only have one G8 to compare, so it's best not to draw any conclusions based on that information.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tigger#76
So your point was that there were only two Mustangs listed at all, and only one of the current generation? That doesn't make any sense. I stand by my comment that the first link you posted does not support your argument as it doesn't have enough data to support any argument about Mustang GT versus Mustang GT 500.
I have no idea what links you are looking at or how you can miss my point so badly.

I count nine "streetable class" (Stock and SP) Mustangs entered in the first link (Pro Solo).
I count thirty-six in the second link (Nats)

A lot of these are fairly new, recently purchased, current gen cars. A lot of them were bought because they are the cars to have. The GT500 is not found in the results because it is NOT the car to have.

My point is that the extra weight hinders that car. These guys want to win and if the GT500 was superior IT would be the model being purchased. *shrug* Believe what you wish.

Originally Posted by Tigger#76
I'm also not invested enough in this discussion to bother with digging up all of the magazine comparos I've read that say the production GT500 out performs the production GT in every category tested, with lap times, slalom times, quarter mile times, etc, to back up what they say. In fact, Edmunds has an article about all of the modifications they had to make to the production GT in order to best a GT 500 in cornering (it involved wheels, tires, springs, dampers, sway bars, and rear end links).

My questions were more aimed at understanding why guionM's statement comparing a production Mustang GT with a production Mustang GT 500 was countered with an argument that race prepped cars proved the production car statement to be wrong.
I couldn't care less what the magazines say. I'm interested in real world results.

"Race prepped" doesn't mean a thing in Stock class with regard to our comparison making. The allowances are so minimal that everyone with the same type of car runs basically the same tires and modifications. Therefore we can still use this as a useful comparison. Also, almost everyone of them really are daily drivers since the modifications are so limited. Having claimed that you have participated in autocrosses I would think you'd know that.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
The only fallacy results from your reluctance to follow your own logic argument through to the end. Use logic to answer the following question.... Why does GM wish it was lighter?

Logically, if they wish it was lighter then it follows that they are at best unsatisfied with the current condition.
I completely disagree. I'm satisfied with my bank account balance, but wish it were higher.
Wishes do not necessarily imply dissatisfaction. In addition, satisfaction is not a binary attribute. There is not some magic number where I would be satisfied with my account balance and not want it to be any higher and 1 cent less would dissatisfied.

I've been told here repeatedly that weight doesn't matter as much as the "*****" may think. I've been told here repeatedly that weight is not a concern for anyone but those nitpickers. Funny, but as time passes the weight concern crowd seems to be much more in step with what GM wanted to accomplish with this car than those on the other side of the argument.
Okay. I've not said that weight doesn't matter or that weight is not a concern. Scott himself has said many times that weight is a big concern, and I never saw anyone disagree with him. So this looks like a straw man to me. If someone told you that, you'll have to take it up with them. I'm not going to try to defend a ridiculous claim like that.

What I have said is that all cars have gotten heavier due to regulatory and market requirements, and the Camaro is not immune to those. That is a far cry from saying it doesn't matter.

Nope. I believe he feels as I and many others feel. After owning several Camaros and enjoying them thoroughly, they have lost us with the new car.

It's sad and unfortunate but it is what it is.
Whatever. I suppose the Volkswagen fan who feels like you won't buy a new GTI either, because it's 300 pounds heavier than the one from the mid 90s. Substitute any make and model and repeat. Miata. Mustang. Crown Vic. Dodge Ram. BMW 328i. Etc. ad infinitum

What's unrealistic is to expect that Camaro could somehow avoid the weight gain that everyone else is suffering from.

I am sorry that I am reminded the Cobalt SS is an "amazing" performer when I compare track times between it and the Camaro. I find it odd that we are criticized for expecting to be amazed by the new Camaro when it is perfectly acceptable to be amazed by an econobox.

I am sorry that I expect a car that, in my opinion, is a bit farther up the food chain and has a history far more worthy of respect than a Cobalt to set new standards in Camaro performance with its amazing abilities.
What I read (and someone else posted it earlier in this forum) is that the Camaro lap time was for tuning and not an attempt to set best lap time. On the other hand, I thought the Cobalt SS time was an attempt to set the minimum time. Maybe C&D will do a lightning lap this year with the Cobalt SS and Camaro SS. Unfortunately, I don't see Chevy going back with a production car to set the best time, as it'd probably be too expensive.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
So this looks like a straw man to me. If someone told you that, you'll have to take it up with them. I'm not going to try to defend a ridiculous claim like that.
It was a general statement aimed at those who have made such claims within this thread, not you.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 01-07-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM

I have heard some GM people comment on the weight. I can't remember the exact words, but they were something to the effect of "The weight is the price we have to pay to be competetive in other areas of the car". Specifically things like the rear diff and crash ratings I would guess. Those are items that are improved to best in class at the tradeoff of increased mass. It is all about tradeoffs.

-Geoff
Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I have heard some GM people comment on the weight. I can't remember the exact words, but they were something to the effect of "The weight is the price we have to pay to be competetive in other areas of the car". Specifically things like the rear diff and crash ratings I would guess. Those are items that are improved to best in class at the tradeoff of increased mass. It is all about tradeoffs.

-Geoff
I do remember Scott mentioning that he was tired of hearing about diff failures on the old Camaro and that the new diff was a lot tougher and heavier.

The new Camaro has stability control, which means you need a bunch of sensors and wiring, and that adds weight. It's got side and head airbags. Much more rigid unibody. Once again, you can say the same thing about nearly every new car model.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM

It was a general statement aimed at those who have made such claims within this thread, not you.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Don't forget that the driver is a HUGE variable in any race. You only have one G8 to compare, so it's best not to draw any conclusions based on that information.
I agree totally and wish I could have got my hands on that G8, but I was watching the way car was reacting on course. For such a big car I was very impressed, not much sway, seemed very balanced with a little bit of push, but when the 4th gen followed up the G8, it is obvious to me the 4th gen was a much better handling car.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM

The 2010 GT500 and the Camaro SS will probably be more at home at the drag strip than the road course. --Haven't we discussed this before Korry.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM

I agree totally and wish I could have got my hands on that G8, but I was watching the way car was reacting on course. For such a big car I was very impressed, not much sway, seemed very balanced with a little bit of push, but when the 4th gen followed up the G8, it is obvious to me the 4th gen was a much better handling car.
Actually, the G8 GT is a pretty nice piece. Very well balanced. But at the risk of having Guy come in and carpet bomb this thread with a 2,000 word post, which I don't have the energy to read - I'd honestly rank my CTS in higher league, when it comes to handling.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

but when the 4th gen followed up the G8, it is obvious to me the 4th gen was a much better handling car.
Do you know what kind of tires each car had? Are you sure that the 4th gen was stock?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Several times Scott has stated that the 4th gen could take a Corvette (C5 I think) on a road course, in spite of being a bit heavier. So I'd have no reason to doubt someone who told me that an F4 with the right tires and power would be faster than an F5 with similar tires (though on larger wheels!) on a smooth road course.

I've always heard that on a smooth course, a live axle is just as good as IRS.

My 2002 handles really well as long as the road isn't too bumpy.

Someone needs to take their mildly modified F4 to the Nurburgring and see what lap time they can get. I nominate Korry
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM

Not without some sort of uber NASCAR cage.

I've watched enough in car video of that track to know it would scare the pee out of me with all those blind corners.

*EDIT* You're also right on the solid axle / smooth surface thing. In fact, on a very smooth surface, the solid axle is probably better since there are no camber curve control issues. Problem is, we don't all drive on billards tables do we?

Last edited by Chewbacca; 01-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Not without some sort of uber NASCAR cage.

I've watched enough in car video of that track to know it would scare the pee out of me with all those blind corners.

*EDIT* You're also right on the solid axle / smooth surface thing. In fact, on a very smooth surface, the solid axle is probably better since there are no camber curve control issues. Problem is, we don't all drive on billards tables do we?
Especially not when you live in a state that's perpetually broke!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
Especially not when you live in a state that's perpetually broke!
It's OK the new administration is sending us money they got from China so we can pay for the new bullitt train. Then who needs roads or cars...

Quick Reply: Why is the camaro so damn heavy?