2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was it that said....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Who was it that said....

"the giant sucking sound you hear is all the Camaro hold outs exiting the building" ? That was a few mos ago when the Shelby GT500 was unveiled.

Well, yesterday it and the Challenger both were relative snoozers compared to the main event.

I was standing there in the aftermath yesterday @ Cobo hall, looking around at the sea of press swarming around the car, thinking:

"That giant sucking sound you hear is all the 'who gives a crap' being sucked out of the Challenger and Mustang."

GM: BUILD THIS CAR, SOON!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Who was it that said....

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=47
Old 01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

That sucking sound is now replaced by the vacuum created by the people who have to open their mouths to eat their words.

They can keep sucking.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421789
Old 01-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Old 01-10-2006, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SMUJeremy
I think WERM would like to use the butter for the crow he is eating now.
I'm not eating any crow until they a) Announce the curb weight and b) Show the production version. Put the crow back into the freezer for 3 years until the real car gets here.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
I'm not eating any crow until they a) Announce the curb weight and b) Show the production version. Put the crow back into the freezer for 3 years until the real car gets here.
Curb weights and production versions aside, even you can admit it didn't take much for people to get "sucked back" into Camaro interest. This concept is everywhere...front page of major newspapers....mainstream TV and radio news outlets...enthusiast sites of all kinds....it has gotten a pretty overwhelming response (it is overshadowing the release of a 475 HP Mustang for goodness sake.)

Heck even people I work with who I didn't think had any interest in cars at all were coming up to me asking if I had seen the concept (they do know about my SS).

Yeah, no production promises yet...but it has made a lot of people think twice before "leaving the building".
Old 01-11-2006, 08:10 AM

My cousin (who years ago used to drive a Mustang just to spite me) called me and asked if I had seen the new Camaro. He wanted to go buy one and asked when they would be coming out. This car is generating a TON of excitement.

It's too bad that GM is going to take 6 months to decide whether to make it and then probably 24 - 36 months to git'er' dun. I wonder if the buzz will still be there if / when it hits dealer lots.

My wife was trying to convince me that I had outgrown Camaros. (Maybe she's sick of seeing three Camaros in the driveway???) She's wrong.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 AM

The amount of attention it got at the show was incredible. More than I saw for anything Mustang related when the '05 came out. Dodge should have waited to reveal the Challenger so it might have gotten better press, b/c I didn't hear crap about it at any point. The giant sucking sound was everyone gasping in awe!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
I wonder if the buzz will still be there if / when it hits dealer lots.
I'm not sure what it was like in your part of the country... although it seemed this area was in an absolute frenzy to get a glimse of the new stang at the dealership. A good friend of mine was really interested in getting one. I went down to the dealer with him (driving the SS just to see what the ford guys would do ) and saw a line about 1/2 a block long just waiting to take a few laps around the parking lot in the v6 version.

Maybe it's just because I'm more of a Chevy guy, but I think this new Camaro is creating much more of a buzz than the unvieling of the stang concept. I'm hoping that the release of the production car will be just as talked about.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:23 AM

b) Show the production version. Put the crow back into the freezer for 3 years until the real car gets here.
You got that right.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 AM

The Mustang design that we have right now has been around for about a year and a half now - and the concept was seen long before that. It goes without saying that an all new car with the name "Camaro" should indeed garner much, much more attention than what amounts to an upgraded Mustang (the GT500).
Old 01-11-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
The Mustang design that we have right now has been around for about a year and a half now - and the concept was seen long before that.
The thing is, nobody outside of internet forums like this knew the Camaro concept was coming, let alone all the information leading up to it...as far as the general public knew, the Camaro's dead (and probably thinking it had been gone for 10 years now ). This concept caught the mainstream media and casual observers completely off guard. That has certainly helped the "wow" factor.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Its ganna be nice and cold then.......Scott has some different sause choices for ya he talked about on the last podcast.....might want to check those out
Old 01-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Who cares about curb weight? Its smaller than the Mustang, so we know it won't be the pig of the class.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
The thing is, nobody outside of internet forums like this knew the Camaro concept was coming, let alone all the information leading up to it...as far as the general public knew, the Camaro's dead (and probably thinking it had been gone for 10 years now ). This concept caught the mainstream media and casual observers completely off guard. That has certainly helped the "wow" factor.
I'm sorry, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think the Camaro concept caught the "mainstream media" off guard. Further, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of "casual observers" don't even know it was cancelled.

Quick Reply: Who was it that said....