2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has sold their car already for the 5th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:49 PM

Who has sold their car already for the 5th gen?

Who here has already sold their car in anticipation of the 5th gen?

I've been tossing this idea around for months...over a year. I had some 17 yr olds make some generous offers but I couldn't bear the thought of seeing it wrapped around a telephone pole.

But yesterday I had an elderly gentleman (60) make me a very interesting offer. I'd be stupid not to take it but at the same time I'm finding it very hard to part with my car since I'm done modding it and I'm in love with it.

But if I don't sell it I will be waiting a looooong time before I can afford the 5th gen.

But what if the interior on the 5th gen sucks? Or it has some other achilles heel like the LT1's opti? (I installed an LTCC).

This situation is driving me bonkers.

Mods: If this belongs in the Lounge feel free to move it.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

I did. I also did it to look for a new Camaro project in the meantime, but if I don't find one between my old one and the 2009, no big deal.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:23 PM

I haven't, but I have a buyer lined up for my Colorado...my little brother agreed to pay 1K over blue book for my truck...which is reasonable I think since it has 7K in mods done to it, not including any labor
Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 PM

You could do what I did and buy a GTO in the meantime.

It would make a great transition car in preparation to that awesome F5 chasis.

Also, you could enjoy modding that big heavy sled in the meantime!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 PM

GTOs aren't allowed in Canada because they don't meet our stricter frontal crash safety standards.

Maybe I'll put headers and N2O on my Pathfinder.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM

I am not really in any type of similar situation or anything, but my opinion would be to keep your current car if you love it and wait at the very least until you get a chance to see the interior of the 5th gen if that is the make it or break it point for you.

I think the answer would be a lot more obvious if you didn't have any kind of sentimental attachment to the car, but why get rid of a car you love if you don't have to? I guarantee you there will be someone willing to buy that car in a year's time.

That is just my 2 cents if I were in your shoes.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:55 PM

I sold my Firebird just about 3 weeks ago, that was a very sad day. I sold it because I bought a 03 G35 coupe. I got married in Oct. and my wife and I decided we couldn't afford to have two cars, but I still wanted a car that was to drive, but she didn't want to drive my Firebird. Well the G35 is a really nice car, but it's no Firebird, needless to say if I can afford it I'll be buying a new Camaro when they come out.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM

I haven't yet but it's probably going up for sale here in a week or so. Very sad to get rid of it but I need the $$ now (daughter getting married) and I figure I'll get more for it now than in a year, then hopefully I can replace it with a 5th gen. when the time comes.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:50 PM

I don’t think I plan to sell mine.

My 2000 GTP has just fewer than 107k on the odometer and is in pretty good condition. The body has a few dents on it but the interior is very clean and it runs mechanically perfect. I'll also have it paid off in about 6 months I think.

With my short drive to work I’m willing to bet I could get another 4 or 5 years out of my Grand Prix if I keep up the maintenance. It’s a great daily driver and wouldn’t be worth trading in.

Dealer Trade in is prob less than $4000 and a private party sell would be much more than $5000. I’m just ganna drive this car till the wheels fall off

Furthermore, if I’m going to drop nearly 35 grand, I’d rather have my brand new Camaro for my weekend car. Keep it all nice and pretty

And if the GTP holds up as a daily I might have some extra cash laying around for that LT1 project car I've always wanted to sit next to the 5th gen.

Last edited by stars1010; 03-21-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Casull
I am not really in any type of similar situation or anything, but my opinion would be to keep your current car if you love it and wait at the very least until you get a chance to see the interior of the 5th gen if that is the make it or break it point for you.

I think the answer would be a lot more obvious if you didn't have any kind of sentimental attachment to the car, but why get rid of a car you love if you don't have to? I guarantee you there will be someone willing to buy that car in a year's time.

That is just my 2 cents if I were in your shoes.

I'm sure I could find a buyer for it in a year but not at the price I want. F-bodies in Canada hold their value a lot better than ones in the States.

AutoTrader is full of 98-2002 LS1 Fbodies going from $16000-$35,000 cdn with 60-100K miles on them.

LT1s are going for $9000-$20,000 cdn. with similar mileage.

Lets just say I'm being offered a good LS1 rate for my car.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Well you could look at it this way. You car obviously wont appreciate over the next few years. However the cash invested from you selling your car would.

Thus the most financially sound decision would be to sell and invest.

Keeping my GTP is almost a completely a financial decision.

When I finish school in May I’ll be taking a job where I could easily go pick up an ’04 or ’05 GTO within a year.

However I think going about $17k into debt with a GTO purchase, then going another 35k further into debt with the purchase of the new Camaro would not be a good choice compared to just putting a few thousand aside for Grand Prix repairs.

I know the Camaro will put me into a lot of debt, but I see no point in almost doubling it when my daily driver is just fine.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
F-bodies in Canada hold their value a lot better than ones in the States.

AutoTrader is full of 98-2002 LS1 Fbodies going from $16000-$35,000 cdn with 60-100K miles on them.
Wow, you ain't kiddin' about Canuck F-Bodies holding their value!

I've been mulling over whether or not I should sell mine....but with 52,xxx miles on it I'd only expect to get $14,000-$15,000 US, honestly.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:23 PM

Here are some samples:

http://canadatrader.com/result/resul...cedOnly=false#

http://canadatrader.com/result/detai...2&pgno=1&srt=1

http://canadatrader.com/result/detai...5&pgno=1&srt=1

http://canadatrader.com/result/detai...9&pgno=1&srt=1

Cdn prices and mileage in KMs.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Well you could look at it this way. You car obviously wont appreciate over the next few years. However the cash invested from you selling your car would.

Thus the most financially sound decision would be to sell and invest.
Yup. Cars only depreciate.

Since I've taken about all the depreciation on my 93, and invested more than it is worth (bad financial decision - stupid sentiments!) I will keep it.

Otherwise...Sell! Sell! SELL!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:50 PM

Even if I do end up getting a 5th gen, I still would keep my current car. Afterall, the money I put in it in aftermarket parts probably outweighs what I bought it for by now.

Quick Reply: Who has sold their car already for the 5th gen?