2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

When does the "All Corvettes are Red" book for the 5th Gen come out?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 PM

When does the "All Corvettes are Red" book for the 5th Gen come out?

I thought one of the regulars here was working on it...

I've got my credit card ready!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 AM

There is one book out already about Camaro's develpment calledf "Camaro, a legend reborn" that talks about development.

Very good book,,,, and I'm not just saying that because Charlie and I are in the background on page 51 and alot of people more than a little well known on Camaro websites are in the "disciple" pictures.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
There is one book out already about Camaro's develpment calledf "Camaro, a legend reborn" that talks about development.

Very good book,,,, and I'm not just saying that because Charlie and I are in the background on page 51 and alot of people more than a little well known on Camaro websites are in the "disciple" pictures.

Really? I've got to check that out.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM

A Legend Reborn is good, but it's a coffee table book. It is lacking in the details and personalities from All Corvettes are Red, though.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks...I'll go buy it online right now.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by ronssito
Thanks...I'll go buy it online right now.
*Cough*

Help a guy out...
https://www.camaroz28.com/amazon/

Yes, Camaro: A Legend Reborn is a very good book but All Corvettes are Red really digs deep. Camaro: A Legend Reborn doesn't quite have enough reach by comparison.

(Did anyone who read ACAR get that last line?)
Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Is anybody working on an "All Corvettes Are Red" kind of book for the Camaro?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 PM

I think we would have heard by now if any book like "All Corvettes are Red" for the Camaro was in the works. Camaro: A Legand Reborn is a great book with much better pictures but not nearly as deep into the day to day development battles and struggles that James Schefter got into for ACAR.

I know the idea was much talked about here right after the Camaro concept car came out and later in 2006 when it was given the green light for production. I'm just not sure anyone was given the clearance that James Schefter got for ACAR.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Is anybody working on an "All Corvettes Are Red" kind of book for the Camaro?
Scott has mentioned doing a book after he retires. The last I heard he hasn't retired yet, so I imagine any book is several years down the road. (At least I hope that's the case.)
Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 PM

I have it, and yes the two of you guys are in it. I looked hard to see if I could see my ugg-mug, but no dice.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD

(Did anyone who read ACAR get that last line?)
Is that a Chuck Jordanism?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Is that a Chuck Jordanism?
It was him that always said the design didn't have enough reach, right?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 AM

I'm pretty sure it was him. He was portrayed as an old GM relic that gave out vague criticisms to his design team. I think he was always holding competitions between the studios as well. I believe he even makes an appearance in On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
It was him that always said the design didn't have enough reach, right?
Chuck Jordan wasn't a bad head designer.

Consider that head designers rarely pick up the pens and do design themselves, but instead influence the direction of thier design studios.

Chuck Jordan's proddings to his staff to "reach" more in their designs can be said said to have created some very futuristic designs... even after GM's nortorious "Design Clinics" smoothed them out.

The 4th gen Camaro, GM's "TransVans", even the Caprice Classic might be prime (but a bit over the top) examples of Chuck Jordan'd reign. But there were also some actually good looking rides like the first born again Monte Carlos, Buick's returned Roadmaster, 90s era Cavaliers & Grand Prixs, and the 90s era Grand Ams which wound up one of the country's best selling cars by the late 90s.

By the end of the 90s start of this decade, GM pretty much neutered their design team's creations, and a good argument can be made that GM's design also lost it's way.

Jordan's stuff tends to be a bit out there next to Trevor Creed & J. Mays (both who are exceptional at creating attention grabbing, modern designs without going off the deep end), but I feel it's like choosing whos better between a Pacasso and a Van Gogh. It's a matter of taste.

Ford's new design chief, Moray Callum, IMHO doesn't quite have the star power that GM and Chrysler's Ed Welburn and Ralph Giles (Mays is Ford's "Chief Creative Officer" now). But as the guy most responsible for the design of the current crop of Mazda, he may be another Chuck Jordan creating a batch of cars that look futuristic, or have..... "reach".
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Chuck Jordan wasn't a bad head designer.

Consider that head designers rarely pick up the pens and do design themselves, but instead influence the direction of thier design studios.

Chuck Jordan's proddings to his staff to "reach" more in their designs can be said said to have created some very futuristic designs... even after GM's nortorious "Design Clinics" smoothed them out.

The 4th gen Camaro, GM's "TransVans", even the Caprice Classic might be prime (but a bit over the top) examples of Chuck Jordan'd reign. But there were also some actually good looking rides like the first born again Monte Carlos, Buick's returned Roadmaster, 90s era Cavaliers & Grand Prixs, and the 90s era Grand Ams which wound up one of the country's best selling cars by the late 90s.

By the end of the 90s start of this decade, GM pretty much neutered their design team's creations, and a good argument can be made that GM's design also lost it's way.

Jordan's stuff tends to be a bit out there next to Trevor Creed & J. Mays (both who are exceptional at creating attention grabbing, modern designs without going off the deep end), but I feel it's like choosing whos better between a Pacasso and a Van Gogh. It's a matter of taste.

Ford's new design chief, Moray Callum, IMHO doesn't quite have the star power that GM and Chrysler's Ed Welburn and Ralph Giles (Mays is Ford's "Chief Creative Officer" now). But as the guy most responsible for the design of the current crop of Mazda, he may be another Chuck Jordan creating a batch of cars that look futuristic, or have..... "reach".
Moray Callum may not have the star power, but his brother Ian certainly does. I wish GM could pry him away from Jaguar.