2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will have to change to make it production?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM

What will have to change to make it production?

What items do you think will have to be changed/added/removed to make the concept a production vehicle? Here's a few I notice right away, in no particular order:

1. Wheels (18's or 19's possibly, but not 21's or 22's)
2. Some kind of bumpers
3. Marker lights/signals (almost invisible on the concept, will have to be larger)
4. Interior (low mounted gauges might be retro, but not very practical)
5. Mirrors you can actually use

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept and would take it as is, but I just see these as things that will have to be changed to make it a production model.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Re: What will have to change to make it production?

Gas cap relocation?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Get rid of the gills, and make the hood scoop optional. Make it T-top friendly. Keep the old, impractical speed and tach, but put in a HUD.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 PM

Don't change a THING. It's perfect.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 PM

2. Some kind of bumpers
Why is that a necessity?? C5/C6 had no bumpers, other than a bumper shape in the rear the third and fourth gens didn't have outer bumpers. I'm personally hoping for no outer changes there as that will really hose the lines... Surely this thing is made to have inner bumper/crush zones or whatever and nothing exterior wise similar to a Corvette...
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 PM

gauages will need to be moved up, or some kind of light on the dash that will tell you to glance down at the guages.

and marker lights will prbly have to be added to make it "legal"
Old 01-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Unless it has read view camera, the C piller is way to big. Safety issue. No observable turn signal. Don't think the top indent will make it. Not nescessary and adds cost. I don't see how anyone could make a car today without a Nav. center/screen.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM

bigger side windows. probably feel like I am sitting in a gun turret. Narrower--no reason to have it so wide. Alot wider then most 4 doors, I might add
Old 01-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Honestly, I would think, the least as possible...

I realize this may put a dent into mass appeal, and increase price..

But honestly, GM needs to make this a bold vehicle. A lot of non car ethusiasts I've talked to (your avg sedan driver), thinks the whole musclecar concept is rediculous anyways. So I say forget about making a car like this pratical. Just make it..

I'm thinking maybe even along the general though process on how the SSR came into production. a niche vehicle.. Especially since having such aggressive styling would limit mass appeal (which IMO, for this car is a good thing) Except this time, its bite should be as bad as its bark... not simply a confusing roadster/pickup/convert combo that had people scratching their heads..

Yea, this would totally break the away from the formula of having a Camaro affordable, since we're probably talking about mid $30's if not in the $40k (like the SSR) But I firmly believe, you can have a more expensive car, that still brings good value.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 PM

5 seater
Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 PM

Ken, I agree. GM has to keep this concept bold once produced. Look how well Chrystler/Dodge did with the bold new design of the Prowler, PT Cruiser, Crossfire, Magnum, Charger & the 300. Mustangs are selling really well also. GM now has the hot new Solstice to compete with the boring unchanged Miata. The way I see it GM needs to continue down the path it has created with Solstice and follow though to this bold Camaro concept. Obvioulsy the mirrors need to be larger, the turn singles may also need to be larger, and I don't see the interior making it to final production without a space for radio/navigation, etc. But these bold, modern details like the gas cap and guage cluster take this car a step further (I haven't decided if I like the center console cluster, but the '67 style dash looks nice). What we've only recently seen from automakers in their designs is something the industry has been missing for decades.