2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM
F-D

What Weight Reduction

What weight reduction?

Nice start... they used their best engine the 427ci LS7, Corvette ZR1style wheels and composite brakes. But they only removed 100 lbs from this flying brick, getting the weight down to a still massive 3,900 lbs by deleting the air conditioning and the stereo system, and the carpet lining in the trunk. Now you'll have to pay $$$ extra on this new highest priced Camaro, to get the basics re-installed for this special order street car. If it was a track car it would have a roll-bar and 5-points belts option like a Porsche RS3?).

Note: Adding tube headers and race cats on my LS7 engineed Z06 'Vette dropped 150 lbs and added 60+hp - a good place to start on the new Z-28.

The new C7 base model 2014 'Vette will probably cost less, have a better power to weight ratio and handle better, and come standard with climate control and a nice sound system. 

hey need to build a smaller lighter car like a BMW M3. World is the all new 6th generation 2015 Camaro will be on an all-new and lighter Zeta platform. So while your taking delivery of your $60,000 Z-28 next year, it will be nearly $10,000 more than the new Vette, and drop 50% in resale value when the new 6th generation is revealed.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Re: What Weight Reduction

I'm so tired of people comparing the 5th gen to an M3.
A V-8 SS Camaro weighs about 3850 lbs. The 2013 M3 weighs just over 3700 lbs.
Not that big of a difference.

And the Z/28 is 100 lbs lighter than an SS, so that puts it about 3750. Which, really, is the same as the M3.

So please, no more "the M3 is a light car and the Camaro should have been more like that, blah, blah, blah".

(BTW, wait till you see how much the next M3 (probably called the M4) weighs. The F36 platform that it will be on has gained in both size & weight, so......)

Last edited by HuJass; 04-15-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM

Oh, and the next Camaro will not be built on the Zeta platform, but more likely a version of the Alpha platform. And probably the CTS version of Alpha.

And the 5th gen Z/28 won't depreciate 50% when the 6th gen comes out. Not gonna happen.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM

i think gm is gonna find issues with the whole package and pricing of the z28....compared to other cars for the same money, its not going to have a big following. at this point im more likely to buy a z06 c7 than a z28....or even a slightly used GTR...
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
And the 5th gen Z/28 won't depreciate 50% when the 6th gen comes out. Not gonna happen.
I have been shopping for used Camaro's for a while and they are holding their value incredibly well. I can't see them dropping all of a sudden either, they stand on their own just fine.

-Geoff
Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by FastDates.com
What weight reduction?

Nice start... they used their best engine the 427ci LS7, Corvette ZR1style wheels and composite brakes. But they only removed 100 lbs from this flying brick, getting the weight down to a still massive 3,900 lbs by deleting the air conditioning and the stereo system, and the carpet lining in the trunk. Now you'll have to pay $$$ extra on this new highest priced Camaro, to get the basics re-installed for this special order street car. If it was a track car it would have a roll-bar and 5-points belts option like a Porsche RS3?).

Note: Adding tube headers and race cats on my LS7 engineed Z06 'Vette dropped 150 lbs and added 60+hp - a good place to start on the new Z-28.

The new C7 base model 2014 'Vette will probably cost less, have a better power to weight ratio and handle better, and come standard with climate control and a nice sound system. 

hey need to build a smaller lighter car like a BMW M3. World is the all new 6th generation 2015 Camaro will be on an all-new and lighter Zeta platform. So while your taking delivery of your $60,000 Z-28 next year, it will be nearly $10,000 more than the new Vette, and drop 50% in resale value when the new 6th generation is revealed.
You have no idea what your talking about and I doubt you own a ZO6.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Don't feed...
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Don't feed...
... the trolls.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by FastDates.com
What weight reduction?

The new C7 base model 2014 'Vette will probably cost less, have a better power to weight ratio and handle better, and come standard with climate control and a nice sound system. %uFEFF

hey need to build a smaller lighter car like a BMW M3. World is the all new 6th generation 2015 Camaro will be on an all-new and lighter Zeta platform. So while your taking delivery%uFEFF of your $60,000 Z-28 next year, it will be nearly $10,000 more than the new Vette, and drop 50% in resale value when the new 6th generation is revealed.
Not sure where you get your information, how knowledgeable you are about cars, or even if you are for real (which I seriously doubt). It appears you are quite unfamiliar with the current Camaro let alone a Z06 Corvette or BMW M3. But even though the word "troll" comes to mind, I'll pretend for now...plus I have too much time on my hands today.

1. The 3900 pound weight you quote is almost 100 pounds too high. The Camaro SS weighs under 3850.

2. The new Z28 is 300 pounds lighter than the ZL1. ZL1 weighs just over 4100 pounds, meaning the Z28 is just over 3800.

3. Using the SS as a basis and claiming "all" GM took off was 100 pounds is extremely silly. The Z28 has most all the ZL1's performance and chassis hardware, including tires, suspension, fluid coolers, etc.. all which add weight over the regular SS.

4. The current BMW M3 is roughly the size of a Chevrolet Cruze (A BMW M3 is 181.7" long vs the Cruze is 181 even). The Cruze weighs just over 3200 pounds. The BMW M3 just over 3700 pounds.... a mere 100 pounds less than the much larger Camaro (a whole foot in length and 3" wider). If there's any car that's a "brick", it's the BMW M3... there isn't many cars on the road that small being also that heavy.

5. I did a quick search on your supposed header and cat swap weight saving. Either there is something you aren't telling us, or your scale's off, or the story is fabricated. The maximum weight you could possibly lose doing this is 50 pounds, and that's because you are using less durable parts. Factory cats and exhausts are made to last pretty much 200,000 miles. That means heavier materials. Your aftermarket cat isn't designed to last that long, and therefore uses less durable (and a shade lighter) materials. Believe me or not, throw the stock manifold and cats on a scale, and you'll understand why the claim of 150 pound savings by replacing them is a little hard to swallow to say the least.

Also ALL performance vehicles with V8s, rear wheel drive, and independent suspension is going to be on the heavy side. Independent rear suspension alone in and of itself adds a minimum of 70 to 100 pounds (more is the norm). High powered V8s tend to have thicker, heavier duty engine components (adds weight), thicker and heavier drivetrain components (more weight), larger cooling systems and more fluid capacity (even more weight), and stronger, tougher chassis, suspensions, and brakes (and yet more weight). That's why a BMW that's the same size as a medium Hyundai weighs within 100 pounds of a fully loaded, track ready, far bigger Camaro Z28.

To get a significantly lighter car, you'd have to sacrifice engine size. A Genesis coupe is made for a V6, and therefore is built to take a lot less punishment than a Camaro, which is why it only weighs about 3350 pounds. A 4 cylinder BRZ is designed for even less power, and why it's only about 2750.

Your Z06 is an exception to the rule but that's because it isn't unibody construction. It's also fiberglass, magnesium, balsa wood, and other materials that's either too expensive for lower priced cars and/or too time consuming and impractical for high volume vehicles.

Finally:...

a) Zeta is what the Camaro is already on. It's going to Alpha, but I wouldn't expect more than a 200 pound reduction unless the car shrinks substantially.

b) That $60K Camaro isn't about to drop it's resale value. The rarity along will hod it's price (see: 2003 Cobra when the '04 Mustangs came out...and yes even the GT500s as well)

c) Anyone who is buying a Corvette isn't in the market for a Camaro. Cars like Corvette actually decide to buy a Corvette before they walk into a showroom (same with a Viper, or any expensive "halo" car). Also, most people who buy the expensive high performance versions of Mustangs & Camaros are enthusiasts of those cars with not much cross shopping.

Last edited by guionM; 04-16-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Fixed the user name to not be an advertisement...just in case...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Fixed the user name to not be an advertisement...just in case...
HA HA I noticed that.

For lack of a better term Ambush Advertising. The acuracy or lack there of is irrelevent.

you should have renamed it

F-ED lol!