2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What If....Camaro Reviewed on Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM

What If....Camaro Reviewed on Top Gear

Top gear seems to be pretty influential on some people's minds (sometimes though with a grain of salt), even American Minds. If Top Gear reviewed the Mustang, I think that they will review the new Camaro when it comes out, especially with all the hype around it. They loved the GTO, I wonder what they will think of the Camaro. I don't think they've ever reviewed it on their long running show. Makes me wonder if they've ever driven an F-body.

Should we be worried or excited when/if they review the car on Top Gear? Do you think the review will have on impact on someone not already set on buying it?

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 09-18-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Re: What If....Camaro Reviewed on Top Gear

As someone who hangs around YouTube way too much, I feel qualified to respond here...

-They've tested the Vauxhaul Monaro (GTO) several times and they've always unanimously loved it.

-They had more good things than bad to say about the CTSV

-They weren't all that cruel to the last mustang they tested... made the obvious jokes about solid axle and handling

-There was another obscure ls1 powered model that they liked...

-The c6 z06 was well recieved

-They tested an old charger and liked it, despite it's point-and-shoot demeanor..

-Basically, they seem to like simple, modern v8s.. particularly LSx's, and they vastly prefer independent rear... with those factors, they generally overlook a sub par interior so long as it's reasonably priced..

GM would have to seriously shoot themselves in the foot for top gear NOT to approve...
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 AM

Talking Re: What If....Camaro Reviewed on Top Gear

Top Gear? Is that the British Show? If so, I saw that guy on the History Channel once, they were going through a history of muscle cars. It was after their reporting of the Corvette. They were walking through a junk yard and came upon a Camaro. It was here (I swear to to the High Heavens) he mentioned that these were the remains of a White Trash Sport Car! I about choked on my coke. He then went on about how you could find them sitting on blocks in front of trailers.
The sad part was later that year we were on vacation in North Georgia and lo and behold I saw about 5 Camaros and Firebirds in various stages of disrepair (spelling?)alongside trailers. They were probably a smart business practice. They were waiting for someone to see and make them an offer for a restore project.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:27 AM

The 5th Gen will almost guaranteed be tested by Top Gear. And I am confident in making the bet that they'll be impressed.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Some might disagree

However I do believe GM should promote it being tested on the Nurburgring and let Top Gear (Fifth Gear as well) take a rip at it. GM should also try to ensure it is in Grand Tourismo and Forza on the Playstaion and XBOX. I would love to drive the 2009 Camaro on a XBOX360 in Forza Motorsports 2 in high definition. That could ease the wait until 2010.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:24 PM

You mean 2009.

I've heard him say stuff like that about the Mustang and America, saying that "America has only a few good country back roads for driving where mainly incest happens" or something... We'll probably hear a whole lot of crap while he's reviewing the new Camaro. Makes me wonder why it was overlooked in the past.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 AM

I think the season after this coming one it will be tested. In about 15 days or so the current season will feature the Challenger, as many know, it's likely that they could get their hands on one for the show after this season + the break before the next. They seem to have the show nearly year round with relatively short breaks, unlike some tv series.

Hammond was the only one excited by it's mention in the previous season, the others will have to be won over, which means it will have to be a hell of a car.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 PM

I watched them test a Ford Lightning. They tore that vehicle a new a-hole. They hated it. They went too far, if you ask me, by tearing up Americans, too. Especially rural ones. I was offended and I'm not even one of those people.
It's kinda like the "family rule". We can tear each other up within the family, but if you're outside the family, don't you dare.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:47 PM

Top Gear is not just the best car show, it's the greatest show on earth. These guys are brutally honest in their car assessments. They completely panned an STi and gave the EVO a huge thumbs up. They don't care who the manufacturer is.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM

Yea, I saw that, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Especially with everything he said. They just don't use pickups there as much, especially not big ones. Is that truck really that great? I never liked the Ford f-series truck much anyways.

Funny thing is, there appears to be much more incest going on in the uk. I keep hearing about the bbc covering it, and having "couples" on there. and how many movies they have in the uk on the subject.

Frankly, I'm not too worried, I think they'll like it.

Anyways, we know Jeremy has a special place in his heart for one 3rd gen....
Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM

they've already talked about it

They've already discussed this. Richard is the open minded one. Jeremy is 'Simon Cowell's big brother' thats not so nice. I love the show tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X1bJjIF8Mg

I'll definately be waiting to see what they say after they drive it, and see what time it gets on their track with 'the Stig' driving it.

Last edited by srtclg1007; 10-19-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 PM

they already have an episode next season where they review he challenger, zr1, and the ctsv at once. last season they made a little mention about it in the news segment. I posted the clip in the video section.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Yes I know, this is an old thread I resurrected, you probably didn't notice the difference between old and new posts.

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I think the season after this coming one it will be tested. In about 15 days or so the current season will feature the Challenger, as many know......

Hammond was the only one excited by it's mention in the previous season, the others will have to be won over, which means it will have to be a hell of a car.
I'm just saying it seems almost positive, timing wise, that we will only have to wait until the season following this coming season to see it reviewed by 3 guys that a lot of people listen to.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:00 PM

there really is no reason that they wouldn't like it. I hope they do, or hope that chevy sends them one to try out soon.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM

I'm just excited to see it shown the way top gear can show it. They really know how to shoot cars - they know where to put the camera (angles, effects, music, etc). Plus they aren't afraid to beat the hell out of it.

Quick Reply: What If....Camaro Reviewed on Top Gear