2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

What happens when speed and alcohol mix...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

What happens when speed and alcohol mix...

Ladies and Gentlemen - my Camaro Comrades.....

I'm sitting at my desk choking back tears -- because we lost another one of our Camaro Comrades --- and it didn't have to happen........

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/county-...ing-crash.html

By all accounts, Marine Greg Courtney was a great guy - a great friend, son, and hero who served in Afghanistan........

None of us will ever know exactly what happened or WHY it happened......but we do know that he was travelling at very high speeds - and that alcohol was involved.

Yes - we can be thankful that there weren't friends in the Camaro with him -

.....and yes, we can be thankful that no other vehicle was involved....

...... and yes, we can be thankful that he didn't strike someone's home........

...........but we lost another fine young Marine - and a Camaro Comrade......and it didn't have to happen.

As you watch the attached videos, you will plainly see that there is no way our engineers can save a person from this type of accident......and just because cars are capable of high speed doesn't mean that you need to try them out 'just to see what it'll do' ........

You've heard me say it thousands of times - and I will CONTINUE to say it -
....and I will continue to BEG you:

Please - DO NOT GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF ANY CAR OR TRUCK AFTER YOU'VE BEEN DRINKING...........

FURTHER - I hear some of you talk about getting your cars up to triple digits on 'back roads' -- and I think what people don't realize is that all it takes is for one dip in the road - one deer to step in front of you - one child on a bicycle to dart out - and a similar accident could occur......and it will never have a happy ending........

Please - think about what you're about to do when the urge hits you to 'see what happens'........it may not end well.....

Someone lost a beloved son - someone lost their best friend -- the Marines lost one of their brave -- and we lost a Camaro Comrade..........

Rest in Peace -- Comrade Greg Courtney......and thank you for your service to our country - but you died way too soon and for the wrong reasons.....

More video:

http://www.wnem.com/story/15480522/h...allegan-county
Old 10-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: What happens when speed and alcohol mix...

Good grief. I am nearly speechless. This is a big loss that unfortunately, could have been avoided.

There is no reason people shouldn't just call someone and just saying "I misjudged my ability and I shouldn't be driving. I need a ride home." It is better than a bad outcome. This is proof.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Ego!! That is why most men will not admit to having too much to drink. I have not been past the point of a buzz in just over 11 years. One time I thought i had a bit more then a buzz, last spring, I a 40 year old father of 3 called my dad to come and pick my wife and I up. Was I drunk, no. Was I really even buzzed, I dont believe so. But, as I said I have 3 kids at home that would like their parents to come home. I would rather deal with jibbing from friends then to have someone go to my house to tell my children their parents are gone.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by bencher
One time I thought i had a bit more then a buzz, last spring, I a 40 year old father of 3 called my dad to come and pick my wife and I up. Was I drunk, no. Was I really even buzzed, I dont believe so. But, as I said I have 3 kids at home that would like their parents to come home. I would rather deal with jibbing from friends then to have someone go to my house to tell my children their parents are gone.
You sir, deserve more respect than you get. No shame for you. I'll bet you didn't get as much criticism as you expected...and I would be surprised if you got any at all. In fact, how many pats on the back did you get for doing the right thing in the face of embarrassment?

I have made a bad decision or two in the past (it only takes once to damage at least one life forever) but I have resolved to never do it again. I just won't roll those dice again. I am smarter than that and these days, everyone everyone else is expected to be as well. There is no excuse any more. There is no "I didn't know I shouldn't do that".

This isn't meant to be any insult to Greg Courtney in this recent situation, my heart goes out to him and everyone around him. However, it illustrates my point. Sad, but very, very true.

I wish he knew how many people like me wish he was around just so I could thank him for serving our country.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Semper Fi, Marine.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
You sir, deserve more respect than you get. No shame for you. I'll bet you didn't get as much criticism as you expected...and I would be surprised if you got any at all. In fact, how many pats on the back did you get for doing the right thing in the face of embarrassment? That is being a man. Being careless with your life AND the life of others isn't being a man. That is being weak and senseless.

As I say to my son, "stupid ain't cool". Not any more. I have made a bad decision or two in the past (it only takes once to damage at least one life forever) but I have resolved to never do it again. I just won't roll those dice again. I am smarter than that and these days, everyone everyone else is expected to be as well. There is no excuse any more. There is no "I didn't know I shouldn't do that".

This isn't mean to be any insult to the victim of this recent situation, my heart goes out to him and everyone around him. However, it illustrates my point. Sad, but very, very true.
Thanks sir. But, been 11 years because I use to do it fairly regularly. What is stupid is I would always stop friends from doing it, but as most of us are we think we can do it. I showed up at 4 in the morning drunk for the last time whem I got home and my wife had the kids packed up and ready to leave. Sobered up in a flash and havent looked back. Now I do love to drink, vodka is choice. Now I buy beer, that I am not a big fan of, and a 6 pack can sit in fridge for couple months till I finish it. Priorities! Im no more of a man then the guy that does drink and drive, I just have different priorities now. I have lost a couple friends do to alcohol and driving, have seen the affect it has on friends and family. Not putting mine through it.
And you are right, didnt get crap from anyone.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM

These are my two youngest to come home to.
Name:  051.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  98.3 KB
Name:  030.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  109.0 KB
And of course the wife..
Name:  110.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  132.0 KB