2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: What concerns YOU more on the Camaro?
How much it weighs.
35.20%
How much it costs.
64.80%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What concerns you more? Cost or weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 AM

What concerns you more? Cost or weight?

There seem to be two main concerns regarding the '10 Camaro. Will it cost too much and will it weigh too much?

Where do you stand?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Cost, by a large margin.

As I plan to purchase a loaded supercharged Z/28, the cheaper it is the better, whereas 100-200 lbs either way doesn't concern me as much.

If the Camaro is priced competitively, I may even consider purchasing two, a red V6 convertible for the Mrs., and the aforementioned Z/28 (in hugger orange) for me.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Cost, by a large margin.

As I plan to purchase a loaded supercharged Z/28, the cheaper it is the better, whereas 100-200 lbs either way doesn't concern me as much.

If the Camaro is priced competitively, I may even consider purchasing two, a red V6 convertible for the Mrs., and the aforementioned Z/28 (in hugger orange) for me.

I had a similar plan. A black Z/28 for myself and a red V6 convertible for my wife. $1,000 -$2,000 either way is not a major concern for me.

But I really have little interest in a 4100 pound Z/28 and a V6 convertible which weighs nearly as much. Weight is the deal killer for me.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Cost and weight.

I've already determined I won't be buying one new (unless gas drops back to $2/gal ) The cost of ownership isn't justifiable to me anymore, so my fingers are crossed for a nice used on in a couple years. Cheaper price, insurance, and SC taxes (paid yearly based on vehicle's value)

More weight = less mpg (in all engine config.) which = bad.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Cost, like was said above, by a large margin. the weight is an unfortunate issue that I can live with.

On a personal scale, I'm more concerned about cost because if I cannot get a V8 for under or at 30k, I'm gonna be a little disapointed. I said I would be more than happy driving a V6 model -- and I will be. But not being able to get that big-honkin V8 will be a bit of a let-down.

On a grand scale, price gets priority because if GM doesn't price the Camaro within reach of Mustang, it's not going to sell. Which is bad.
Your average consumer doesn't care about weight. He/she sees the inital cost, saftey, comfort + ammenities, and fuel economy compared to other vehicles in its class....
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Charlie, where's the option for BOTH????

For ME?? I want the car to come out as light as possible. Power is cheaper and easier to add than weight is to remove.

But I also KNOW (and I'm sure you do too) that the COST is the real deal killer for ~99% of the buying population. A few of us here can jump up and down screaming all day about how heavy the car is, but unfortunately, there is a direct relation between the weight of the car, and the weight of money in GM's pockets .

I'll still place my vote under WEIGHT, because if/when the time comes, I'm rarely one to cringe at the price of the things I'm buying, as long as I'm satisfied with WHAT I'm buying .
Old 06-10-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Your average consumer doesn't care about weight. He/she sees the inital cost, saftey, comfort + ammenities, and fuel economy compared to other vehicles in its class....

...and Mustang sales were down almost 45% last month and down over 30% for the year...
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Good poll, Charlie.

Folks...we ALL want to say that "both" is the answer, but if you have to pick one OR the other, which would you pick?

Not an easy one, I know. I had to think about it a bit.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete

I'll still place my vote under WEIGHT, because if/when the time comes, I'm rarely one to cringe at the price of the things I'm buying, as long as I'm satisfied with WHAT I'm buying .
I agree, very true
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM

I'm a retard, I voted weight but wanted to vote for cost Stupid A D D.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM

Cost, I can change the weight, I can't change the price beyond GM supplier.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM

I picked weight. Especially since I no longer plan on buying one new (if at all, depending on things LIKE weight, interior, etc.).

It's a tough poll, I have no illusions of a $20,000 LS3 equipped model just like I have no illusions of a 3300 pound Camaro. I just hope there is a "happy medium" somewhere.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Cost, like was said above, by a large margin. the weight is an unfortunate issue that I can live with.

On a personal scale, I'm more concerned about cost because if I cannot get a V8 for under or at 30k, I'm gonna be a little disapointed. I said I would be more than happy driving a V6 model -- and I will be. But not being able to get that big-honkin V8 will be a bit of a let-down.

On a grand scale, price gets priority because if GM doesn't price the Camaro within reach of Mustang, it's not going to sell. Which is bad.
I will completely agree with this post with the exception of the v6... I'm not going to buy a v6 muscle car - period (I would probably purchase a 1-series)

HOWEVER.... I have complete confidence based on the Fbodfather & other comments that the base v8 (SS) will be priced in the same ballpark as its Mustang GT counterpart.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
Cost, I can change the weight, I can't change the price beyond GM supplier.
And how would you do that substantially?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And how would you do that substantially?
Any number of ways(and ranging costs) depending on what I wanted out of the car and how its laid out. Currently I don't have one in front of me to engineer anything or give specifics.

Generically if you wanted nothing more than a strip/road course car and cared nothing for asthetics/ride comfort you can gut the entire interior panels/extra seats/electronics/sound deadning/carpet/airbags/dash, replace the drivers seat with a suspension racing seat, tear out the egr/ac/engine covers. Drop the rear trunk pan and install a fuel cell, replace the heavier panels with carbonfiber/fiberglass, replace glass with lexan, etc..

Again this is extreme and generic due to lack of details but I think you get my point that its easier to come up with weight saving ideas and spend as YOU see fit rather than raise the cost of the vehicle for something that the masses would rather save the money on.

It all depends on how much comfort/amenities your willing to give up and how much your willing to spend.

Quick Reply: What concerns you more? Cost or weight?