2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What this board is *really* all about.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up What this board is *really* all about.....

Hey guys! Lots of talk and reactions going on here lately about the Camaro and some of the discussions have been quite heated. But in the last day I've realized what this board is *really* all about and thought I'd share.

For the past three weeks I've been driving a Buick LaCrosse daily since I plowed down two trees with my '99 TA WS6. Long story short - ice on a downhill does not make for a happy TA, nor driver for that matter. The LaCrosse was a nice car, but from a driving standpoint felt very sedate and frankly.....dead. I kept saying that I hope I never get so old that such an unfeeling car is something I'd pay for.

So yesterday afternoon I got my TA back.......oh, the feeling! Hearing the v8 rumble to life for the first time in weeks!!! Feeling the body shudder slightly as the engine starts up!!! Unsurprisingly, every sensation of the car was so much more extreme than what I'd been driving - more powerful, more intimidating - and so very much more fun!! And letting loose on the highway going home - heavenly!! I've been driving my TA for 8 years, and yet a few weeks away and it seems so much more extreme!

And when I got home, I realized that my 4th gen still embodies everything I want in a car - a machine that will scare people on the road. I want a car that rumbles and forces everyone to look at it at a stoplight. I want a car that sounds like it's going to eat the car sitting in front of it. I want a car that can, when challenged, demolish all comers. And that passion, for that kind of car is exactly what this board is all about......and I think we lose sight of that far, far too often. Keep the faith!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Enzo Ferrari once said:

"Its not my cars that I like building, its the way they make me feel."
Old 03-11-2007, 03:22 PM

I feel amazing when I rarely get a chance to drive my '95. I am usually only driving the Corolla, and the Corolla brings up my favorite quote:

"If a car isn't fun to drive, then why drive it? Take the bus if you can, and at least you can do the crossword puzzle."
-Jalopnik I think
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM

Agreed!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Yep, it's like a drug . My '02 has been off the road since the first of January, pulled apart in the garage (headers, synchros, gears, ...) and I miss it every day .

I think it's very similar to the window banner I've seen some guys put on their Jeeps:
"It's a Jeep thing ... you wouldn't understand"

We "get" each other around here, but I'm sure the rest of the world looks at us like we're nuts!! But that's ok. V8's make me happy, and I'm not talking about the drink!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM

I hear ya. While mine was in the shop for 2 days, I borrowed my parents Hyundai Sonata to get to work and my place and such. Man what a difference when you're driving a much more sedated car for 2 days. When I got the Camaro back, it was very noticable how much tighter the car felt, how much more powerful it was, and how much more quick it could stop.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM

I've had my car in the garage for the past few months,and haven't driven it at all.We finally had some nice weather this past weekend so I got her out.It's amazing that something that I've owned for 8 years can still make me feel that good and free.When I go several weeks without driving her, she feels like new when I finally do!Trans Am forever!(great thread by the way)
Old 03-12-2007, 11:37 PM

I miss all three of my past F-bodies..... But I have an Exploder now and its great
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM

I feel this everytime i go from my daily driver to any one of my camaros. The odd thing about each camaro, is that each one is its own entity. Not a single one of them feels like the other. My 01, with its lightning quick throttle response, quiet rumble, and fresh leather smell, is a totally different world from my 89, who is soft, quiet, and smooth. It has the rumble, but only when you floor it(l03's will do that) and while she doesnt move fast, compared to the 01 or 92, it feels quick for what she is. The 92, its ***** all out exhaust, so loud folks on the other side of my nieghborhood hear me start it up, its grunt and squat while im going through the gears attempting to keep the car aimed striaght down the road is totally different from the other two as well.. and my 67, while i havent driven her yet, just sitting in her makes me feel in awe of the car for the years its been around.. I cant wait to drive her. I felt something of the same when i saw the 5th gen concept at the Gathering last year. It is a mixture of feelings that i cant really describe when i drive my camaros, and i cant wait to feel that in a 5th gen.. my only problem is im running out of parking!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:20 PM

So I'm not taking up any of your time I'll just say I totally agree. Nothing beats the feeling you get when you're behind the wheel of an F-body. And I was talking to lady friend of my who says she saw picks of the New camaro and thinks it's hot. Alright.Cyaz.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:43 AM

After my company gave me a car I really started appreciating the Camaro for what it is a lot more. I'm not complaining, getting gas and a car to put miles on while working and driving to/from work is great, but after I get home, any other errands occur in the Camaro. It really makes a difference going from a minivan to my 97. I grin every time I pull out of my neighborhood and floor it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Shellhead - your remarks nearly bring me to tears --that's what we worked so hard on -- to ensure that the driving -- and ownership -- experience was like none other.

Purple 92 SS -- interesting insight. I've told this to several enthusiasts -- but each Camaro has its own personality......even cars built within a week of each other (heck--mebbe even minutes within each other) -- they all have their 'personality' -- and when we had a fleet of vehicles -- I could tell the difference between each vehicle -- you're very astute!

And Silver99SS -- 'exploder'?????????????????? You have 'splaining to do!!!

(and I'm telling your uncle!)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
JAB

I'm completely with you on this feeling. I literally only think about what it would feel like to be in my Camaro when I'm driving other cars. It's the only car I can get in after a bad day, make the drive home, and feel great once I get out. We don't all agree on what about our cars makes them this way but we all are still here because we do love our them for whatever our own reason is.

This is Thread of the Week material here.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Purple 92 SS -- interesting insight. I've told this to several enthusiasts -- but each Camaro has its own personality......even cars built within a week of each other (heck--mebbe even minutes within each other) -- they all have their 'personality' -- and when we had a fleet of vehicles -- I could tell the difference between each vehicle -- you're very astute!

Scott,

Thanks for the compliment. I cannot agree with you more. I've owned 5 Camaros now, and still have 4 of them. (I sold a 91 RS t-top to buy my 89 Droptop) Like I said about each of mine, they all feel different.

I have numerous buddy's with different year F-body's, and some of them are even the same year as mine. They ALL have the Camaro feel, but its all a different feel. Even when I drive one of my buddy's cars, its a familliar feeling, but at the same time, its totally different. For instance a friend of mine has an 87 Iroc that we went to purchase. The day he purchased it, he had me drive it first. While it felt like a camaro, it felt like a "different" Camaro. Not quite the same, but not quite different. Another example is riding in my buddys 02 SOM Trans Am, EXACT SAME drivetrain, and colors as my 01 Z28,but even though its that close, its still totally different. (Oddly enough, in a dead line up, side by side, my 01 stock to stock is faster than his TA too, we cant figure that one out) Another example is a buddy's 91 Z28. Totally different feel when riding in it as well. I could go on with all my friends cars, but that would take too long and I know you understand what I mean.

If I could put it in words i would, but I just cant describe it. Things like layout of dash, seat position, height, color of car and interior shouldn't matter when driving, but its like each Camaro takes on its own personality.. Likes and dislikes, almost like it has its own soul and can think for itself (which I really think my purple car does!!) I know it sounds rediculus, but what I'm saying is its not anything you can say or tell.. its something you feel.. you just know, after driving them, and owning them, and feeling them.

While I've only had a Camaro for almost 10 years now, I really don't ever see me getting rid of any of my cars. My wife, luckily, is very understanding, and is as bad as I am in regards to cars. Her mother has worked for GMAC for 2x some odd years, and above our driveway proudly hangs the sign "Chevy Drive" (even though we do own a Pontiac too!! )

That brings me to another side note, whomever designed the new Suburbans and Tahoe's Z71 models, EXCELLENT WORK. God i wish i had the Money for one of those, we test drove one, black on black with silver leather inserts.. the truck was to die for.

Oh well, enough of my rambling, thanks again, and as most of us here are, know you got a Camaro Fan here for life. Hopefully we'll see you this year at the Gathering in Atlanta, and Hopefully Ill be in my 92 instead of my 01. Any chance of both the silver Concept and the convertible concept being there?

-steve
Old 03-21-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Shellhead - your remarks nearly bring me to tears --that's what we worked so hard on -- to ensure that the driving -- and ownership -- experience was like none other.
Those tears are well deserved, Scott. You guys built one hell of a car!!! Like anyone else I've had a lot of cars - and I'd previously thought my connection to my Trans Am was mostly based on what I've done with it......snowstorms, ice storms, lots of fun in the sun, t-tops off in 50 degree weather.....and largely because it's been my daily driver for 8 years. But I'd never been without it for more than a week at a time in any case.

So the fact that I could have such an attachment to my car after not driving it for three weeks really rather surprised me. I mean, when I first drove my car after driving inferior automobiles for years it was exhilarating - like a legal rollercoaster! But after eight years you never expect to have a similar reaction! And I should say that since I got my car back I haven't been able to have enough fun with it - I keep wanting to go faster, and find fast, curvey roads. It's almost like a drug and it's made me that much more excited about the 5th gen.......although finally giving up my Trans Am is going to be REALLY, REALLY hard........

Quick Reply: What this board is *really* all about.....