2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about these Dealer mark ups

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM

What about these Dealer mark ups

So my dealer told me today that the new Camaro's will be most likely sold with a 5000-7500 mark up on top of msrp. Similar to the challenger.
Also they told me that my GM Discount could not be used?? Why is Gm allowing this and this is bull**** i'm getting screw'd out of a new camaro.
They are telling everyone this at the dealership who orders or order'd camaro's.

TELL ME THIS ISNT TRUE!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Just got this from Polar Chevrolet in Maplewood MN.

Jason,
They are a bit behind in allowing orders yet. We believe we will have more info in the next 2-3 weeks. I currently do not have pricing. I do know however that we will not be selling them for over MSRP and more than likely will be somewhat below that.

Bob Kiley

Polar Chevrolet/Mazda
1801 County Rd F
White Bear Lake, Mn 55110
http://www.polarchevmazda.com/

Also, I work for Costco and inquired about the Camaro with their buying program. From what I have heard is they are going to be selling for $500 to $1000 over invoice which is less than MSRP. If you are a member you may want to check it out in the next month or so.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM

My dealer has offered me MSRP and I'll know tomarrow if I get my GM card dicount. I went into another dealership and not only did the guy tell me that the SS wouldn't be out until next year he also gave me the same mark up BS and referenced the challenger. Some people are just looking to rip others off. If I'm not mistaken a dealership can choose not to honor a discount even if GM will.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 95birdible
They are a bit behind in allowing orders yet. We believe we will have more info in the next 2-3 weeks.
This is the same BS I have heard from the dealer I already placed my order with and placed my deposit.

For some reason they won't use the quick order system. I have called GM and complained but I doubt they will do anything about it.

I can't understand why there is such a disconnect between the dealers and GM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM

DON'T PAY OVER MSRP ON THE CAMARO!

If your local dealer wants to charge ANY markup on the Camaro, let alone $5000-$7500, don't give them your business. Shop around - someone will sell you the car at MSRP (or below).

Again, don't pay over MSRP!
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 PM

The reason that dealers will not honor the Discounts is because then they will obviously lose money. Not only that but it takes out wiggle room for negotiations since if they honor the discounts, the banks will lower the loan amount that is possible to get. (at least thats what i was reading a few weeks back). The dealerships that sell at MSRP will be around next year. the ones that do not will not be around. So in the end they will get whats coming to them
Old 10-20-2008, 03:47 PM

How does ordering a car from Costco work?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by FAD1
How does ordering a car from Costco work?
http://www.costcoauto.com/enterzipco...2fdefault.aspx
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 PM

They have an auto buying program that works with dealers in your area. They already have the price negotiated. Sometimes it is better, sometimes worse.
When I bought my Yaris in January I was quoted 13,800 from the Costco Dealer network. It was about 1200 below MSRP. I did some more shopping around and got in for 13,200. While it is a good deal and you do not have to haggle at all, if you shop a little more you may be able to save a few hundred extra. Note I say MAY save.
You have to call their number for dealers in your area. They have brouchers in each Warehouse.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Bottom line is this...

Any dealer that says that you need to pay more than MSRP, walk right out.

Any dealer that tells you anything that doesn't sound right, like "we can only order V6 Camaros" or "They will only be making 1,000 Camaros", walk right out.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Bottom line is this...

Any dealer that says that you need to pay more than MSRP, walk right out.

Any dealer that tells you anything that doesn't sound right, like "we can only order V6 Camaros" or "They will only be making 1,000 Camaros", walk right out.
^^
Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 PM

^Im about to test this with my brother at Gar Barbera's Chevy dealership.

Fun Fact: Guy who works there, has a brother that was my boss when I worked at a boy scout camp.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ZachXSmith
So my dealer told me today that the new Camaro's will be most likely sold with a 5000-7500 mark up on top of msrp. Similar to the challenger.
Also they told me that my GM Discount could not be used?? Why is Gm allowing this and this is bull**** i'm getting screw'd out of a new camaro.
They are telling everyone this at the dealership who orders or order'd camaro's.

TELL ME THIS ISNT TRUE!!!
Fully expect the 1st Camaros in the showroom to have substantial markups (this doesn't include customer cars that were already ordered).

The reason?... Showroom traffic. The dealer is going to want to have at least 1 in the showroom, and they will attach a horrendous markup. If someone is crazy enough to pay it, they'll sell it to them. Once supplies start flowing freely, then we'll see markups come down.

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
The reason that dealers will not honor the Discounts is because then they will obviously lose money. Not only that but it takes out wiggle room for negotiations since if they honor the discounts, the banks will lower the loan amount that is possible to get. (at least thats what i was reading a few weeks back). The dealerships that sell at MSRP will be around next year. the ones that do not will not be around. So in the end they will get whats coming to them
Anyone expecting huge discounts on the Camaro the day it hits the showrooms or any time immediately afterwards needs to be realistic.

The main purpose of discounts is to move cars that are not selling as they should be. Angelis is correct in that selling at discounts takes money away from someone, either the dealer or the company that's making the car. Assuming the Camaro is going to be a hot selling commodity, there will be no need for discounts & incentives.

As far as predicting what dealers will be around and which ones won't, I wouldn't bet on any dealer not selling at MSRP failing anytime soon. Again, demand dictates price, and not all locations have the same hot models... even seasons dictate what's selling and what isn't.

Ford & Chevrolet dealers tend to be better than most on not exceeding MSRP because they both rely on volume. You are unlikely to see dealers of either acting like what seems to be the norm with Pontiac dealers who seem to lose their bloody minds whenever they get a new hot model.

Jason's reccomendation is spot on. If you don't get the price you want, walk out. But also don't as a rule expect to be able to drive off the showroom in one of the few new Camaros on the dealer's lot below MSRP or even some markups.

Best bet is to wait till the hype dies down and models are freely available.