2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 PM

Re: What about t-tops

I'll probably buy one either way, but T-Tops/Targa top would make me so so so much happier. I'm just not a vert person.

I can't imagine driving around and seeing mustang drivers enjoying t-tops on nice days and me not. Hell, that's how i see when most of the traffic lights around here are going to change! Gotta be able to see up!

sunroofs are not anywhere near the same.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Perhaps they could offer T-Tops, on say the SS, but go for a fixed roof on the Z28. Do it like the corvette, nobody seems to complain about that
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM

I don't know if I'll be in the market for one...but no T-top option would be a HUGE turnoff for me. Like even to the point of not purchasing one.

Thats probably my favorite feature of the F-body.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:21 PM

I think this is a little funny, alot of the same folks who would insist on t-tops also complain about the annoyances, the creaks and rattles associated with them and the structural integrity compromises found in most t-top cars. The folks I'm talking about are NOT the folks posting here so don't get the wrong idea, I'm talking about John-Q-Public.

I enjoyed the t-tops on my 1st Camaro years ago, but they seemed to be a hassle frankly. That is one of the reasons I opted for a convertable!

As for the 5th gen ideas, I agree with Jason on the moon-roof (panoramic or otherwise) for a number of reasons.

1. The reliability- they have MOST of them down to an art now and they don't fly off on the hwy (had heard stories, but happened to my bro-in-law).
2. Flexability- open, shut see-thru, vent ect. If it starts raining on you, no pulling over to pop in the tops (provided you didn't need the trunk space and actually brought them with you). No need to purchase the shades to block the sun on those 100+ degree days.
3. Improved structural integrity- safer (even if only perceived) and fewer flexes leading to the creaks and rattles. Would also (I would think) allow for higher HP/TQ engine options in the future with a more rigid chassis .
4. More "refined"- One of the intangables, but will make the car marketable/attractive to a larger audience. Folks who are still stuck with the old negative images of the Camaro would be pleasantly surprised and we have the potential of bringing more buyers into the community!

While I have been a die-hard F-body freak since I was old enough to even pretend to drive, I don't see how a refinement on a great concept would do anything but improve the base. The T-tops had become a main-stay of the f-bodies, but the evolution of a good thing means more customers and more f-body owners!

As for a targa, that would be excellent and would be my preference WAY over t-tops! It seems like most of the draw-backs associated with t-tops would also apply to a targa though.

Given the CHOICE between the three (targa, t-top or moon-roof), I'd order the moon-roof personally (assuming a convertable was not offered or too pricy). As long as it is of descent size- I don't want a freaking port-hole, panoramic=sale!

Allen

Last edited by RMC_SS_LDO; 12-08-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Now I know why it is so freaking hard to find a hardtop 4th gen.

Personally, I hate t-tops/targa/vert. They make the car heavier and reduce structural rigidity. I know they (t-tops) are a part of the Camaro heritage, but GM, please make a hartop M6 in Hugger orange with White Stripes and send put my name on it.

Oh, I am a noob and this is my first post, so hey everyone.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM

T-tops are like pop up headlights on the C6.....everybody will bitch about their absence but in a year or two you won't hear a peep about it anymore.

Personally I don't care, as I don't ever go anywhere in my car that I wouldn't just put them right back in when I got there. So they rarely ever come off. I'd rather have a hardtop car. I agree a Moonroof would be nice but I've never seen those as something that belongs on a "performance" car.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM

A lack of t-tops on the new Camaro would realistically force me to consider a used Corvette instead of a new Camaro. I use my t-tops and my targa way too often and enjoy the experience way too much for me to consider buying a muscle car that doesn't offer it. I'm not sure that it would be a deal breaker, but it certainly could be.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by rmc_ss
I think this is a little funny, alot of the same folks who would insist on t-tops also complain about the annoyances, the creaks and rattles associated with them and the structural integrity compromises found in most t-top cars. The folks I'm talking about are NOT the folks posting here so don't get the wrong idea, I'm talking about John-Q-Public.

I enjoyed the t-tops on my 1st Camaro years ago, but they seemed to be a hassle frankly. That is one of the reasons I opted for a convertable!

As for the 5th gen ideas, I agree with Jason on the moon-roof (panoramic or otherwise) for a number of reasons.

1. The reliability- they have MOST of them down to an art now and they don't fly off on the hwy (had heard stories, but happened to my bro-in-law).
2. Flexability- open, shut see-thru, vent ect. If it starts raining on you, no pulling over to pop in the tops (provided you didn't need the trunk space and actually brought them with you). No need to purchase the shades to block the sun on those 100+ degree days.
3. Improved structural integrity- safer (even if only perceived) and fewer flexes leading to the creaks and rattles. Would also (I would think) allow for higher HP/TQ engine options in the future with a more rigid chassis .
4. More "refined"- One of the intangables, but will make the car marketable/attractive to a larger audience. Folks who are still stuck with the old negative images of the Camaro would be pleasantly surprised and we have the potential of bringing more buyers into the community!

While I have been a die-hard F-body freak since I was old enough to even pretend to drive, I don't see how a refinement on a great concept would do anything but improve the base. The T-tops had become a main-stay of the f-bodies, but the evolution of a good thing means more customers and more f-body owners!

As for a targa, that would be excellent and would be my preference WAY over t-tops! It seems like most of the draw-backs associated with t-tops would also apply to a targa though.

Given the CHOICE between the three (targa, t-top or moon-roof), I'd order the moon-roof personally (assuming a convertable was not offered or too pricy). As long as it is of descent size- I don't want a freaking port-hole, panoramic=sale!

Allen

My t-tops leak anytime it rains hard, or I go through a Car wash, but Holding the towel againt them is worth the enjoyment they give.

Edit: I always said the only reasons I bought my car(over a mustang) were because of T-tops, 6 speed and good looks.

Last edited by TrackMagicWS6; 12-08-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Sixer...try 80% of '02 Camaro buyers

Anyhoot, t-tops will not happen. I don't think a targa will, either...and no, this is not unfounded either. Those of you who know me know I don't say things unless I know something. Short of an 11th hr change by the engineering team, they will not happen Of course, if Mustang gets them, maybe GM's hand will be forced?

With that said, how about a panoramic moonroof?
T-tops were great and I had them on my 94 z28 I took them off every warm sunny day in Southern California I could and that was alot of days

I do think that the reason the $900 t-option was so popular was because there was no sunroof option and many dealers ordered most Camaros with the t-tops for the extra mark-up $$$. While I would pick the t-top over the sunroof any day, but Im sure many out there would have been just as happy with a less expensive $500 sunroof/moonroof.

Last edited by johnsocal; 12-08-2005 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM

t-tops will look stupid on this car.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:42 PM

I have T-tops on my 99 after owning a Convertible 89 for eight years and the T-tops just don't do it for me. I like them OK but when I buy my new one it will be convertible or hard top.

edit: I do think, however, GM should offer a removable roof of some sort as so many people seem to enjoy them. I have had a lot of mustang drivers tell me they like my T-tops.