2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Went to PRI - Camaro Body In White info

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Went to PRI - Camaro Body In White info

I went to the Professional Racing Industry show in Orlando, Florida today and am happy to share info on the Camaro being offered as a body in white.

The part number is: 19243374

RACERS REJOICE! GM PERFORMANCE PARTS TO OFFER NEW CAMARO
BODIES IN WHITE

Grand Blanc, Mich. – Racers who want to slip into something more fashionable at the
track next year will find the 2010 Camaro is just their size. GM Performance Parts will
offer body in white packages of the new Camaro starting in the first quarter of 2009.
The basic package lists for $7,000 and includes an assembled body structure, including
the front fenders, hood, front valance/grille header panel, roof, doors, rear quarters, trunk
lid and rear valance. The structure also includes the complete floorpans and chassis
rails.
Racer must fill out an online application to be eligible to purchase one. The form is
available at www.gmperformanceparts.com. Bodies will be sold on a first-come, first-serve
basis. There is no limit to the number an approved racing team can purchase.
“This is the easiest and most cost-effective way to build a race-ready new Camaro,” said
Dr. Jamie Meyer, of GM Performance Parts. “We envision racers using these bodies for
all types of competition, from Pro Street and Competition drag racing to road racing.”
The body in white includes only a painted body shell and no additional components or
materials. The bodies do not have vehicle identification numbers, so they may only be
used as racing vehicles that will never be licensed for street driving.
Racers will add powertrain, fuel system, suspension, interior components and glass (or
sanctioning body-approved alternative), and safety equipment, then go racing.
“For the racers who would strip down the entire car and replace most of the components
with racing-spec parts, the body in white saves time and money,” said Dr. Meyer. “Drag
racers, for example, won’t have to worry about swapping out for a solid axle – they can
just bolt one up and go.”
The body in white’s unadorned interior also saves time and money by allowing racing
teams to eliminate the process of stripping a fully equipment production car in order to
reduce weight and prep the chassis for a roll cage.
And when it comes to building up the body in white, GM Performance Parts offers crate
engines, engine controllers, high-performance transmissions and hundreds of other
parts to help complete the project – including dedicated drag racing engines and engine
suited for circle track and road racing competition.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 12-13-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Very cool.

Nice to see you have an Avatar now fastdog, is it Ron White?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM

I looked at the link and didn't see the form. Are you sure it is correct?

-Geoff
Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

I think the link is bad, I fixed it but the press release is also incorrect...
http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...Camaro+BIW.pdf

I am sure more info is forthcoming.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Banned

sounds great if you have a ton of money to build a chassis.

IOt would be alot more appealing if they had some program geared more towards sportsman type racers, stockers etc. with a solid type axle kit etc. rather than a pile of body parts, its take some serious money to build a whole race car like that.....I'm sure someone will have a carbon fiber body out or even fiber glass soon and the pricing will be very competative
Old 12-16-2008, 03:29 PM

were 4th gens offered liek this?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
were 4th gens offered liek this?
Yes.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
sounds great if you have a ton of money to build a chassis.

IOt would be alot more appealing if they had some program geared more towards sportsman type racers, stockers etc. with a solid type axle kit etc. rather than a pile of body parts, its take some serious money to build a whole race car like that.....I'm sure someone will have a carbon fiber body out or even fiber glass soon and the pricing will be very competative
My last street car I had an entire new rear suspension and the only thing stock in the front was the rack, and the lower a-arms and support. Most hardcore guys upgrade most of the stuff anyways (BMR make spretty much all of it). I wouldn't be surprised if some people bought these to build street/strip cars.

-Geoff
Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
My last street car I had an entire new rear suspension and the only thing stock in the front was the rack, and the lower a-arms and support. Most hardcore guys upgrade most of the stuff anyways (BMR make spretty much all of it). I wouldn't be surprised if some people bought these to build street/strip cars.

-Geoff
Pretty sure a body in white car could never be registered though It would be cool. I would be able to buy a new camaro part by part!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by vonmoldy
Pretty sure a body in white car could never be registered though It would be cool. I would be able to buy a new camaro part by part!
You just wait for a totalled one and buy it from a junkyard. Seriously.

-Geoff
Old 12-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Camaro BIW Correct press release - From GM

JasonD - you were right. The press release you posted was incorrect. Unfortunately, we had a last minute correction to make, which didn't make the online posting. This is the correct version -- it is now posted online.

Vonmoldy - you are correct. The Camaro BIW will not come with a VIN.

Tom Henderson
GM Performance Parts

# # #

RACERS REJOICE! GM PERFORMANCE PARTS TO OFFER NEW CAMARO BODIES IN WHITE

GRAND BLANC, Mich. – Racers who want to slip into something more fashionable at the track next year will find the 2010 Camaro is just their size. GM Performance Parts will offer body in white packages of the new Camaro starting in the first quarter of 2009.

The basic package lists for $7,000 and includes an assembled body structure, including the front fenders, hood, roof, doors, rear quarters and trunk lid. The structure also includes the complete floorpans and chassis rails.

Racer must fill out an online application to be eligible to purchase one. The form is available at www.gmperformanceparts.com. Bodies will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is no limit to the number an approved racing team can purchase.

“This is the easiest and most cost-effective way to build a race-ready new Camaro,” said Dr. Jamie Meyer, product marketing manager, GM Performance Parts. “We envision racers using these bodies for all types of competition, from Pro Street and Competition drag racing to road racing.”

The body in white includes only an un-painted body shell and no additional components or materials. The bodies do not have vehicle identification numbers, so they may be used only as racing vehicles that will never be licensed for street driving.

Racers will add the powertrain, fuel system, suspension, interior components, glass (or sanctioning body-approved alternative) and safety equipment, then go racing.

“For the racers who would strip down the entire car and replace most of the components with racing-spec parts, the body in white saves time and money,” said Dr. Meyer. “Drag racers, for example, won’t have to worry about swapping out for a solid axle – they can just bolt one up and go.”

The body in white’s unadorned interior also saves time and money by allowing racing teams to eliminate the process of stripping a fully equipped production car in order to reduce weight and prep the chassis for a roll cage.

And when it comes to building up the body in white, GM Performance Parts offers crate engines, engine controllers, high-performance transmissions and hundreds of other parts to help complete the project – including dedicated drag racing engines and engines suited for circle track and road racing competition.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 PM

....said Dr. Meyer. “Drag
racers, for example, won’t have to worry about swapping out for a solid axle – they can
just bolt one up and go.”....

Interesting!