2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of Magnacharger = Glimpse of Future Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Weight of Magnacharger = Glimpse of Future Z28

Alright, so we know the Z28 will have the supercharger LSA. The differences in the LSA and LS3 are very minor, with the exception of the supercharger of course. This got me thinking.

How much does the Magnacharger 2300 kit for the 2010 Camaro weigh? How much does the stock LS3 intake it replaces weigh? How much fluid is needed for the intercooler? Essentially, what does a 2010 Camaro SS weigh before and after a Magnacharger swap.

This would essentially be what the Camaro Z28 will weigh and someone has to have this information. I don't see the brakes changing from the SS, or the rearend and transmission. There will be some cosmetic changes, maybe some wheels and tires, and a few small suspension changes like sway bars/shocks. None of those should effect weight much.

Discuss.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Alright, so we know the Z28 will have the supercharger LSA.
How sure are we on that?

How much does the Magnacharger 2300 kit for the 2010 Camaro weigh?
I weighed my Maggie and it came in at right around 75 lbs for the blower unit, and a half guess is around another 25 pounds for the extra accessories. I think it is safe to say 100lbs. Add 5-10 more as a buffer if you like, but it is certainly not less than 100.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
How sure are we on that?
Nothing is guaranteed of course, but its a pretty safe bet.

I weighed my Maggie and it came in at right around 75 lbs for the blower unit, and a half guess is around another 25 pounds for the extra accessories. I think it is safe to say 100lbs. Add 5-10 more as a buffer if you like, but it is certainly not less than 100.
So 75lbs. included the blower with integral intercooler. What are the extra accessories you are referring too? Also, you forgot to subtract the weight of the stock intake manifold. Any idea what it weighs? Also, how much fluid does the intercooler hold?

Thanks for the help Jason.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

So 75lbs. included the blower with integral intercooler.
Damn close to it.

What are the extra accessories you are referring too?
The heat exchanger, wires, hoses, clamps, relays, fluid, etc.

Also, you forgot to subtract the weight of the stock intake manifold. Any idea what it weighs?
Good point! I ran down to my storage room and lifted it. I can guess at around maybe 10 lbs, give or take a pound or two.

Also, how much fluid does the intercooler hold?
That one I don't know, I checked the installation manual and it didn't say exactly. I don't think en entire gallon, though.

I still say that calculating around 100 lbs. is a safe number.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Some more data for reference:

Lingenfelter has the complete package shipping weight at 100lbs. but this is just a round number for price purposes.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...&Category_Code

I found an aftermarket FAST LS3 intake with a shipping weight of 20lbs. and the stock manifold may be heavier.
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=146102

Magnacharger - LS3 intake + fluids = 90-100lbs.?

To me, 100lbs. sounds like that maximum weight with fluids and every little clip, wire tie, etc.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Good point! I ran down to my storage room and lifted it. I can guess at around maybe 10 lbs, give or take a pound or two.
That sounds low based on what I found for the FAST intake. If you get sometime, jump on a scale with that bad boy. Perhaps you are just stronger than you think, haha.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

That sounds low based on what I found for the FAST intake. If you get sometime, jump on a scale with that bad boy. Perhaps you are just stronger than you think, haha.
I don't have a decent scale with me, but since I have the strength of ten men I equated it to a bit less weight than two gallons of milk.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Some more data for reference:

Lingenfelter has the complete package shipping weight at 100lbs. but this is just a round number for price purposes.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...&Category_Code

I found an aftermarket FAST LS3 intake with a shipping weight of 20lbs. and the stock manifold may be heavier.
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ct_Code=146102

Magnacharger - LS3 intake + fluids = 90-100lbs.?

To me, 100lbs. sounds like that maximum weight with fluids and every little clip, wire tie, etc.
Most certainly will be a bigger cooling system.

Higher horsepower makes more heat. To maintain the same production cooling standards as the SS, the cooling system will have to be bigger. In addition to hardware, that means more fluid in the system (and a bit more weight).

Is the tranny the same as the SS, or is it a heavier duty version?

Is the differential the same? (the CTS-v's rear end is not the same as in the SS)

Are the brakes and calipers going to be the same?

Is it going to have bigger front tires? (the SS's front P-Zeros are narrower than the Mustang GT Track Pack's P-Zeros)

Are there any structural differences between the SS and the Z28? (until last year, Shelby GT500s had a thicker floorpan than regular Mustangs)

Are there any changes to the block or internals? (in fact, the engine block is not the same as the LS3... it's a heavier duty casting)

There's lots of questions to ask about lots of little things that will add up in weight. Can't just put a supercharger on a scale, and come up with the weight a Z28 would be.

The weight difference between the SS and Z28 will be less than that of the Mustang GT and GT500 because the GT500 has more upgrades that add weight over the essentially featherweight Mustang than the mostly industrial strength (and heavy) Camaro SS has. But there will no doubt be more weight gain than just the supercharger.

The supercharged Thunderbird SC weighed 190 pounds more than the V6 LX.

The 2003 Mustang Cobra weighed in at 3665. Just over 200 pounds more than the non-blown '99 Cobra's 3550 pounds.

The Supercharged Grand Prix GTP weighed about 3670 pounds, while a GT weighed 3,500, 170 pounds more.

All are a far cry the 300 pounds worth of hardware the GT500 has over the Mustang GT, but it lays a very convincing case that an LSA powered Z28 is going to weigh a lot more than just 100 pounds over an SS.

The Cadillac CTS-V coupe weighs in at over 4300 pounds.

Unless GM builds this Z28 out of Titanium, an LSA Z28 will easily weigh at the very least 4,000 pounds (just 140 pounds above an SS... and given other examples...that's giving the Z28 benefit of doubt).

Last edited by guionM; 11-26-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:32 PM

The LS9 weighs 531 pounds dry... just you know say'n
Old 11-26-2009, 01:38 PM

LSA Z/28 = 4100 pounds.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Most certainly will be a bigger cooling system.

Higher horsepower makes more heat. To maintain the same production cooling standards as the SS, the cooling system will have to be bigger. In addition to hardware, that means more fluid in the system (and a bit more weight).
People aren't having any problem's when adding the Maggie, but an OE might got to a slightly larger radiator. Does the ZR1 have a larger radiator than the Z06, regular C6?

Is the tranny the same as the SS, or is it a heavier duty version?
I expect it to be the same in terms of weight. Are there any weight related differences between our T-6060 and that in the GT500? I thought they were basically identical?

Is the differential the same? (the CTS-v's rear end is not the same as in the SS)
Thats a good question. We just don't know the limits of the Camaro SS rear, but I am sure GM does. Maybe it is strong enough, maybe it will get better axles, or other changes. That would add much weight, but I think we would be happy to have whatever weight it adds for the strength.

Are the brakes and calipers going to be the same?
I don't see any reason to change them. Is 100lbs. or even 200lbs. really going to necessitate better brakes? We are talking about some quality Brembo's here that should be able to handle the extra heft just fine. I could see perhaps a change in front bias (like the difference between a 4th Gen F-body and a C5 Corvette) but I don't forsee any changes that will effect weight.

Is it going to have bigger front tires? (the SS's front P-Zeros are narrower than the Mustang GT Track Pack's P-Zeros)
That's a good possibility, but will it get some lighter weight wheels to offset that weight gain?

Are there any structural differences between the SS and the Z28? (until last year, Shelby GT500s had a thicker floorpan than regular Mustangs)
You sure you got that right? I have never heard that on SVTperformance, but the Mustang did get the GT500's stiffer/heavier crossmember in 2010. Perhaps that is what you are thinking? As for the Camaro, I don't see any necessary areas for improvement in the overly robust/heavy and extremely rigid (25 Hertz) chassis.

Are there any changes to the block or internals? (in fact, the engine block is not the same as the LS3... it's a heavier duty casting)
Thought I read that the LS9 uses the LS3 block for the fact that it is stronger than the LS7 block. Does the LSA not use the same block as the LS3 and LS9?

There's lots of questions to ask about lots of little things that will add up in weight. Can't just put a supercharger on a scale, and come up with the weight a Z28 would be.
Agreed, but due to the chassis of the Camaro, the existing brakes, transmission, and possibly rearend, I don't forsee many more changes than the supercharger, wheels/tires (which could be weight neutral), shocks/sways (shouldn't do much), and body parts.

Therefore, the supercharger would be by far the most significant weight gains, so I think an accurate weight of the Maggies swap gives us a good glimpse of the Z28.

Unless GM builds this Z28 out of Titanium, an LSA Z28 will easily weigh at the very least 4,000 pounds (just 140 pounds above an SS... and given other examples...that's giving the Z28 benefit of doubt).
I think 4,000lbs. is a possibility.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 PM

You sure you got that right? I have never heard that on SVTperformance, but the Mustang did get the GT500's stiffer/heavier crossmember in 2010. Perhaps that is what you are thinking? As for the Camaro, I don't see any necessary areas for improvement in the overly robust/heavy and extremely rigid (25 Hertz) chassis.
The transmission tunnel in the 2007+ cars was significantly strengthened (V6, GT, GT500) for the GT500 and it added around 70 lbs to the car IIRC. Beyond that, there is some additional bracing around the engine (strut tower brace and some vert bracing on the 07-09 cars). I don't remeber reading about the stronger crossmember on the '10 car, but seeing as how they dumped the strut brace in favor of a quieter inlet tract I wouldn't doubt it.

As far as the cooling system, I bet it will be bigger, if for no other reason than ruggedly over engineering the car so that all the "tuners" out there can amp the power up without the car turning into a hurdling fireball and the consequent reputation the F5 would get for it.

Awhile back, there was a video posted with a Duttweiler modded GT500 and a modded Challenger SRT8, both putting down around 750hp at Pheonix Raceway in the summer. In the end, the GT500 had no problem handling the heat and the Challenger had to stop because it was puking coolant all over the track. Marginal was the word that came to my mind when I watched the Chyallenger bow out.

And honestly, I would expect the Z/28 to be over-engineered if for no ther reason than out of the 3 current pony cars (well 2 pony cars and thier fat cousin), the SS is designed as the actual track car versus the Mustang and Challenger which means the Z/28 will certainly need to be thougher in my eyes than the SS.

<---edit--->

Oh, and my bet is somewhere well over 4,000 pounds.

Last edited by bossco; 11-27-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Unless it lost some serious weight ... around 4100lbs
Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
Oh, and my bet is somewhere well over 4,000 pounds.
Well over? I'll take that bet. I don't think it will be over 4,100 pounds as an absolute max.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:04 AM

Well over? I'll take that bet. I don't think it will be over 4,100 pounds as an absolute max.
Depends on how you look at well over, I'm nit picky when it comes to things like that myself with well over meaning 4,000 pounds + 50 to maybe 150 or so pounds. I wouldn't be expecting something like a 4,500 pound F5 in S/C trim if that was what your thinking when I said "well over".

Anyways, surprise me GM with some niffty weight saving features that do more than just reduce weight

Name:  dba_5000_rotor_hero.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  33.0 KB

Quick Reply: Weight of Magnacharger = Glimpse of Future Z28