2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for the Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 AM

Waiting for the Convertible?

For those of us that want a convertible? has it been announced exactly when they will be out? Assuming the Camaro sells well and that GM doesn't fold of course.
I think I remember hearing it won't be out until winter of NEXT year???
Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
For those of us that want a convertible? has it been announced exactly when they will be out? Assuming the Camaro sells well and that GM doesn't fold of course.
I think I remember hearing it won't be out until winter of NEXT year???
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669921

An "Unknown Convertible Model" will begin production in February of 2010.

I figure that is probably the Camaro, and it's the last thing I've heard about it. If it's true, then it will start production about this time next year. Nothing official though, take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 AM

I'm guessing people will start to see the 'vert at dealers in the spring of 2010, assuming GM is still around and they don't scuttle the 'vert to conserve money.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Well THAT friggin sucks. I really want a convertible, but if it is only a 50-50 chanse that it will even see production IN A YEAR, I like a lot of people don't want to wait. the redesigned Mustang is coming out in a convertible. I understand that GM is hurting, but how many Camaro convertibles do you think would be sitting around on lots?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM

My wife and I love the new Camaro.Sat in it 3 times at the Chicago auto show.But our '02 is paid for and the top goes down.We hate tough decisions!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm waiting for the 'vert.
I don't think there's a 50-50 chance that it's going to be produced.
GM IS going to produce the Camaro convertible, so long as they don't need to conserve cash anymore than they are and that they're still around.
But GM has NEVER said that there is just a 50-50 chance they'll produce the car.
Officially, the 'vert is a go, from what I understand.

And even if it comes out a little later, that's alright. I'm not ready to buy until 2012-2013 anyways.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Since day one when the "official" announcement was released they suggested that the convertible wouldn't be available until the 2011 MY. For that reason, why would anyone expect production to begin before February 2010?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Since day one when the "official" announcement was released they suggested that the convertible wouldn't be available until the 2011 MY. For that reason, why would anyone expect production to begin before February 2010?
Well HELL! I can't wait that long for a Camaro.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM

I believe the convertible is not going to be built until early calendar year 2011.

I could be mistaken, but I think this is the case.

Originally Posted by christianjax
Well HELL! I can't wait that long for a Camaro.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 PM

I so wish there were t-tops available. I'm gonna miss them if i get one in the next year or so, and i'm not really a Vert kind of guy. The sunroof is really big looking at pictures, does it slide back and into the roof or what, anyone know?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by bryan2230
I so wish there were t-tops available. I'm gonna miss them if i get one in the next year or so, and i'm not really a Vert kind of guy. The sunroof is really big looking at pictures, does it slide back and into the roof or what, anyone know?
it slides on top of the roof. there is pics of it open but i don't know where they are.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Here are a few pics of it open...

Name:  camarossdetroit09_03.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  checam_rtv6_10_22_gallery_image_lar.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  checam_rtv6_10_23_gallery_image_lar.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM

T-Tops would effect rigidity of the car, which effects handling. Not to mention T-T-tops would eliminate the side custain airbags which would hurt insurability.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
T-Tops would effect rigidity of the car, which effects handling. Not to mention T-T-tops would eliminate the side custain airbags which would hurt insurability.
I'm sure I remember Scott telling us that the T-top cars were just as stiff as the hardtops. They had most of the same framing. The skin that covered the framing wasn't strong enough to contribute to rigidity.

Now in the new car there is a T-bar that runs down the center of the roof also in addition to the one piece stamping on the sides.

I've been wondering why T-tops couldn't be made to work with that?

And I've been wondering what happens to that bar when a sunroof is installed? Are different bars used that go along the sides of the sunroof?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
I'm sure I remember Scott telling us that the T-top cars were just as stiff as the hardtops. They had most of the same framing. The skin that covered the framing wasn't strong enough to contribute to rigidity.

Now in the new car there is a T-bar that runs down the center of the roof also in addition to the one piece stamping on the sides.

I've been wondering why T-tops couldn't be made to work with that?

And I've been wondering what happens to that bar when a sunroof is installed? Are different bars used that go along the sides of the sunroof?
all that means is the hardtop 4th gen weren't very strong. i also don't believe that anyways....

the fact the 5th gen has one piece stamping has a lot to do with why they can't have t-tops. nevermind they'd look silly.

Quick Reply: Waiting for the Convertible?