2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Very general question for Scott.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 AM

Really!?! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Scott himself say "it isn't retro"?
Yes he did say that but please read the post after that. In 1969 it was an individual option order year, specific to the build sheet and customer demand. (there was no specific package group available) and in 2009 it will be (or could be) for that matter an option package group.

Regardless if it comes in a package and it has what some people want (including myself) They will probably order it. Thanks for the input. We are all in the same boat. The car will hopefully be kick *** and only time will tell since GM isn't letting the cat out of the bag!!!

Long Live the Camaro
Old 04-07-2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by kissel
Yes he did say that but please read the post after that. In 1969 it was an individual option order year, specific to the build sheet and customer demand. (there was no specific package group available) and in 2009 it will be (or could be) for that matter an option package group.
That's not entirely accurate. You could not randomly combine certain RPOs just because you desired them. For instance, you could not order RPOZ28 with an automatic, nor A/C, or with the convertible. Certain options were only available on specific models. Yes you could personalize the model you chose much more than with todays "package" groups. However you still got certain things included with the "package" when your ordered say RPOZ22 or RPOZ27.

Times have changed and it just is not cost effective to give the consumer so many options. Its better to combine more popular options into a package today as it reduces production costs which hopeful can then be passed down to the consumer.

However, that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appeared you were trying to say individual options should be available just like in the late 60s because the car is retro, a statement which you attributed to GM. While they have admitted the styling is inspired by the early Camaros, I have never heard anyone from GM call it retro. Furthermore, even if it is retro (a point I don't agree with), I cannot see how that relates to how GM packages options today in an entirely different economic climate than 1969.

As much as we love the early Camaros (I happen to own two myself) and even though the 2009 does embody their spirit in its styling, we simply cannot step back into those times completely when it comes to the economics of the new Camaro. Heck, we'd all love to be able to pay 1969 prices 40 years later.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 AM

As someone who's pretty much just a lurker here, I have to say that this has been one of the most interesting threads I've read in a long time (even with the near flame ups at times).

In some ways I'm like Kissel in my wants for this car. While I'd like to think I'd be happy with as much performance as I can afford and not worry about anything else (like some of my cars when I was much younger and more flexible), the truth is that I'd really like to buy a car that I can take out to track days at the local road course and put up some decent times, then turn around and drive it to work over city streets that look like they were imported from Kabul without feeling like I needed to rush to the dentist to get my fillings replaced. Since I anticipate the expense of the car I want to be such that it has to be usefull as my daily driver (I will be selecting all of the performance options that I can afford along with as many bells and whistles as I can get (magnetic ride control, leather, HUD, bluetooth, etc, etc, etc,)), I need the car to be practical for driving in all of the various weather conditions we get in Oklahoma.

With everything I've read and seen of the new Camaro and of GM's latest products in general, I'm confident that I won't be disapointed.

PS. JasonD I understand what you've put into this site. My main hobby is sim racing and I got into it enough to teach myself to do 3d modeling so I could drive what I wanted, and now have many 1000s of hours in creating mods I've released for free (not to mention the hours spent answering questions and tutoring others). I've done the vacation from work in order to get caught up on my hobby before too... You've got a wonderful site here and I hope you know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 PM

Regardless if it comes in a package and it has what some people want (including myself) They will probably order it. Thanks for the input. We are all in the same boat. The car will hopefully be kick *** and only time will tell since GM isn't letting the cat out of the bag!!!

Long Live the Camaro
Actually Id rather have the options in groups. If you go to a dealer and special order your car and have it shipped in with exactly what you want, youre probably going to pay for it. Cars sitting on the lots may have 2 or 3 options out of 20. The chances that the 3 options will be the ones you want is unlikely. With option groups and 5 cars on the lot, there is a higher probability the combination of groups you want is actually on the lot, or at a nearby lot.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Yes-- we need to ensure you can personalize your Camaro....but we have to make money first.......and so one of the things we want to talk to our enthusiasts about is the packaging of the car. (anyone who has met me at the many 'over a drink after the auto show' meetings at Marriotts all over the U. S. know that I am always asking questions about your wants and needs.........and I DO keep notes afterward!)

that's the nature of the business.

Keep up the dialog. (but keep it friendly and constructive!)

And keep up the passion!

YOU are the reason the Camaro is coming back!
lol I have seen you writing down some of the intresting comments after some of our meetings over the last 7yrs Scott lol.

hope to see ya in July Scott.

So lets all sit back & enjoy the ride, & see what happens after the end.

the coming of the 2nd age of Muscle cars is coming. & the pony wars are starting all over again this time Camaro will win hands down.

Last edited by krazzycowgirl; 04-07-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Actually Id rather have the options in groups. If you go to a dealer and special order your car and have it shipped in with exactly what you want, youre probably going to pay for it. Cars sitting on the lots may have 2 or 3 options out of 20. The chances that the 3 options will be the ones you want is unlikely. With option groups and 5 cars on the lot, there is a higher probability the combination of groups you want is actually on the lot, or at a nearby lot.
Yup, I remember shopping for cars with my folks when I was a kid, and you would see all these weird option combos. Like A/C, but no rear defrost. Or power locks, but no power windows. And then you'd find the car with everything you wanted, but it was an ugly color.

Then you went to the Honda dealer, and there were only two option groups -- loaded and sold out
Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Hi Scott,

I'm not much of a poster on the forum (I do more reading than talking ). I would just like to thank you for the insight you've given everyone. I think we all understand that due to the nature of your job you can't disclose much of what we want to know about the car that you already do know. That's okay - if you knew what your birthday presents would be before hand, why wrap them up?

I would like to just give some of my ideas about what I'd like to see. I'm sure at this stage of the development, most of my ideas will either be there or won't be there, but I feel better getting it out anyway -

Some features I'd for GM to look into adding to this car:
- Auto up/down for both windows, and make remote window operation available.

- Make a split folding rear seat standard on all models

- And last but not least, those awesome halos on the prototypes have GOT to make production. They look so friggin sinister and evil (especially with the headlights off) they'd scare a BMW 5 series out of the fast lane

Now for the performance:
- Keep the throws on the stick shift models as short as possible. Most of the later model GM vehicles I've driven with a 6 speed (CTS both 3.6 and V, GTO, G6 GTP) had a nice feel, but I thought the throws could still be shortened a little with a bit more positive definition between the gates.

- Twin piston front calipers on all V8 models. Maybe even a factory Brembo package option?

- Keep the balance in the steering. Lighter is better. I don't mean soft, but light. Some GM cars tend to have overly heavy steering to put emphasis on the "sporty", but in actuality they are just artificially heavy. Slows down your time when whipping through the twisties.

- A REAL dead pedal. Big, elevated off the floor (not some rubber molding sewn into the carpeting), and tilted at the right angle for comfort and proper posture.

- A TRACTION CONTROL AND STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM THAT CAN BE COMPLETELY DISENGAGED. Oh, sorry.... I forgot to take off the caps lock

Other than that, I'm sure you guys are making one hell of a car. Can't wait for it..... but pleeeeeezzzzzzzz make enough of them so dealers don't price gouge and try to make people think they're buying a Ferrari Enzo.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Just wanted to thank Jason for all of the work he puts into this site and Scott for all of the time he spends here with us. You both go beyond the call and for that we should all be grateful.

As far as my hopes for the car, if we can't have a removable roof, is a moonroof possible? I can't stand convertibles b/c I don't like what they do to the body lines of a car and their weatherproofing leaves a lot to be desired (not that the Vette is watertight, damn think leaks like a sieve - but I digress). But I've definitely fallen in love again with the open air feeling with the targa and the 99 t-topper I had (sniff, fond memories).

Waiting as patiently as possible for 2009...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Disciple

please do not forget the the "baby boomers" who will spend the cash outright for a quality high performance heavily optioned car.
My thoughts exactly. I believe that every option available on any other Chevy (except for some Corvette exclusive stuff) plus HUD should be available on the Camaro.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)

please do not forget the the "baby boomers" who will spend the cash outright for a quality high performance heavily optioned car.
Originally Posted by poSSum
My thoughts exactly. I believe that every option available on any other Chevy (except for some Corvette exclusive stuff) plus HUD should be available on the Camaro.
You can certainly add me to that category! Gotta be some advantage there to being an old fart!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sselie
You can certainly add me to that category!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:59 AM

I have had faith for the past 5 years on this site and it’s been great watching the Camaro drama since its hiatus in 2002. I have no doubt after the many discussions I’ve had and also read on here that this car is going to be a knock out.

I'm already lining up my budget for my 2010 vert and I hope maybe some comments I made to Scott at the Marriot last year about the HUD on my GTP make it on to my new Camaro.