2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Very general question for Scott.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Chuck!
This is what I assume happens when you clinic a car to death. 35% don't like this feature, so GM changes it, then 35% don't like the way the new one looks, so they change it, then 35%... etc and pretty soon you end up with a 2003 Malibu looking car that no one really dislikes, but no one really likes, either.
Are you saying that it is impossible for GM to build a feature in the 5th gen that the majority of people like?

I believe GM can build a Camaro all of us enthusiasts will like. Although we come from various backgrounds and ages, etc., we are not only the one's who will buy the car but are also the people who deeply care about the success of the brand. Allowing people to point out things which they feel are negative gives the designers food for thought.

I believe that the styling of the 5th gen absolutely captures the essence of what a Camaro is. The devil is in the detail and we all hope they get that right.

Last edited by Hylton; 04-03-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
And as far as HUD, I can easily imagine having one in my next Camaro.
Hey, I like this guy! You just made my day man, something else to look forward to. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by squiresz
Hey, I like this guy! You just made my day man, something else to look forward to. Thanks!
Just saying that I can imagine it. Can't you? They do make aftermarket HUD's right?

I just think that with more and more cars having them, it would fit nicely.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 AM
BBOMG Organizer

I hope GM is not going to rely on the aftermarket to make this car right.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 AM

Yes I can definitely imagine it, it makes sense. I hope its not ONLY an after market option though.

But since we're imagining things, I can also imagine key-less entry and start like the C6. That would also be sweet. But of the two I think the HUD has a better shot at production.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 AM

The HUD if it is available (in production) should NOT be aftermarket. Use the technology from the vette and make it part of a special performance package. I for one would pay for it, as would many other Camaro lovers.

There are some people out there that just want a high performance special edition kick *** Camaro with all the bells and whistles. If the car is done half-*** then you basically have a mustang production type car. If GM is strictly looking at selling a high volume number of cars than that is what we can expect, .......basic basic basic. If they want to cater to the loyal and faithful then they should give them what they have been waiting for with options. Some people out there are looking to buy one of these things for the sunday drive, something that they will keep for a long time. The 69 was the most option choiced car ever produced. Some of the stuff was off the wall...(The ice traction spray cans) but there was other stuff that highly coveted. Such as the 396SS - 375hp.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hylton
Hahahaha! I wasn't saying anything of the sort, I was just saying that as kind of a joke. I don't even know if there are any decent aftermarket HUDs out there, I never looked. Sheesh!

Again, I just think that with more and more cars having them, it would fit nicely.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by kissel
The HUD if it is available (in production) should NOT be aftermarket. Use the technology from the vette and make it part of a special performance package. I for one would pay for it, as would many other Camaro lovers.

There are some people out there that just want a high performance special edition kick *** Camaro with all the bells and whistles. If the car is done half-*** then you basically have a mustang production type car. If GM is strictly looking at selling a high volume number of cars than that is what we can expect, .......basic basic basic. If they want to cater to the loyal and faithful then they should give them what they have been waiting for with options. Some people out there are looking to buy one of these things for the sunday drive, something that they will keep for a long time. The 69 was the most option choiced car ever produced. Some of the stuff was off the wall...(The ice traction spray cans) but there was other stuff that highly coveted. Such as the 396SS - 375hp.

Scott, give this guy a job. We need to be able to personalize the 5th gen from the factory, not the aftermarket. Performance packages (more than one), handling packages, appearance packages (more than one), and convenience packages will allow owners to buy something unique.

As Kissel mentioned, the 69 Camaro had so many available options and color combos that you could actually have something nobody else had eventhough they sold over 240,000 of them.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
This is what I assume happens when you clinic a car to death. 35% don't like this feature, so GM changes it, then 35% don't like the way the new one looks, so they change it, then 35%... etc and pretty soon you end up with a 2003 Malibu looking car that no one really dislikes, but no one really likes, either.
I agree - just because 35% of people didn't like it, doesn't mean there needs to be 12 different grills. Personally I haven't like *any* of the alternative grills that people have photoshopped onto the car, but I LOVE the original - but that doesn't mean that GM must accommodate me. They have to do what works best for the car and the majority of buyers.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

As enthusiasts, why would you want to be surprised by the final product? I would rather have everyone post their comments here for GM insiders to read before making final decisions.
I think you're working from a false premise here - you're assuming that by our stating our desires for the car we will not be surprised by the final product. But in fact, there should be surprises because like an enigmatic genie, GM won't tell us which wishes it grants. And as an enthusiast, I would think that would be ok with you.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Just saying that I can imagine it. Can't you? They do make aftermarket HUD's right?

I just think that with more and more cars having them, it would fit nicely.
Do they make aftermarket HUDs? I haven't seen one...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Personally I haven't liked *any* of the alternative grills that people have photoshopped onto the car, but I LOVE the original - but that doesn't mean that GM must accommodate me.
Exactly and if that is the grill that more people would like than any other design than that's what they should be putting on the car.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I think you're working from a false premise here - you're assuming that by our stating our desires for the car we will not be surprised by the final product. But in fact, there should be surprises because like an enigmatic genie, GM won't tell us which wishes it grants. And as an enthusiast, I would think that would be ok with you.
Well I must admit that lately, I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the new products. The new Saturn line, the new Pick-ups, the C6 seem to be products that are not only beautiful, but also technically advanced and well priced. I hope the new Camaro follows suit.

Most of my surprises in the past were negative one's like the Aztec, Malibu and early style Avalanche.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

As Kissel mentioned, the 69 Camaro had so many available options and color combos that you could actually have something nobody else had eventhough they sold over 240,000 of them.
There's alot to do with efficiencies on the assembly line that will force GM to group many of the options into packages as opposed to making them single standalone orderable options.... it gets into nitty gritty financial numbers, but numbers Wall Street pays very close attention to. It's not the 60s any longer. GM has to be cost competetive in their manufacturing pratices vs today's competitors.

but that being said.... I think GM will indeed deliver a robust offering of options that will appeal to all types of Camaro buyers.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM

Man are you a rain cloud! GM (and especially Scott) has *never* made a statement to the effect that the aftermarket will make the car right! So why would you make that comment??

And btw, why would you know more about GM's business than they do? GM needs a commercially successful car - if any feature (like HUD or HID) helps them achieve that, then it will be there. Making the car "right" has nothing to do with buyers needing to add features or performance via aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Very general question for Scott.....