2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very general question for Scott.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Hylton
As enthusiasts, why would you want to be surprised by the final product? I would rather have everyone post their comments here for GM insiders to read before making final decisions. For example, 35% of people who answered my exterior pole does not like the grill design in the 5th gen prototype. Hopefully that stat will have designers revisit the look of the grill (not every egg crate grill has to have holes the size of Caddy grills).

We also have the opportunity to let GM know how we feel about the branding of the car. No more Z/28-SS cars! Either it's an SS or it's a Z/28.

when did we offer a Z28/SS???

SLP originally made some stickers and shirts with Z28/SS -- and we put a stop to it. There is no such thing as a Z28/SS.......period!

As to the grill.......what makes you think there's only one? Further, I'd bet that there will be more than one company making 'special' grilles for the Camaro..........the idea is to personalize.

Trust me when I say that we're listening to the enthusiast community....I have met with thousands over the past 10 years-- writing their comments down........but more importantly-- the team reads the comments on several sites. (this being one of them 'cuz it's the largest..)

We are listening......but I caution you -- I cannot get everyone to agree on any one subject.....so there will be those who are elated...and there will be a few that are not happy because we did not listen to them...........the majority, however, should be very very happy.

Last edited by Fbodfather; 04-02-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:29 PM
BBOMG Organizer

When the SS initially made the magazines, you marketed the car to them as a Z28 SS:

Both my '97 and '01 SS cars are technically Z/28's as far as engineering goes; same motor, same tranny, same rear-end, same interior, same paint options (except for a few colors which customers were not able to order with the SS option). Yes they have a nicer rear spoiler, nicer hood and nicer wheels but my SS cars are no faster than a Z/28 of the same year.

As far as the 5th gen is concerned, I do not want to be driving a Z/28 when I buy an SS. I want performance options and paint options that make both models clearly different from one another.

My '69 and '70 Z/28's have engines and paint options that were RPO specific. The SS Camaros from those years also had engines that were available only to RPO Z27.

Honestly, you could have named the 4th gen SS package the RS package because it had more to do with appearance than performance. Don't try and sell a car as something more than it really is.

When the new GM mini-van restyling came out a few years ago which featured a more pronounced front end, GM started marketing them as cross over vehicles. I remember the TV spots "It's not an SUV and it's not a mini-van". Common now - who are you trying to fool? You have too many spin doctors working in marketing.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
when did we offer a Z28/SS???

SLP originally made some stickers and shirts with Z28/SS -- and we put a stop to it. There is no such thing as a Z28/SS.......period!

As to the grill.......what makes you think there's only one? Further, I'd bet that there will be more than one company making 'special' grilles for the Camaro..........the idea is to personalize.

Trust me when I say that we're listening to the enthusiast community....I have met with thousands over the past 10 years-- writing their comments down........but more importantly-- the team reads the comments on several sites. (this being one of them 'cuz it's the largest..)

We are listening......but I caution you -- I cannot get everyone to agree on any one subject.....so there will be those who are elated...and there will be a few that are not happy because we did not listen to them...........the majority, however, should be very very happy.
So you are trying to tell me that My 2001 SS isnt also a Z/28???

So if i took off my wheels(at least my factory ones), my hood, my spoiler, my SS logo seats, and that nice little badge on my dash, what would it be???

IT WOULD BE A Z/28!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 PM

You cant EVER make everybody happy.

But...In Scott we Trust.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:14 AM

I think the 4th gen SS's have the Z28 RPO code too dont they?

Im sure that whatever the 5th gen comes with, and or without, or with the option to add, be it dealer or factory, we'll be surprised and pleased with the outcome, or at least those of us that like the design overall will be. As yall have said, cant please everyone.

I for one, if i have the money, Ill buy one. Preferablly order one specifically for me. But If it means i'd have to get rid of one of my other 4 camaros, i dont think ill do it yet.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
So if i took off my wheels(at least my factory ones), my hood, my spoiler, my SS logo seats, and that nice little badge on my dash, what would it be???

IT WOULD BE A Z/28!!!
Yes sir!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Admin Emeritus

When the SS initially made the magazines, you marketed the car to them as a Z28 SS:
Incorrect. GM/Chevrolet did not have have anything to do with the 1996 SS, including marketing. At that point, it was entirely in SLP's hands because it was an add-on package installed after the car left the factory and before it arrived at some dealerships. They were doing the car on their own at that time. If I remember the short story is that it was called Z28 SS until just before the production cars were completed and then approval to call is just "SS" was granted at the last minute. The magazine article posted was before that happened.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 AM
BBOMG Organizer

As to the grill.......what makes you think there's only one?
Let's see -

How many grills did the 93-97 Camaros have? 1 (if you want to call it a grill).
How many grills did the 98-02 Camaros have? 1 (Yes SLP did offer their own).
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by JasonD
Incorrect. GM/Chevrolet did not have have anything to do with the 1996 SS, including marketing. At that point, it was entirely in SLP's hands because it was an add-on package installed after the car left the factory and before it arrived at some dealerships. They were doing the car on their own at that time. If I remember the short story is that it was called Z28 SS until just before the production cars were completed and then approval to call is just "SS" was granted at the last minute. The magazine article posted was before that happened.

My point is that guys who own 4th gen SS know that they are driving nothing more than a dressed up Z/28. Every SS is also a Z/28.

Just wondering, is a new GT500 Shelby Mustang also a GT? Mmm.....
Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

How many grills did the 93-97 Camaros have? 1 (if you want to call it a grill).
How many grills did the 98-02 Camaros have? 1 (Yes SLP did offer their own).
We are not talking about the 4th gen here. This is the 5th gen forum. The past canot be changed but I wouldn't expect it to be repeated, either.

My point is that guys who own 4th gen SS know that they are driving nothing more than a dressed up Z/28. Every SS is also a Z/28.
Which has nothing to do with the topic nor the accusation you made that GM marketed the 1996 Z28/SS, which they did not and that is the only thing I wanted to clarify.

This thread has nothing to do with 4th gens or what constitutes an SS or a Z28. I think you are splitting the wrong hairs, picking the wrong words apart and barking up the wrong tree.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 AM

For example, 35% of people who answered my exterior pole does not like the grill design in the 5th gen prototype.
This is what I assume happens when you clinic a car to death. 35% don't like this feature, so GM changes it, then 35% don't like the way the new one looks, so they change it, then 35%... etc and pretty soon you end up with a 2003 Malibu looking car that no one really dislikes, but no one really likes, either.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 AM

I'm pretty sure Scott was just trying to say you couldn't have a 4th gen Z28/SS just like you couldn't have a 4th gen RS/SS... NOT that an SS wasn't an upgraded Z28.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM

Scott.............I know that this has been brought up here a few times but no one has really answered......is the HUD a strong posibility in '09 or am I just dreaming. I am sure you can answer that question without really giving an answer....
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by JasonD
We are not talking about the 4th gen here. This is the 5th gen forum. The past canot be changed but I wouldn't expect it to be repeated, either.

Which has nothing to do with the topic nor the accusation you made that GM marketed the 1996 Z28/SS, which they did not and that is the only thing I wanted to clarify.

This thread has nothing to do with 4th gens or what constitutes an SS or a Z28. I think you are splitting the wrong hairs, picking the wrong words apart and barking up the wrong tree.
I disagree with you Jason. My bringing up previous generations is to identify where GM had made errors in the past that hopefully, will not repeat itself in the 5th gen.

Scott asked me what made me think there would only be one grill so I told him why and yes my answer was based on what they did for the 4th gen. If you want to make a Camaro, regardless of whether it is a 5th gen, 6th gen, 7th gen, etc., you must ALWAYS discuss the past or your not going to be building a true Camaro.

Not being able to discuss the past to help make the future better is rediculous.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

I disagree with you Jason. My bringing up previous generations is to identify where GM had made errors in the past that hopefully, will not repeat itself in the 5th gen.
You said GM marketed the Z28/SS. That was an error that GM did NOT make. So GM can't exactly repeat that mistake because they didn't make it in the first place. I just wanted to clarify that and maybe steer things back on topic, nothing more.

Scott asked me what made me think there would only be one grill so I told him why and yes my answer was based on what they did for the 4th gen.
Scott's question was rhetorical. You can slice a few words out of that and it becomes statement right in front of your face. Like I said, you are picking the wrong words apart...maybe even mine.

And as far as HUD, I can easily imagine having one in my next Camaro.

Quick Reply: Very general question for Scott.....