2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Very general question for Scott.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 AM

Very general question for Scott.....

Scott,

With the enthusiasm for the Camaro, fans have been devouring every single detail about the car and running with them - everything from wheel sizes to engines to color/strip combinations. It sometimes feels like we won't be surprised when the car comes out because so many ideas have already been suggested thus far.

So my question is this - how surprised will we be when this car comes out?

For myself, I'd be surprised if HID and HUD made the cut for available options (although personally I'd get them both in a heartbeat), and I don't see another color combination REALLY competing with the Yellow metallic/black stripe that I would like.......but honestly, I want to flip through the brochure and be blown away by some things - anything - even though the overall look of the car won't change.......is that possible at this point?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Good question!

Let's face it......enthusiasts want to know ALL the details -- and with the advent of the internet, it's pretty hard to keep stuff secret.

(i.e. me having a stroke when the pics of the Silver 'clown-suited' car hit the 'net in December of 2005......)

Let me say this: we're listening to the enthusiast community.........more about that soon.........
Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Let me say this: we're listening to the enthusiast community.........more about that soon.........
[Dangles watch on chain]Z/28... Z/28... Z/28... Z/28...[/Dangles watch on chain]

Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Good question!

Let's face it......enthusiasts want to know ALL the details -- and with the advent of the internet, it's pretty hard to keep stuff secret.

(i.e. me having a stroke when the pics of the Silver 'clown-suited' car hit the 'net in December of 2005......)

Soon as in major car show soon maybe?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver2009
NY maybe???

If I am forced to drag my roommate with me to NY for the auto show again (I drug him last year since it was going to be my only chance to see the Camaro) he's gonna kill me. LOL (Unfortunately I have no friends whatsoever that share my interest in the Camaro or cars in general.)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Silver2009

no -- not sure what you meant by that -- but if you mean that we're going to suddenly drop a 'production' Camaro in an autoshow anytime soon -- not going to happen.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
Scott,

With the enthusiasm for the Camaro, fans have been devouring every single detail about the car and running with them - everything from wheel sizes to engines to color/strip combinations. It sometimes feels like we won't be surprised when the car comes out because so many ideas have already been suggested thus far.

So my question is this - how surprised will we be when this car comes out?

For myself, I'd be surprised if HID and HUD made the cut for available options (although personally I'd get them both in a heartbeat), and I don't see another color combination REALLY competing with the Yellow metallic/black stripe that I would like.......but honestly, I want to flip through the brochure and be blown away by some things - anything - even though the overall look of the car won't change.......is that possible at this point?
well put, and I would love a HUD as well

Scott, thanks for your replys
Old 03-31-2007, 08:45 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

We do share a concern -- and that is that because the concept was shown even before the program was officially approved-- and that the Camaro will come off an entirely NEW platform......that there is a long time between unveil and your ability to actually purchase one.

If you think about it-- how long could we say "keep the faith" and have you believe us? I think some of you will agree that there were people out there that thought I was "full of it" when I'd continually say "keep the faith" --

So.........it was important to send a signal that we were serious about bringing the Camaro back --and thus the powerful unveil of an American Icon on January 9, 2006...... but -- and this is important >>>

>>>>the New Camaro MUST be able to live up to its Iconic name!<<<<

.......and therefore, you necessarily have quite some time between unveil of a concept -- and when you can actually buy the car.

Now...if this were just any car -- you would have a select few out there looking for information on the car -- but with a car that evokes the passion of Camaro.....you have tens of thousands -- some would say hundreds of thousands - with laser-like focus ....trying to find out every possible detail.

That does not escape us....and while I'm prone to have 'fits' when something leaks -- we DO understand that it's your passion for the product that drives you to find out every minute detail......it's just that there are some things we want to keep secret from a competitive standpoint...and some that we'd prefer to have some control over. (such as a good picture versus one that isn't very flattering......)

I realize that I'm rambling here -- but the point is that we want to surprise and delight -- and that's pretty difficult with the advent of the internet.

Suppose for a minute that we'd been able to keep EVERYTHING under wraps....and that we'd never shown a concept Camaro -- and we suddenly drop a production intent Camaro onto the floor in a major autoshow....

.......WOW -- what an impact.......but frankly, I don't think that's possible anymore -- not with the number of suppliers and people involved-- and the internet and camera-phones..........

I do believe you'll be pleased with the finished product.....

Also know that your fellow enthusiasts have had a say in many many decisions. (can you say "Confidentiality Agreement???")

Last edited by Fbodfather; 03-31-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 PM

Hey Scott - thanks for the great answers! I can totally understand your points, and it sounds to be like "Yes", we'll all be surprised WITHIN REASON.

If you think about it-- how long could we say "keep the faith" and have you believe us? I think some of you will agree that there were people out there that thought I was "full of it" when I'd continually say "keep the faith" --
I totally agree with this - and honestly, I was SO impressed when I saw the concept (specifically leaked images) that I never doubted GM's commitment. Had the concept not looked so good or so complete, I would have had doubts. I can still remember how thrilled I was at that time - so thrilled I had to show my wife, friends, family, everyone - because the design of the car was SO good!

I realize that I'm rambling here -- but the point is that we want to surprise and delight -- and that's pretty difficult with the advent of the internet.
I'm glad to hear this -and when I asked the question originally, it was with the assumption that the "big" stuff would be known - like the look of the car, and the overall look of the interior. I'm not even that curious about horsepower numbers (blasphemy on this board, I know) because I know that GM isn't going to drop this highly visible ball, and from my own experience GM's powertrain development is the best in the business.

For myself, I'm pretty realistic about what surprises I want to see with the production car - it's really all small stuff - stuff that can still be controlled, despite so much having been revealed already.

.......WOW -- what an impact.......but frankly, I don't think that's possible anymore -- not with the number of suppliers and people involved-- and the internet and camera-phones..........
I'd probably dispute this if I weren't currently working in the automotive business. I see SO many things that no one ever intends me to see, and if I *really* put my mind to it, I could distribute information - but I don't want to turn the industry into a police state, and frankly, bragging rights aren't worth hurting companies and the people that spend every day trying to build better cars.

Also know that your fellow enthusiasts have had a say in many many decisions. (can you say "Confidentiality Agreement???")
Oh - to be a member of that group...........

I also want to add that GM is the most impressive company in the business right now. I'd leave my current job in a heartbeat to work at GM (and I've been trying). But the reason isn't what everyone probably thinks - it's not the Camaro's return - instead it's what the Camaro represents, along with the new Saturns, the new Malibu, and really every new product they're working on.

There's a real energy about the place - a real desire to be the best. And the most impressive thing that I see (and Camaro embodies it perfectly) is the attitude that says, "Come get us". It's like GM as a company wants everyone else gunning for them, and that's awesome to see.

I'm not a life-long GM fan like some folks (mostly Trans Am / Camaro) and I've owned and loved some imports. But seeing how other auto companies run, how suppliers run, and how business is done between them, I truly think the way to succeed in this day and age is to be the best and force everyone else to step up their games to keep up with you - and GM looks like they are doing exactly that. Hats off to you Scott, and everyone else there who's striving to be the best! It gives all of us who aren't there hope that there's a better way!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Banned

GM most impressive company in business right now
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MENEGRANDE

HAHAHAHAHAHAH ....BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...ahhhh..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh man, you kill me, you really do. Hilarious, really.

Last edited by 67 LS-1 & T-56; 03-31-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: it just wasn't sarcastic enough
Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I also want to add that GM is the most impressive company in the business right now.
Originally Posted by MENEGRANDE
Please note that originally I said "THE" business - y'know, as in the automotive business and not business in general.

I'm not an idiot, I know there are a lot of businesses doing well, but I don't see anyone really striving to change their fundamental practices like GM is doing. Suppliers are struggling for every ounce of profit they can get (due to price pressures and material costs), Chrysler is struggling with sales, Ford is struggling with everything, Nissan has product issues and their sales are flattening, Honda is playing it safe with their new products and Toyota is having major quality issues, where quality is sole selling point.

Is GM perfect? Nope. Is GM the best? No. But GM is trying to become a different company, whereas the others are sticking with business as usual. To me that attitude is what makes them impressive.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:55 AM

I want to be surprised with GPS and a 6-speed auto with paddle shifters!

Though I will unlikely buy the Camaro the first year out... I usually wait a year or two for the bugs to be worked out.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 AM

I want GPS and a brilliant BLUE (like the blue offered on the SSR) Please, Please Please???
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
BBOMG Organizer

As enthusiasts, why would you want to be surprised by the final product? I would rather have everyone post their comments here for GM insiders to read before making final decisions. For example, 35% of people who answered my exterior pole does not like the grill design in the 5th gen prototype. Hopefully that stat will have designers revisit the look of the grill (not every egg crate grill has to have holes the size of Caddy grills).

We also have the opportunity to let GM know how we feel about the branding of the car. No more Z/28-SS cars! Either it's an SS or it's a Z/28.

Last edited by Hylton; 04-02-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: why not

Quick Reply: Very general question for Scott.....