2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Think they wished it was called a z28?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Yep, and Chevy even made more than one...

Yeah! That's what I'm talkin about. The Z stands for PERFORMANCE.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Yep, and Chevy even made more than one...

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Yeah! That's what I'm talkin about. The Z stands for PERFORMANCE.
Yuck it up guys.

You may not like the Lumina or other GM products from the early nineties, but the Z34 represented a respectable effort by Chevy to deliver a max performance ...umm...Lumina. Beyond it's exclusive DOHC 3.4L V6, which Chevy was breaking new ground with, it also had an upgraded trans, specific suspension tune, and unique cosmetics.

Soon, you guys will also post pictures of the Beretta GTZ/Z26 and Cavalier Z24.

The GTZ was THE best handling FWD which GM had ever produced up until that time, and it's 2.3L L-4 put out 190 hp (IIRC), waaaay back then. It's performance was nothing to take lightly.

The Z24 with it's 2.8/3.1L V6's was probably the best bang for your buck performance package in it's day.

Oh yes, I know - none of them came with an LS1....

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-02-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yuck it up guys.

You may not like the Celebrity or other GM products from the early nineties, but the Z34 represented a respectable effort by Chevy to deliver a max performance ...umm...Celebrity. Beyond it's exclusive DOHC 3.4L V6, which Chevy was breaking new ground with, it also had an upgraded trans, specific suspension tune, and unique cosmetics.

The GTZ was THE best handling FWD which GM had ever produced up until that time, and it's 2.3L L-4 put out 190 hp (IIRC), waaaay back then. It's performance was nothing to take lightly.

The Z24 with it's 2.8/3.1L V6's was probably the best bang for your buck performance package in it's day.

Oh yes, I know - none of them came with an LS1....
So just to make something clear, (for arguments sake in the SS vs Z28 discussions) the Z34 is worthy of getting an explanation rationalizing it's worthiness of the Z badge because of its suspension and "unique cosmetic" upgrades. But the Z-crew scrutinizes GM for using the SS badge too much on "under-performing" cars and vehicles that are just dressed up cosmetically with minor suspension/performance mods. Hmm...

I see how it is.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM

So just to make something clear, (for arguments sake in the SS vs Z28 discussions) the Z34 is worthy of getting an explanation rationalizing it's worthiness of the Z badge because of its suspension and "unique cosmetic" upgrades. But the Z-crew scrutinizes GM for using the SS badge too much on "under-performing" cars and vehicles that are just dressed up cosmetically with minor suspension/performance mods. Hmm...

I see how it is.
The Lumina Z34, like z284Ever said, had a DOHC 3.4 (210 horsepower) and did 0-60 in about 7 seconds.

That's 70 more horsepower than the 3.1 V6 Lumina. So I wouldn't call it just suspension and unique cosmetics.

However by "exclusive" I assume he means to the Z34 model at Chevrolet? The LQ1 was also used in the Cutlass Supreme and Grand Prix.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:18 PM

I've also thought about a Cobalt SS as a daily driver. I'd have to get rid of that big wing though.
The low wing is standard on the Cobalt SS/TC. You actually have to pay extra for the park bench now.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
The Lumina Z34, like z284Ever said, had a DOHC 3.4 (210 horsepower) and did 0-60 in about 7 seconds.

That's 70 more horsepower than the 3.1 V6 Lumina. So I wouldn't call it just suspension and unique cosmetics.

However by "exclusive" I assume he means to the Z34 model at Chevrolet? The LQ1 was also used in the Cutlass Supreme and Grand Prix.
Oh I know what they made for power, and I know how they performed. I've driven them on many different occasions. While they may have performed better than the base model Luminas, the bottom line is that they were slugs. I'm just wondering how the almighty Z badge could wind up on a slug, and how it can be justified by the Z-crew, whereas the Cobalt gets slammed for having an SS badge, yet it runs 13s and traps 106 mph.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM

The low wing is standard on the Cobalt SS/TC. You actually have to pay extra for the park bench now.
"Park bench" Maybe they should have an option for a little mini swingset to hang from the wing. That would be fun.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Oh I know what they made for power, and I know how they performed. I've driven them on many different occasions. While they may have performed better than the base model Luminas, the bottom line is that they were slugs. I'm just wondering how the almighty Z badge could wind up on a slug, and how it can be justified by the Z-crew, whereas the Cobalt gets slammed for having an SS badge, yet it runs 13s and traps 106 mph.
I apologize - I thought your initial post made it sound like you were referring only to the Z34 having cosmetic and suspension tweaks with no added power -

"The Z34 is worthy of getting an explanation rationalizing it's worthiness of the Z badge because of its suspension and "unique cosmetic" upgrades."
Whereas I think the thing that could possibly justify a "Z" was the special engine. A 7 second 0-60 is faster than most Z28s from just a few years prior, to its release, so that could be a factor as well.

I don't think many people have said that the Cobalt SS Supercharged or turbocharged weren't worthy. I think there was far more outcry when they added the 2.4 SS.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm not quite sure who would slam the Cobalt SS. I think that it's a pretty cool car and performs great.

Getting back to the Z34, slug compared to what?

I think you're just trying to get into an argument.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM

I think there was far more outcry when they added the 2.4 SS.
Now that's a slug. Get's good mpg tho.

I'm not quite sure who would slam the Cobalt SS. I think that it's a pretty cool car and performs great.

Getting back to the Z34, slug compared to what?

I think you're just trying to get into an argument.
Me? Argue? Never.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM

I don't see the difference between what GM/Chevy did with the Z badges in the early 90's and what they have done with the SS badge models today. It's just basic premium upgrades over standard equipment. It's all marketing and really that is the history of the SS in the 60's and Z/28 as well. GM is in the business of selling cars and if they can get the public to pay more for a vehicle over a base model only because they add some suspension, engine changes and/or performance options they will do it and stick whatever letter/number V, Z06, SS, Z, GXP, WS6, RS, LTZ... etc. they feel will help sell the most vehicles.
To somehow sit here and decide that a Z26 and Z34 used on Beretta's and Lumina's doesn't water down the Z brand but using SS on Cobalt’s and Impala's does is ridiculous. What is relevant is that Chevy has used the SS and Z badges on many vehicles including trucks. It was done for marketing and there is no rule book on what is a Z or SS model is other than what fits into the Chevy brand marketing at the time, based on what they feel will sell the most.
This certainly drives the Z vs. SS debate to a new low.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I don't see the difference between what GM/Chevy did with the Z badges in the early 90's and what they have done with the SS badge models today. It's just basic premium upgrades over standard equipment. It's all marketing and really that is the history of the SS in the 60's and Z/28 as well. GM is in the business of selling cars and if they can get the public to pay more for a vehicle over a base model only because they add some suspension, engine changes and/or performance options they will do it and stick whatever letter/number V, Z06, SS, Z, GXP, WS6, RS, LTZ... etc. they feel will help sell the most vehicles.
To somehow sit here and decide that a Z26 and Z34 used on Beretta's and Lumina's doesn't water down the Z brand but using SS on Cobalt’s and Impala's does is ridiculous. What is relevant is that Chevy has used the SS and Z badges on many vehicles including trucks. It was done for marketing and there is no rule book on what is a Z or SS model is other than what fits into the Chevy brand marketing at the time, based on what they feel will sell the most.
This certainly drives the Z vs. SS debate to a new low.
Very well put.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

couldnt resist... wife's car before the GTO.. a '98 Z24 5 speed vert

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Unhappy

I say what I am about to say having owned 3 Formulas, 2 manual, 1 auto and a 95 Z28.

I think GM is going to soft ball this car into mediocrity. They have taken FAR too long to get it done while Mustang people have been laughing for the past 6 years. I watched the video of the 2 guys and the "roll out" in the garage. All I can say is what is GM thinking? Have they lost their minds? These guys are a couple of middle aged, at best, suits that have all the excitement of a 10 year old Cavalier. As they stood in their Jos. A. Bank clothes talking about mush Opels, etc., my thoughts were that Ford had the young and hip Vietnamese guy that was in charge of the current Mustang- a home run by any measure, and Carrol Shelby pitching their car. GM cant find any one more exciting than these 2 Starbucks swilling corporate types?

The new Camaro needs to be in 4 simple flavors-
1. BASE coupe-A price leader for young first job just out of school types that want a Camaro, but have tight budgets. 6 cylinder engine, Cloth seats, basic A/C-heat controls, single CD palyer, manual windows, locks etc. Something in the 18 or 19k range.
2. RS-6 cylinder or small v8, manual or auto trans, upgraded interior with available power equipment, sound systems, etc.
3. SS-All the luxury stuff and the range of performance V8's, trannys, rear diff's, etc. Upgraded cloth or nice leather-suede, whatever.
4. Z/28- This would be the base coupe with all the high performance equip. including the choice of perf. V8s. Keep it standard with the manualwindows, no satellite radio crap, etc. Upgraded supsension.

I hope I didn't **** anyone off, but I am driving an 08 Mustang GT right now that is cloth interior, manual, no spoiler, etc. because I needed a new car.

In May there will be 3 to choose from, refreshened Mustang, kick butt Challenger or the new Camaro.......which is what I originally thought I would end up in for sure to match the 69 that is in my garage now.
But the more I see of people like on that video, the more I wonder is GM still knows what made cars great in the heyday of the late 60's. I mean, good god, who really wears sport coats anymore? Well- BUICK LeSabre drivers I guess...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 PM

Trucks used the "Z" branding too. So is the Z branding over used too?

Quick Reply: Think they wished it was called a z28?